Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone Playing A KYDD Bass at all?

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by Jason Hollar, Sep 25, 2005.

1. Jason Hollar

Jason Hollar Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2005
    Pittsburgh area
    OK, so no takers on the 42" KYDD bass yet -- Anyone playing the Carry-On or 35" version?

Still searching for a compact, and very portable option for travel.

Thanks!

2. CCLOWE

CCLOWE

Sep 29, 2005
    I finally got my Big Kydd last week. There weren't any in stock so I had to wait an extra week while they built one for me. I had to rush into a quick session without much practice on it and it was sweeet. I'm using it with the Fishman Platinum bass EQ and was able to dial in a sound I like very quickly. I've played a G&L 2000 and a custom built fretless the last 10 years and haven't played double bass in many years, but I was able to feel my way around with astounding ease.
    I've just started exploring this new instrument but I'm very encouraged with the early results.
    BTW, my first experience was going direct through the Fishman, but I've been practicing this week with my G&L Backline 110 and my SWR basic 350 and both sound great. I've played the SWR through a Mesa 15" and a Goliath III and I think I like the sounds of the 10"'s better.

3. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K. Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    i played a big kydd exclusively for about a year.
    i was able to get good sounds out of it once i added a fishman
    pre/eq box....i liked the thumpy, muted nature of the instrument i had,
    kind of like an ampeg baby bass. the short scale made it real easy
    to play, and it folded up into a very small and light package, easily
    put in an overhead compartment on an airplane.
    ultimately, i had feedback problems in the low-end(once again the fishman with the polarity switch saved the day) and i
    didn't appreciate any arco sound i could get out of it, so i moved on
    to an ns.
    cheers
    d

4. Jason Hollar

Apr 17, 2005
    Pittsburgh area
    Thanks for your replies.

So, CCLOWE, I'd love to hear more about your experiences with the instrument after you get more time to play it. So -- you're primarily an electric bass player...have you not spent much time on a DB? Does the Big Kydd feel like a vertical fretless? I also have an SWR Bass 350 and Goliath III 2x10 -- nice rig. Just looking for something portable and powerful...mostly for air travel to gigs.

And D.A.R.K, you chose an NS over the Kydd...are you pleased with the new instrument? Which model did you get?

Thanks guys, Jason

5. CCLOWE

CCLOWE

Sep 29, 2005
    Jason,
    I'll let you know how I'm feeling after some more use. Just so you know, I was seriously considering the NS, and the only reason I didn't go that way was that the shipping date for available basses kept slipping and I had imminent gigs and a session that required that sound. I remembered having played the Kydd when a friend of mine was evaluating one for BP mag, and got a deal from a local dealer that made it half the price of the NS. So it became kind of an economic decision: I'd have a bass in hand that would be half payed for with one session.
    As for the feel, the neck is more like an upright than a fretless. I like that because it's a different style of playing.
    D.A.R.K., I'd love to know how the NS does arco. I've started to work on a decent sound with a french bow, but it's not there yet. If I get to a point where arco is important I may have to reconsider the NS.

6. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K. Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    i'm very happy with my ns-
    i use a cr5m, 5 string with magnetic and piezo pickups.
    the magnetics really help me get the consistent signal and gain i need for experimentation with other electronics, while the piezo with the polarity function can get a very musical, open arco and string sound.
    the eq lets me get some great basic settings for each and a very good
    blend of both easily. the bass is very sensitive and has a huge dynamic capability, with a great voice for soloing.
    i bow 50% of the time, use both french and german grip, i've found the most comfortable position for me is to be standing.
    the radius of the fingerboard is definitely hybrid, but there's plenty of room to dig in if i feel like it.
    i have the optional body-strap, but couldn't really get a comfortable
    arco position with that either. fun to walk around playing pizz on it though! i'd like to try the optional end-pin stand , as there is a hip-rest
    bar for some body contact- it has always been a little odd for me to bow an instrument and feel the notes resonate primarily through my hands and not my body.
    i have previously owned the big kydd, a clevinger, and a carruthers sub-1, and so far have been happiest with the ns. it's done a few tours now, been over the pond and has had no technical problems at all, outside of a couple easy truss-rod tweaks.
    all that said, i feel i must add that eub to me is a hybrid instrument,
    i don't really have an interest in trying to artificially create
    the sound of an acoustic db...i'd just use a real db.
    i've been told by people that the ns gets damn close sometimes, though. either way in the end it's an amazing sounding instrument.
    my first "keeper"
    :cool: :)
    d

7. Jason Hollar

Apr 17, 2005
    Pittsburgh area
    Cool, thanks you guys. I wish there was a local store I could just pop in to and try all these basses side by side!

I certainly favor my DB over my electric bass for most jazz type gigs. Looking for an instrument that will approximate the real DB with the portability of an electric bass -- if not more portable.

8. Jason Hollar

Apr 17, 2005
    Pittsburgh area
    Wow -- almost three years since I last posted on this thread!

Yes, I'm still looking.

Thinking about the Carry-on or Big Kydd...

Anybody currently using these?

9. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Am I wrong to think they're similar to Ergos?

10. PaulonBEADG

PaulonBEADG Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    I've had the 35 scale for about 2 years now and I love it.
    Keep in mind that I'm using it for a Pearl Jam tribute so no bow for me. :)

I was using the Radial Bassbone for a while as my front end but I recently picked up a Markbass LMK 2 channel bass head and I'm allocating one channel to the upright and I've got to tell you she sounds smokin!!!!!!

Cheers,

Paul

11. Jason Hollar

Apr 17, 2005
    Pittsburgh area
    Cool.

There was a Big Kydd here for sale a few weeks ago. Wish I could have snagged that.

12. Jason Hollar

Apr 17, 2005
    Pittsburgh area
    Anybody have a Kydd 30/35 in the Pittsburgh area who would let me come and check it out?

I'd bring a 6 pack of your favorite refreshing beverage!

I just took another flight to a studio sesh in Colorado -- very glad I didn't have to bring one of my electrics -- there would have been no room in the overheads at all. Heck there was even a guy with his banjo case on one of the flights and that was a pain in the butt for him! North West Airlines... :spit:

13. Jason Hollar

Apr 17, 2005
    Pittsburgh area
    Surely some brave soul in or near SW PA has one of these -- heck, they're made in Philly right?

My offer for refreshing bevs still stands.

14. Jason Hollar

Apr 17, 2005
    Pittsburgh area
    Just bumpin' to try one -- nobody in Pittsburgh huh? How about Harrisburg or Central PA? Eastern Ohio???

15. PaulonBEADG

PaulonBEADG Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    If you're ever in Ontario, you are more than welcome to try mine.

16. Jason Hollar

Apr 17, 2005
    Pittsburgh area
    Well, we could try to score some Pens/Sens tickets! Hmm...could I somehow write that off as a business expense? ; )

17. Francois Blais

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
  18. Jason Hollar

Apr 17, 2005
    Pittsburgh area
    Francois, as always, thanks for the info.

19. akash

akash

Feb 8, 2009
    I like very quickly. I've played a G&L 2000 and a custom built fretless the last 10 years and haven't played double bass in many years, but I was able to feel my way around with astounding ease.
    I've just started exploring this new instrument but I'm very encouraged with the early results.
    BTW, my first experience was going direct through the Fishman, but I've been practicing this week with my G&L Backline 110 and my SWR basic 350 and both sound great. I've played the SWR through a Mesa 15" and a Goliath III and I think I like the sounds of the 10"'s better.

20. Francois Blais

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Your profile is empty.
    What EUB do you have?

And what are the two commercial links in your signature???