1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone Playing A KYDD Bass at all?

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by Jason Hollar, Sep 25, 2005.

1. c.raymond

c.raymond

Apr 9, 2009
    I'm actually moving from the midwest to philly with a 30" scale kydd bass I'm trying to get rid off.

2. Jason Hollar

Jason Hollar Jazz & Cocktails Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2005
    Central Pa
    PM replied

3. Jason Hollar

Apr 17, 2005
    Central Pa
    Crap! I go outta town last week and there's a used Kydd Carry-On over on the BG side sold for $600!

4. Matthew carboni

Matthew carboni

Mar 4, 2018
    Did you ever get a KYDD?

5. Jason Hollar

Apr 17, 2005
    Central Pa
    Wow - old thread! No sir, I never did.

I keep an eye out on Craigslist, but I’m not seriously shopping at the moment.

I’ve been thinking more about a short scale fretless bass guitar but it’s kind of similar I guess.

Curious to play the 42 long scale or the 35 - heck - any of them for that matter!

6. Matthew carboni

Matthew carboni

Mar 4, 2018
    I found a 35" at a pawnshop where I live. I got it for 550.00. I stared playing bass at age 11 back in '88.
    First 10 years primarily orchestra on a UB. Playing on the KYDD was like riding a bycicle is is natural and smooth.

7. Jason Hollar

Apr 17, 2005
    Central Pa
    Nice. I’ve been thinking a 4 string NS Omni bass would be the ticket. Piezo & magnetic, strap/end pin/tripod.

Just can’t devote the serious funds right now. But your pawnshop find is interesting. I should continue to stay out of places like those - lol -

Randy Ward likes this.
  8. lowdeno25

lowdeno25

Sep 28, 2013
    I have been playing a 35 inch Kydd since 2006, 5 string. Love it, needs a good preamp to get the best out of it, roll off the top and mids, let the bottom end shine through. One huge advantage over other EUB's is the tripod. You can leave it standing there, as you switch to your electric bass, or wander off for a drink, that's valuable in my eyes :) 42946599_10157336654378521_4739528266908434432_n.jpg Formigine.jpg 42946599_10157336654378521_4739528266908434432_n.jpg Formigine.jpg

Jason Hollar likes this.
  9. Jason Hollar

Apr 17, 2005
    Central Pa
    My daughter will be going to university in Philly this fall ... this could be the perfect excuse to get down to Upper Darby and see if I could play one!

Does anyone know if Bruce is still in business? Or do these things just exist used these days?

10. lowdeno25

lowdeno25

Sep 28, 2013
    I contacted him just before Christmas about getting a replacement bridge (just in case I'm overseas and it breaks), it took a while to get a reply, but he did get back to me and sent me a replacement. I emailed him at [email protected]

Jason Hollar likes this.
  11. LennyJ

LennyJ Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2001
    Acworth, Georgia
    Actually talked with him last week - but thru email, it is easier that way. I needed info and Bruce was quick to respond thru email.

20210124_174011.jpg

Jason Hollar likes this.
  12. bodollar

bodollar Supporting Member

May 3, 2004
    Memphis
    New Jersey Guitar and Bass have one listed.

Basses

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 8, 2021