1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone else play through 4x12 cabs??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by OneWayPunk, Sep 30, 2008.

1. So I picked up an old ROAD 4x12 cab that I believe is from the 70's before Rickenbacker bought out the company. It has a logo and serial number plate from Griffin Music Company in LA on the back. This cab is HUGE and built like a tank, it actually looks like an ATA road case except for the front where the speaker grills are.
    After rewiring it back to 8 ohms (some idiot had it wired in series for 32 ohms) I stuck my Sound City/Hiwatt DR201 clone on top of it and cranked it up.

Man...this cab sounds amazing. HUGE deep bass, great mids, nice upper range as well. And it looks so damn good under the SC that I think it's going to be my new gigging cab. I have been looking for a 4x12 cab in a standard configuration for a while now and I am stoked to have found a good one. I know it's not specifically a bass cab, but bass players back in the day did use them.
    Do any of you use a 4x12 guitar style cab.
    Do you find it lacking low end in gig situations?

I'll snap a pick of the stack later and post it up as I know nothing really exists without pictures. I cannot find a pic of this cab anywhere on the internet, but it looks very cool.

2. Here is a pic of the cab in an old ROAD ad

Attached Files:

• road.JPG
      road.JPG
      File size:
      21.3 KB
      Views:
  3. smeet

smeet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    32 Ohms??? Yow.
    How much does that thing weigh? It looks huge...

I play through an Aguilar GS412, but that's a diagonal arrangement, so probably a good deal smaller, ~116 lbs. No lack of low end on this thing...

4. andrewd

andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    I've been using a Schroeder 4x12 for over a year. One of the best gear choices I've ever made.

5. Yeah I dunno why it was wired that way. Maybe someone was hooking up 4 of them in parallel or something.
    Believe it or not it's not as heavy as you would think looking at it. It is HUGE though, and very well built.

6. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    I'd love to play through a 4x12. But a cab with that kind of bulk is just not feasible in the city. So I'm gonna get around it by buying four (4) three-way 1x12 cabs, and stacking 'em.... :cool:

MM

7. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
    I have two SWR 4x12's and two 2x12's.

8. Datsgor

Datsgor Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2000
    California
    I have been using a Peavey 4x12 with Black Widows and wired at 4 ohms for about 18 years. It is perfect and ballsy. My only complaint is that I have never put a tube head through it, which I am currently working on....I think and SVT or Boogie would kick butt through this cab. It is heavy and a pain to haul around, but the tone is so good, I just can't use anything else. as a diclaimer, i must say i also have an Eden 4x10 that I use on occasion when the stage is going to be small. Anyway. long live the 4x12!

9. T-Forty

T-Forty Guest

Mar 14, 2008
    I read about the Marshall lemmy signature rig in a UK bass mag this week. One cab is 4x10 and the bottom cab is 4x12. It looks like a nasty beast of a thing and I'd love to hear one in person.

10. Well I took the Road cab and SC head to practice last night and it's a winner.
    Cuts through wonderfully and great solid low end. I play in drop D and the cab had no issues at all with the low D, no farting or distortion.
    Man I am so stoked on this thing.

I have been using my Ampeg SVT15E and 210HE stack for probably the last 8 years and didn't think I would find any cab setup that I like as well but I have now. I am now on a mission to find another of these cabs just so I can have the stupid large stack for the occasional outdoor gig.

:bassist::bassist:

11. bourzia

bourzia

Dec 17, 2004
    I've been using a Fender PA135 > Carvin 4x12 guitar cab
    I play a Schecter Hellcat VI and guitar through it and it sounds great
    plenty of low(for me) but I don't really go for a "traditional" bass sound

I'm a big fan of nomeansno check this:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37940

XontheP likes this.
  12. I gave away a Road 4x12 a couple of years ago.

It was given to me, and I gave it to the guitar player in my band at the time.

I'm kicking myself for that. I must've been feeling really generous. Or really drunk.

In all honesty, it didn't sound all that cool. I never tried it for bass, but I was running it side by side with my Marshall 4x12 and the Road just *lacked* It was probably 10-15 pounds heavier than my Marshall- and that was probably the biggest deciding factor. (I probably could have put casters on it) The only thing that would've been cool about the Road is that it was a Road.

For those of you that are unfamiliar with Road- they were the precursor to Mesa's Road Ready series. Not just corner protectors- they had full edge protectors. The grilles were individual to each speaker. There were no-name speakers that I didn't recognize in my old 4x12. Road was made by the same guy that did ROSS effects- If I'm not mistaken that's the same familial line as Kustom and Earth. I didn't know that Rickenbacker had bought them.

13. The speakers are Road branded Eminence as far as I can tell.

I can see how this cab would not be all that hot for guitar. It's ported and has tons of low end.

14. manjonning

manjonning

May 18, 2006
    Minneapolis
    I had a geezer model ampeg 412...loved the sound but my back hated it... and with out a SUV transportation was a bitch...but it did rip!

15. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    I'd love a Powerhouse 412 or DB412... and like yesterday!!! :hyper::hyper::hyper:

16. bassplayertom77

bassplayertom77

Sep 24, 2008
    I used to have a Peavey 4x12 with Sheffield speakers, I think. Weighed a ton and was the size of a stove. Now I play a 2x10 combo, with wheels.

Getting that thing up and down stairs was a royal pain in the a**.

17. bagman

bagman

Sep 28, 2005
    SE Florida
    +2 on the Augie 412. I really don't what sound biased, but I am.
    :ninja:

18. almix12

almix12

Apr 3, 2008
    i once heard marshall put out a 8X12 cab
    yes
    eight 12 inch speakers
    if anyone could verify this it would be good but yeah, 412s aren't THAAAT uncommon..

19. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    That sounds familiar...I'd buy something like that! Electric/Matamp/etc has a bunch of really huge bass cabs and Emperor makes some really sweet ones too that can be immense.

I got the Aguilar GS412...not the traditional guitar cab 4x12 but still the best cabinet I've ever played through besides the Ampeg Gene Simmons Ltd. Ed. 2x15.

20. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I have 2 rigs - the heavy one the roadies carry around for me (6x10's), plus two lightweight DIY cabs that have that I keep with me for gigs where I have to lug my own gear. Each cab has 2x12's so 4x12's all up. I LOVE this rig. But I only built it because there was nothing like it commercially available at the time...... That's no longer the case......that Schroeder 412 is an absolute monster as Andrewd says. It's about the same size as a 410, but is as loud as hell and sounds awesome!