1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Anyone have only one bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by capofirstfret, Jan 12, 2012.

1. I know this appears to be contrary to the popular idea around here but I was wondering if anyone here has only one bass that they use for any and all gigs? I've got two currently (a 2006 Fender Highway One P Bass and a 2004 EBMM Stingray 5H). I've been thinking about just getting rid of one or both and buying one bass and only playing that instrument. I don't gig as much as I used to (though I'm trying to pick that up) and I just seem to have a surplus of music gear and feel like so much of it doesn't get played and I am not bonding with the instruments I do play.

Anyone else feel like this?

2. gigslut

gigslut

Dec 13, 2011
    St Louis, Mo
    If I had to pick just one bass to own, it would be a P-Bass. Rosewood neck, '62 RI pickups. That's what I play on 99% of my electric gigs, even though I own several other electrics. It works for most of the music I play. but I lean towards old school blues, R&B and classic rock. The Sting Ray can cover a lot of ground, too.
    Those are both nice basses, maybe once you start gigging more, you will find a place for both of them. The only thing worse than buyer's remorse is seller's remorse.

3. Toastfuzz

Toastfuzz

Jul 20, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    My intention was to do just that, but multiple music projects in different genres resulted in the 5 basses now hanging in my attic.

4. ggvicviper

ggvicviper Grosbeak, Yamaha, Fender, BSX. I’m Marc! Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2011
    East Meadow, NY, USA
    Unfortunately, I don't own only one bass. The reason why so much of us own this many basses is, I'm going to say not because of the different tones and feels, but mainly because we like owning more pretty objects to play with. :p

I challenge those to say differently :D

5. Jay2U

Jay2U Not as bad as he lóòks

Dec 7, 2010
    22 ft below sea level
    I own only one bass. As I don't gig, I don't need backup. It's a fairly cheap bass, An Ibanez GSR200EX. just over a year ago I took it apart and optimized about everything. I also took out the pre-amp, as it didn't do anything but consuming batteries. I now have a very stable bass which plays as good as one of twice the price I paid. We do have some other instruments here, like an old low-cost acoustic guitar and my son's electric guitar, which I play occasionally.

6. millertx

millertx

Dec 18, 2006
    Flower Mound, TX
    I have one electric bass I tend to use for all my gigs, but when it had to go into the shop for a few weeks I had to have a backup electric bass. So even though the backup bass does not see a lot of gigs, I pretty much have to have it just in case something goes wrong with my primary.

7. Jay2U

Dec 7, 2010
    22 ft below sea level
    :D:D Hm, more women? :D:D

8. ggvicviper

ggvicviper Grosbeak, Yamaha, Fender, BSX. I’m Marc! Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2011
    East Meadow, NY, USA
    :eek: If you're calling women objects, then you might be inclined to have more than one. Many who see women that way do have several. :p

I just meant the basses. (I am also very fond of my lovely non-object girlfriend).

9. blackba

blackba

Sep 7, 2008
    Michigan, USA
    I used to only have one bass for the longest time. Start with an Ibanez TR series, then De-armond, then Musicman Sterling 4H, then SX Jazz bass, then to my current Fender Geddy Lee Jazz bass.

Only in the last year did I pickup a Musicman Sterling 5SH. When I just had one bass, I would make sure to have extra strings. I also had others would I could ask to borrow a bass if I had to take mine into the shop.

Right now it would be hard for me to choose which one to get rid of between my Sterling 5 string and my Jazz bass.

10. klejst

klejst

Oct 5, 2010
    Currently my 1998 Fender Precision Standard is the only bass I own and I use it for everything. However it is a great rule of thumb to have a second/backup bass because you never know what could happen to your main and never know when you may need it. I thought about picking up a Squier VM Precision just to have something. They are cheap and have nothing but great things about them.

11. karlneurauter

karlneurauter

Jan 10, 2012
    Chicago
    I own 4. 95 standard P Bass, 2006 HW P bass, 2008 PB & J aero hybrid, and gibson T-bird RI.

I, by no means, need all of them. I don't make a ton of money from either my day job or gigging to justify having about a year of rent's worth of basses, pedals and amps - but we're all addicted. It's not a terrible thing. There are definitely worse things to be hooked on.
    I've never been to a show, heard a talented bassist and thought to myself "He should've used a Stingray." If some of you have, I applaud your attention and constant yearn for perfection. However, I don't possess those ears.
    On the other hand, while jamming with the band, we'll always think of something we don't have (but we TOTALLY NEED for this new tune!). I highly doubt, exclusively using either of your industry standard basses, you'll run into a golden-eared critic to slam you for not having a variety of axes if you sound good and play like a badass.

12. ACalbass

ACalbass

Dec 16, 2011
    All depends :
    Is a single bass giving you everything you need from it?
    Matches your personality and sound?
    Is versatile enough for the styles you want or need to play ?

Personally,I bought an ibanez sr405 like 5 or 6 years ago and does the job I need from it.
    Is the only bass I have.
    I also know of better and way more expensive basses I would like to have and play,but it hasn't come the moment I need one of those yet.
    Some people needs to own many bases,some others own them when they need them.
    The need I would think to have a better bass for me would be if the one I already own present a limit on my playing (because of progress of your skills and abilities,some basses accommodate better than others to you,regardless of price)
    Owning for the sake of owning basses is not for me.
    The pleasure I have is from the music and the playing and the sound,if all this align,the instrument is just that : the instrument that produce those three things.
    It serves me well,for the moment.

13. I just sold my MIA Fender Jazz so that puts me right back in the in the one bass club. I have a Modulus FBJ5 that I just cant part with. I have been using it on the road for 6 years! I would like to have a cheap backup 5 like an Ibanez. I don't regret selling the Fender, but I do regret selling a Stingray 5 string I previously had. What is a drag is that I sold both basses for money. Money seems to always be a problem for me, but I will not EVER sell the Modulus. It's become like a symbiote of sorts... :D

14. jabsys

jabsys

Mar 30, 2011
    UK
    I've only got one, a Squier VM P, works well for everything I play & sounds good but if I was gigging seriously I'd certainly want a backup, probably an identical VM P.

15. I gig with my fender mim pbass and just in case I always bring an extra. Saw one of my friends show and he broke his e string and had to borrow another bands bass to finish the show.
    Ever since then I bring my ibaness soundgear 5 string.
    They both work great live butg my fender feels smoother to play

16. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Lord no! Why the heck would anyone want to do that?

17. Lol to both:D

18. Jay2U

Dec 7, 2010
    22 ft below sea level
    I didn't want to be offensive or provocative, that's why I put it between so many :D:D

19. experimental bassist

experimental bassist

Mar 15, 2009
    I was going to make the usual comment about only having one bass make sure it's a P, but I was beaten to the punch.

Seriously though, P or not, if you have what you need (and want) in one bass, and you're not gigging regularly (I'm a member of that club at the moment) then why not?

As a married man, and as a father of a daughter, I sympathize with what I think you are trying to say, and applaud the sentiment.

And with that said, I have to share that most girlfriends/wives do very much appreciate being objectified at least occasionally! ;)

(Just a word to my bass brothers from a happily married man of 22 years to hopefully help them avoid that dreaded "friend zone")