1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone here circuit bend?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by thebassist1234, Jul 17, 2007.

1. thebassist1234

thebassist1234

Feb 12, 2006
    Just curious. I have finally finished my first circuit bending project that I did on an old Digitech RP80 bass pedal that sounds really cool. I'm not sure if this thread belongs here but it makes sense. Go ahead and share your experiences with circuit bending, bass related or not.

2. what did you do to your digitech?

3. opivy3056

opivy3056 stardust in a light beam

Oct 14, 2004
    San Diego
    I dont know how :(

Teach me?!:hyper:

4. Is it like gender bending?

5. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    In a way, yes. You just stick your finger in and try touching different areas to see what connections have pleasing results!

6. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    classic.
    http://[malware url removed].net/vicious-smiley-1815.gif

7. i have circuit bent all my pedals :)

8. jonpopu

jonpopu

Nov 3, 2006
    Chicago
    "Your ideas intrigue me, and I'd like to subscribe to your newsletter"
    I've been looking at doing some circuit bending recently, maybe some pics?

9. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
  10. four2oh

four2oh

Mar 29, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    i've been drooling over a few circuit-bent pedals lately, looking for something unique sounding.. missed winning an auction yesterday for a Small Stone that had been bent with like 6 toggle switches for glitchy weirdness.. also missed out on a heavily modified boss dd-3 the other day that had like 10 additional toggle switches..

so anyone have any circuit-bent fx pedal they are using? and if so what? lets see them pictures and sound samples!

11. thebassist1234

thebassist1234

Feb 12, 2006
    The digitech was nothing special, I added a few switches to it that changed the tone and made som really crazy sounding modulation. I can't play bass through it though because the bends take over the computer chip. Bending digital things do not give very good results but hey, it was around :)

12. The older, less complex circuits are the best for 'bending'. Thats why you see all the old toys being bent. I actually wasn't familiar with the term 'circuit bending', but have seen many a modified Speak & Spell etc :)

I had a go at bending my BF-2 once. I found some interesting bit crush type sounds, but didn't save them and make permanent changes to the pedal. I might invest in a second BF-2 and get a bit more into it :)

13. The BF-2 makes awesome self oscillation sounds when you crank up the internal resonance pot a bit.

14. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    I circuit bent my EHX Dr. Q

I found a place on the circuit where it made it fatter, and more compatible with bass when I touched it. Added a pot to it. Now, I can fatten if up as much as I like by turning the knob.

15. cool :) I think I will invest in a second one. I like mine too much to make permanent changes to it, but at the same time, im hanging to rip it to pieces :help:

16. that's the beauty, the change isn't permanent, just make sure you mark where the trimmer is before you tweak it!

17. The BurgerMeister

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    i can vouch for this. just mark the original trimmer position like nifty said and have fun! i've found that most flangers out there have internal trim pots, and they all generate their own special noises when tweaked.
    http://[malware url removed].net/vicious-smiley-1815.gif

18. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    ;)

19. The BurgerMeister

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    nice. and also true. :)