Anyone record through USB or Firewire?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by ole Jason, Jan 12, 2005.

1. I suppose this could go in the effects forum too...

I'm looking at getting a PodXT and it allows recording through USB. How does this sound? Currently I'm running an SB Audigy2 soundcard so I'm sure it's probably better than that. Is there any noticeable latency?

Also, is it easy getting recording software setup to use a usb device? It was quite a hassle getting cubase set up to accept midi through usb, I'm not sure how it would handle audio.
  2. chardin

Sep 18, 2000
    I'm using an Edirol UA-25 into Tracktion on a PC with good results. Low latency and setup was easy. So far I've only recorded bass and guitar; no vocals or MIDI yet.

Some will say to stay away from USB 1.1 because of it's lower bandwidth. Firewire can handle more simultaneous tracks but I only record one track at a time. At any rate, I think your podXT will give better results than the SoundBlaster.
  3. Thee

Feb 11, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    I, too, use a edirol USB interface, I am completely happy with the results.
  4. Artisan

Apr 14, 2004
    I am using the M-Audio Audiophile USB with good results. My laptop does not support Firewire, otherwise I would have gone in that direction.
  5. msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    I use the MOTU 828 (mk1), which is firewire. I dig it. Up to 18 channels of 24/48k IO with the proper outboard gear, and can plug into my laptop's PCMCIA firewire card if I need it to.
  6. i just got the presonus firepod. its a great, easy to use multi faceted unit. its almost as if a real human designed it to be used by a real human,.. tower of power recently used one to record . im using it to record our band practice live.
  7. DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    I'm using M-Audio MobilePre and Cakewalk GuitarTracks Pro 3. I've also got Cakewalk Pro (v.8), Soundforge, n-track, tracktion and ProTools Free. I generally use the CGTP3 platform.

2x2 chanels, 16bit/48KHz max resolution/sampling rate. USB, half-decent mic pres, phantom power for condenser mics, powered by USB bus. Cakewalk is 32 channel, "almost" fully featured multitrack recording software that is dead simple to use. Doesn't support MIDI, but that isn't a drawback in my world.

Not bad for $400 bucks (hardware and software).

8. I use the Tascam US-122 - best used on PC as on a Mac it's tepremental (apparently)

I did all of <a href=>these recordings</a> with it and as long as you have a decent direct sound from your bass and the correct level - I think the quality is really good - very low noise etc.
  9. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    This is what I plan on getting myself. it was either this, a motu 828 or an m-audio firewirw 1824, I think the presonus is the least bull**** of the bunch.
  10. Eldermike

Jul 27, 2004
    I record through a MOTU 896, it's firewire. I have had some booting issues with it. It always boots but not always on the first try.
  11. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    I have the same issue with my 896. Does yours boot up on the second (or third, fourth, etc) attempt? Mine doesn't seem to want to boot up for a couple of hours when I experience a problem.
  12. msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    FWIW, I never have issues with my 828 by itself. Any problems I've had have been related to drivers and the motherboard or firewire card I was using.

Regarding the Presonus: They make decent stuff, and I had a long chat with their head of sales one afternoon after emailing them a question about Linux support. The guy got back to me that day and was willing to let me talk to the engineers about anything I was interested in. That level of service almost convinced me to switch to a Presonus based rig on the spot.

What stopped me was that with my 828 I can do up to 18 channels if I use outboard gear along with it. I have a Midiman Flying Cow for an extra two channels over the S/PDIF port and in the past I've involved a Presonus Digimax LT for an extra eight over the ADAT port. I can't do that with the Presonus gear, and whenever I record a live show I always use more than the available eight. If this is a consideration to you, go with the MOTU.

By the way, the Presonus Digimax is a great unit. A lot of people will get it and an ADAT PCI card (such as the RME Hammerfall) if they have no need for firewire. IMO this is a slightly more solid and modular approach to doing things if you can afford it.
  13. Eldermike

Jul 27, 2004
    Most of the time it's about three times. I have had it blinking for 5 minutes trying to boot - I have had it do nothing while flipping the switch over and over - Out of ten boots, 8 are normal, the other 2 can be a trial.
    It's a great piece of gear, perhaps we should look into this some more.

14. I have a Midiman Flying Cow for an extra two channels over the S/PDIF port and in the past I've involved a Presonus Digimax LT for an extra eight over the ADAT port. I can't do that with the Presonus gear,

add another firepod, simple.

i cant say enough good about the ease of use of this unit.
    i run it at my home studio for liverecording of our band. i also have the central station which is very handy with speaker switching etc. but the firepod is the most incredible unit ive had yet. im keeping it. very simple,very good sound. buy one!
  15. Eldermike

Jul 27, 2004
    It's comes with LE and I already have SX. I wish I could get it without the software and save the money. But it looks like nice gear to me.
  16. you can get a firepod for $520 from riks music, gc will match or beat it. i got mine from gc for 579 out the door. they also threw in an audio technica at2020 condenser mic and a glyph 80 gb firewire harddrive. nice for when i use my laptop that has a low hd rpm speed. most laps do. 4600-5400 @
  17. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    A question/advice to resp. from the Edirol users over here? (the UA 25 to be precise)... my girlfriend owns a nice iBook G4 with a USB/Firewire connection, so with this tiny box we could perhaps do a lot of recording ourselves with hopefully good results.

Would it be sufficient to perform good bandrecordings? I was thinking to record at first the music (just overall sound) with only two mics in the room, then using this as a sort of template to listen to, while recording the real seperate instruments later on. Now you only need to use 2 xlr inputs of the Edirol. :)

We use in our band guitar/bassguitar/drums/vocals, so...

Would it fit to take 2 mics for the drums? Bassguitar, guitar and vocals, won't be a problem and it sounds better (for the record) to record it seperately anyway. If more connections for the drumtrack would be better, then we could use the mixing table, but then we won't have every track digital seperated, but only the mix itself. (L/R) I'd prefer the first option, if possible. :ninja:
  18. mz91

Apr 19, 2002
    Zug, Switzerland
    I want to get into recording myself... Since i wont need to record a band and this is basically a home setup i think the M-Audio Ozonic will fit my needs perfectly... The fact that its an all in one solution is appealing.. And if i need to record other Intruments, i can do so easily using the Midi keyboard and some vst's :hyper: