Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone Have a 6-String with 19mm Spacing?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Andy Brown, Jan 3, 2005.

1. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    I know that 17mm is too tight for my tastes for slapping, as I have that now on a Modulus. I'm wondering if 19mm will be too wide for six strings, and whether I should compromise with 18mm.

2. hippiesandwich

hippiesandwich

Aug 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Affiliated with Looperlative Audio Products
    My Benavente Vortex 6 is 19mm and is the easiet playing 6 string I have ever touched:
    [​IMG]

3. Andy Brown

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    That is a freaking nice bass man. Thanks for the feedback.

4. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

I have had a Fodera six that was about 20mm I believe. I prefer it wide, I think it's better for technique anyway. It was an extremely playable bass. I don't think you would have a problem with any well made six with wide spacing.

5. SharkB8

SharkB8

May 29, 2002
    NorCal
    My Marchlewski 6 is 3/4" @ the bridge, and extremely playable (best playing 6 I've tried thus far). Coming from a Cirrus 5, there was hardly any transition period (the only thing was muting, but no issue now). Slap is much better on the wider platform as well....

6. I've got 16mm on my Artisan and it feels OK, really. I kinda dig it being quite tight; it's just a bit easier to do fast slapping up and down the strings, really. I had to adapt my popping technique a bit to get it so I could pop it correctly, but I just had to do it nearer the tip and that was it sorted. Although I have grown a weird callous half way down my index finger nail where it hits the strings above the one I'm popping...

[​IMG]

That's the only pic I have of it to give you an idea of the spacing.

EDIT: I know it's not what the topic's about, but I just thought I'd share my experiences. Have you tried out many 6-strings, or is this just contemplatory at present?

7. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    My Matt Pulcinella Level 6 has 19 mm (3/4" for those of us in backwards countries :D ) spacing. My fretting (left) hand has a little difficulty getting across the neck at the higher frets. If I could slap worth a crap, it would be easy to slap. I also have a Carvin BB76P with 16 mm spacing, which is comfy for the left hand, but would be a little snug if I tried to slap. I think something in between those extremes would be best for my hands.

8. trainyourhuman

trainyourhuman Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2000
    MI
    Does your Q6 have the ABM adjustable bridge? If it does you can change the string spacing a little bit to make slapping easier... I ahve done this on every bass I own with a bridge of this type.

First, move the B and C strings outward towards the edges of the neck as far as they can comfortably go (so they won't accidentally slip off the board). Then adjust the other strings so that the C, D, and G strings are slightly farther apart than the B, E, and A strings. Makes thumbstyle so much more comfortable on the Modulus.

9. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I have a Roscoe with 18mm spacing. It's actually a really comfortable string spacing; much more than I though it would be. However, I still prefer 19mm.

10. Andy Brown

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    You know, I tried this exact thing, but I recall that I could only get it to about 17.5mm. I guess an uneven spacing could be a compromise and something I'd have to get used to. Maybe I'll try again.

11. Andy Brown

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Thanks for the replies guys. I think I should be fine ordering 19mm on my Nordy.

Regards.

12. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Australia
    Hell yes. I have 6 string with 19 mm spacing and I'll never ever get one with any less. It's so comfortable to play with all that space, even though the fingerboard can get a little huge up around the 12th fret.

13. slombovia

slombovia

Jul 15, 2003
    Utah
    I am a determined follower of Jesus Christ and am a Mormon.
    17mm (Zon) was great for fingerstyle - possible but not ideal for slap.
    19mm (Elrick) was great for slap - for me definitely too far for fingerstyle.
    Now I have a pair of NYBW at 18mm - perfect for both.

Good luck.

Tom H.

14. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    My Cirrus 6 has 17mm...the only thing I don't love about the bass.

If Peavey ever "pulls it's head out" and offers 19mm on it's 5 and 6 string models I'll be in Heaven.

15. oversoul

oversoul fretless by fate

Feb 16, 2004
    Portugal
    my Conklin will have 18 mm, considering its a 9er :oops:

16. sneaky pete

sneaky pete

Feb 10, 2002
    Yakima, WA
    So I take it that 19mm is 3/4", what is 5/8"? :meh:

17. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    My F Bass BN6 has the 19mm spacing, which I am beginning to like more and more. My Modulus Q6 has the 17mm spacing. I was used to the narrow spacing on the Modulus, as I used to own a Q5 before I got the 6er, so that is what I had been slapping on. But after getting my BN6 and getting used to its spacing, it has become THE bass I play if I am even going to consider slapping.

18. Hi there,

I grew up playing a Yamaha BB5000A Mk.1 5-string fretted bass, which had an ultra-narrow string-spacing of 14mm. This was especially wonderful for playing chords in the upper registers as I don't have enormous hands.

However, I made the switch to the fretless two years ago with my F-bass AC6, and had to get used to its 19mm string-spacing. I admit it was a psychological hurdle to overcome initially, but somehow after some time, I think the wider string spacing made me a better bass player because it forced me to work on improving my string-to-string (transition) plucking & muting techniques.

I am now quite comfortable with the 19mm spacing and recently placed an order for a new bass guitar with this specification.

Hope this helps you come to a suitable decision.

Kind regards,
    Beebebop,
    Beijing. :bassist:

19. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    19mm on my custom 6:
    [​IMG]

Wouldn't have it any other way. Its a dream to play and the wide spacing makes it easy to go from 4 to 5 to 6 :D

20. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Do you know who makes that bridge? I need a 5 like that with the 3/4" (19mm) spacing.