1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone Else Snore?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by 43% burnt, Dec 29, 2006.

1. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    I've always been an occasional snorer. Mostly due to the position I sleep in, seems worse if I'm on my back. It never really bothered me, but apparently it's growing to epic proportions. The last 2 nights I've woken my woman up out of a deep sleep with my thunderous snoring. She's a heavy sleeper too. She claims she couldn't believe the noises that were "coming out of my face". I don't believe it's as bad as she says it is, she claims that she'll video tape it next time to prove to me just how monstrous my snoring is...lol.:p

Anyway, I gotta do something about it before I end up on the couch...permanently.:rollno:

Any suggestions?

2. PDubs

PDubs

Aug 22, 2006
    NYC
    I rattle the walls. It's bad. Many a girlfriend has moved me to the couch. Not much you can do about it, outside of surgery.

Those breathe-right strips are supposed to help a little , but I've never tried it.

3. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger Commercial User

Sep 22, 2005
    Not Mars
    The Overlord of Nordstrand Pickups
    Yep, some nights it drives the woman nuts.

I researched it, cutting down on smoking, alcohol, and weight are key measures. Check one and two for me, the third... hasn't really happened yet. It's better than it was, as she hasn't complained much for awhile, but maybe she's just getting used to it.

I've found that tilting my head back helps, but it's hard to keep that position all night.

Also there's a difference between snoring and sleep apnea. I've shared a room with snorers before, it's funny and slightly annoying. Seeing apnea in action is downright frightening.

4. purduebass

purduebass \m/ Metal User \m/

Sep 27, 2006
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Endorsing Artist: Chaz Farkass Basses
    Yeah, I feel bad for my gf too....The breathe-right strips never worked...I don't smoke, but maybe weight is a little problem. I guess if I put off a couple pounds it may help....I just hope I don't get as bad as my dad.His snoring is so loud you could hear it through a triple thick brick wall....

5. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

I do not.

6. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    I just asked my wife. Both of us snore sometimes but neither of us is woken up by it. I would guess that all adults snore sometimes.

7. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I don't, but the wife does. Related to sinus problems, not weight or any other issues.

8. Curry46

Curry46

May 21, 2006
    I snore. I think its mostly a sinus/ mild asthma / allergies sorta thing, I guess my respiratory system doesnt really like me but it's not a big enough deal to appease it by giving it drugs. I could use losing a little weight, but at 5' 11" ish at around 190 pounds and at least semi muscular, it'd only be like 10-20, so it's probably not that, but I guess that could help.

9. RareBear

RareBear

Oct 30, 2006
    I suggest making contingency plans like buying a comfortable single bed which can be placed in another room. That way it's not this big "couch" drama but just a reality that needen't be an indictment. It's common and uncontrollable so live comfortably with it (when one or the other's snoring becomes intolerable).

10. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I snore really bad. I get complains from the neighbours!!
    My wife sleep with earplugs all the time.
    I'm 6'1 and 250lbs. I should lost some weight that would help a lot!

11. I do not (to my knowledge) although both my parents do. Whenever I have to share a hotel room with my mom, which thankfully isn't that often, I end up in the bathroom tub. Her snoring is horrendous, especially for a women that small! She has tried those breathing strips, pills, the works... ultimately none of it made a significant impact on the snoring. Someone really needs to invent a non-surgical remedy to this that works efficiently.

12. I don't know. Im asleep! But my family says I do :meh:

13. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    Get her this for her birthday:

[​IMG]

14. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I don't snore, by my word, my dad does. Some nights it's not so bad, some nights the house seems to shake. He didn't smoke and didn't drink a lot and wasn't overweight and he'd tried all of the "over the counter" cures, so the last option was surgery, which he had a couple of years ago.

It didn't work, he still snores, just sometimes now with the snores, you get the massive, wall shaking fundamental and a high octaved "weeee" sound, kinda like the surgeons placed a tiny octave pedal in his throat.

15. Brendan

Brendan Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    On and off.

16. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    I tried the breathe-right strips last night and they seemed to work. :hyper:

I did some reseach on it too. I dont smoke or drink alcohol, but I could stand to lose some weight. I had a sinus infection recently, and I'm fighting off a cold right now, which is probably what's making it worse than usual.

17. Ive been using breath right strips for many years now!

Work wonders for me.

18. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I tried them about 2 years ago, didn't help at all.
    I should try them again, just in case.

19. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Chris! You made me spit up my coffee while reading this!

:D :D LMAO!

20. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    This is my opinion - I'm no doctor (but neither are most doctors). It has nothing to do with being overweight. I''m not overweight at all and neither is my wife. I do have sinusitus though, and my wife has allergies. The last time I went to Belgium I invited a friend/co-worker to share my room. He snored so bad I couldn't sleep. Luckily there was a refrigerator full of booze that put me to sleep the whole week.