Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone here into coffee?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bassic83, Feb 25, 2005.

1. I only drink the free stuff at work, and only under duress...

16 vote(s)
    15.8%
  2. I have my own coffee pot at work...

22 vote(s)
    21.8%
  3. I have my own coffee grinder, and grind my own beans...

62 vote(s)
    61.4%
  4. I roast my own beans...

10 vote(s)
    9.9%
  5. I have my own coffee plantation...

7 vote(s)
    6.9%
  6. Si, mi nombre es Juan Valdez...

21 vote(s)
    20.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Curious as to how many here are into coffee? Not the swill at the office, but real, honest-to-goodness coffee! Come on, what's your favorite? Folgers doesn't count, it's robusto...I'm talking arabica beans, here...the real stuff!

2. Broach_insound

Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    I must say im only 15 but I love a good cup of joe! I always like to try all different types and can really appreciate a quality cup of coffee!

This is how I like mine ...........
    - A pinch of sugar maybee like 1/2 teaspoon
    -and a normal amount of half and half not to much not to little

Coffee .....Yes.. :bag:

3. CQBASS

CQBASS

Dec 1, 2004
    Asheville NC
    I'm a coffee fiend. But only good coffee. I'm also a coffee snob. I drink it from the moment I wake up until set break at night. My espresso machine is the wellspring from which all knowledge and truth flows with a magnificence and beauty unsurpassed in this world. Or to put it another way, without coffee I'm a real jerk.

4. Or 'Too Much Coffeeman', by Bob Dorough- a must-have if you're into coffee, jazz, or Schoolhouse Rock.

5. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Starbuck's French Roast, Espresso, or House Blend, And once in a while, the special "Christmas Blend". :)

6. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I drink about 60oz of coffee a day. I'm the "coffee guy" at work. They all pay me and I supply the goods.

I dig regular old Maxwell House "Master Blend" for my daily drink... I ain't too fussy, but I make a good pot of coffee. (I do regrind it to be finer usually)

I do indulge in the special "coffee" flavored coffee now and again... I mostly HATE flavored coffees.

Christmas blend... is that the one that tastes like it had Ginger Snaps ground with it? :p

7. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I drink a locally roasted brand, Shelburne falls.

http://www.ibuycoffee.com/

I grind the beans in a bur grinder, and brew it into a vacuum carafe. It rocks.

On rare occasions I like black hazelnut with cream from dunkin' donuts.

8. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Coffee rules.

Starbucks Holiday Blend rules... but you gotta brew it REALLY strong.

9. Brewed a pot, poured it through the used grounds 3 times, simmered it down on a low flame for an hour, then set it out in the garage for a week. I suppose it would have been easier to just buy some dark walnut stain(to say nothing of wasting a pot of heroin- I mean, coffee), but I guess I'm as nuts as the rest of you.

10. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Intersting idea. I might try that. I plan on making some little shelevs for surround speakers. Apply as normal I assume?

11. mariner

mariner

Feb 18, 2005
    Front Royal, VA
    Gotta be French Roast or Colombian...

Love the Starbucks Bag O' Beans to grind on my own.

I haven't had the need to go to a 2nd pot yet, but who knows what evolution may bring...

12. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    http://www.jjbeancoffee.com/index2.htm

. . .Starbuck's?
    I call it "Seattle's second best coffee!" ;)

For me, JJ bean is the best in town.
    I really like the Jamaican Blue Mountain latte's. ..

Mmmmm

13. Yeah, although I haven't yet applied a top coat. I'm going to try Watco Danish oil, my favorite. I started a thread when doing this, & one interesting question was how it would fare vs ultravioklet light rays. Search for 'Coffee as a woodstain' for other unusual stains.

14. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    cool, thanks!

15. FenderHotRod

FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    Arkansas
    Folgers doesn't count :(

I'll also drink that chickery(spelling)stuff.

I drink my coffee 24/7.... I like it black no cream no sugar. I don't like all that fancey yuppy coffee either.

16. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    gotta say Kona is my favorite. but i do like some Blue Mountain beans when i can afford them.

is liking Gevalia a taboo? cause i do and i'm proud of it.

17. smitcat

smitcat

Aug 5, 2003
    Ithaca, NY
    we have got a great coffee place, where the beans are roasted on the spot. Since its also in the mall where i work, i get refills for 80 cents. They have got a house blend which is great, along with the regulars (colombian, french, etc...). Also some of their more exotic coffees are great as well. They switched over to ceramic coffee mugs for sale, which are much better than metal ones, it really holds the flavor well.
    But my first cup of the day comes from a fast trac gas station (although it isthe best gas station coffee in town, complete with kona, dark, and colombian blends). that is only because i go in at 5, and nothing else is open.
    And i must say, i have gotten hooked on dunkin donuts coffee as well

18. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Well, I buy my beans green and roast them and grind them myself. I have an espresso maker, a roaster, and an old Krups grinder (blade type). I get my 3 year old daughter one day every weekend, her favorite things to do are to roast coffee, and go to the airport and play around the planes. I get my beans shipped to me online, the only coffee I allow in the house that comes in a can is Cafe Bustelo- that one is Cuban coffee, and is awesome in the espresso machine with a couple spoons of sugar. I got my girlfriend into it after I had it at my tabaquero's shop...goes great with a fresh, hand-rolled cigar on a Saturday morning! I have a loyal following at work, where I'm known as "The Other Coffee Bar" or "The Coffee Nazi"...lol...the Cafe Bustelo is really good stuff- it comes in a yellow can, and can usually be found in the Latino foods section of your finer grocer's. I get my Jamaican Blue (also one my all-time faves) for $19/lb. I roast it to a light city roast, occasionally to a full-city, but stop before the second roast. My other favorites are, in no particular order, Guatemala Antigua, Tanzanian Peaberry, Mexican Altura, and anything from Costa Rica. Kona is good too. There are some other African beans I can sometimes find, but I find I like the Central American beans, as they cup better- a brighter flavor with good bite. I forgot the name of a certain Indian coffee I hated-tasted just like burnt mud, so I generally stay away from Indian beans. My daughter is getting really good at roasting, she can identify the first crack, when the beans start to give up the oils (they get shiny on the ends), and the second crack. She likes to roast to a darker, oily roast, just past French, but just shy of espresso. She won't drink it, she prefers Jolt cola and chocolate just before she goes home to mama at bedtime...(insert evil grin here) Revenge is in the eye of the beholder! Besides, I think the 2am phone calls from my ex-wife pleading to know "why this child will NOT go to sleep??" quite refreshing... :D :eek: :p

19. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
  20. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    I'm not into Starbucks much. If I am making my own, I prefer New England Coffee. If I am buying it from a coffee shop, I like a couple of local places - Java's Brewin' in Billerica, MA and Coffee Break Cafe in Quincy, MA. From the "major" chains, I enjoy Honey Dew Donuts'.