Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone here used the Maxon CP9 Pro+?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bongomania, Jan 5, 2006.

1. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Looking for any reviews of the new CP9 Pro+ (there's just one review on Harmony Central). I'm especially wondering if anyone here has done an A/B comparison with the old Ibanez CP9, or with any DBX unit, since they say they're using a DBX circuit. Thanks!

(P.S. I have several compressors, I'm not looking for advice about your favorite one- just looking for opinions about this particular model. Thanks!!!)

2. pacojastorius

pacojastorius Guest

May 21, 2005
    usa
    bump;)

3. i would like to know if any one tried that on bass too!!! ;)

4. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Ha! Almost two years have passed since I posted this, and I still have not tried one OR read any credible reviews of one used on bass. Maybe it's cursed. ;)

5. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    My favorite compressor is.......really, that's a long time. How'd you even remember it was in here somewhere. I sometimes forget what I posted yesterday.

6. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Oh, it wasn't me that dug it up, it was "funkmaster83". :)

7. i am seriously considering getting this device...
    but it would be nice to know if any one else has used it on bass...
    i thought that since this forum covers whole world some one would have it...

guess i will be one of the first victims!!! heheheh

8. barebones

barebones Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Denver, CO
    I was just in a shop today trying out various compressor pedals. I wasn't too crazy about the ones I tried (BBE Main Squeeze, Maxon CP101, and Aphex Punch Factory) as I'm looking for a particular sort of controllable "swell" effect. Anyway, when I mentioned the sound I was after, the shop owner suggested the CP9 Pro+. Unfortunately he was out of stock, so I'm interested in this old thread as well. Hope someone runs across one soon, as the price is a little high for me just to order it sight-unheard.

Matt

9. i got one on the way. should be here by this monday or tuesday. i'll let you guys know

10. barebones

barebones Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Denver, CO

Definitely looking forward to hearing what you think!

Matt

11. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    FWIW it's been at least six months since I've seen a used one on Ebay. That's the problem with certain units- if "nobody" buys them new, because of insufficient opinions on the web, then there are no used ones either, and the cycle continues. I'd love to get my hands on one, but the only way I could convince anyone to pay the $230 for a new one is if I said it was definitely better than the Demeter.

12. i have to wait trough February then in the beginning of spring i will invest ;)

13. washburnfan

washburnfan

Oct 19, 2007
    new haven ct
    I've been wanting to check this one out as well, I've used the 163X in my rack for years... Right now I'm using the OptoStomp with my combo's and/or head's (non-rack)...

14. i got mine in a couple days ago. all i can say is, wow. this is the best sounding, cleanest, and most precise comp ive ever used. its sounds so clean and perfect. no matter what setting, from deep comp. to just a mild comprression, the sound stays true to the original sound of my bass. this is by far the greatest sounding comp ive ever dealt with. my tone stays super clean and always sounds just like it should when i use it. i cant say enough about this pedal, but its insane they way it takes the loud peaks out of my volume, and evens things out. i must say that i reccomend that if you want the best comp on the market this is the one. by far... any questions. ask away

15. ivers0n

ivers0n

Jul 2, 2007
    hey! wat are the other compressors you've tried before/comparing the cp-9 to?

16. not too many great ones to compare to, but ive tried a bunch of "regular" kind of bottom line ones. boss bass limiter/ehancer, mxr dyna comp, digitech bass squeeze, boss compression/sustainer. not many high quality ones, but i will say that the maxon is the the perfect one for me.

17. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    OK, I just snagged one off Ebay a few minutes ago. Took me long enough! ;)

18. nice. finally we can get a professional reveiw around here! haha. i love this freakin thing!!

19. gillento

gillento

Oct 15, 2005
    Luxembourg, Europe
    Nordstrand pickups
    The first thought that crossed my mind when I saw the thread title was: Have a look at Bongos reviews.....
    What does this tell me about this place?

20. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    I'm not sure. Maybe we're like villagers in a remote area, where everyone in the village looks exactly alike, and outsiders are shunned and/or eaten? ;)

I've only spent about a half hour with this pedal so far, but I wanted to say it is living up to the hype. I'm going to give it a week or so of workout before I write a proper review, but I'm already pretty sure that review will be very positive.

:bassist: