Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone see Cream in London?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by spaceman, May 3, 2005.

1. for their reunion performance at the Albert Hall on May 2?
    If so, how were they?

2. yes i am interested too!

3. I have a friend who went there for the third show. They should just about have the bugs worked out by then (if they have any bugs).

4. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    They comming to the states? If not that sucks so bad! They are one of the bands that made me want to play bass! Go Jack!!!! :bassist:

5. Well the reviews say the concert was pretty damn good. I'd also be interested in any first hand commentary if any TB'ers went, or secondary if their friends went.

6. tifa

tifa Padawan Bassist

Mar 8, 2005
    Blackburn, UK
  7. £126.00 per seat apparently - and the touts were getting £2000 a ticket on "the night". :eek: :eek:

8. bassame

bassame

Mar 25, 2004
    Brooklyn NY
    That's why you won't see any reports from bass players. :crying:

9. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    I wanna know if Clapton wore the fro again ;)

I'll just have to wait on the DVD I guess :)

10. That's a good review? That review rakes them over the coals, not really for the performance, but just because they are who they are.

11. Absolutely. :eyebrow: :eyebrow:

12. I thought the review was entertaining:

"We're going to play for as long as we can," he announces happily, a remark greeted with deafening cheers, rather than the deeply apprehensive gulp it warrants…" :)

- of course, I don't know how accurate the review is, bearing in mind that I didn't see the show, and the review didn't really say much about the music they performed - although it was very complimentary about Ginger Baker's playing - but I thought the comment about Wilfred Bramble was pretty funny… From the picture I thought they looked very uncomfortable - almost as if they felt totally out of place. Why is it that most celebrities seem to have problems with growing old gracefully?

- Wil

13. tifa

tifa Padawan Bassist

Mar 8, 2005
    Blackburn, UK
    Bah, sorry, my mistake - the review I read was different to that one!

I'll get my coat. :bag:

14. Rolling Stone also has a pretty good review up, as well as a setlist.

Here it is for your pleasure:
    I'm So Glad
    Spoonful
    Outside Woman Blues
    Pressed Rat and Warthog
    Sleepy Time Time
    N.S.U.
    Badge
    Politician
    Sweet Wine
    Rolling and Tumbling'
    Stormy Monday
    Deserted Cities of the Heart
    Born Under a Bad Sign
    We're Going Wrong'
    Crossroads
    Sitting on Top of the World
    White Room
    Toad

Sunshine of Your Love

15. powerslave

powerslave Guest

Feb 24, 2005
    United States
    The review seemed to be written by someone who is not very appreciative of their music, and churns out backhanded compliments, while continuing to bag on Clapton like he can't handle it, and give praise to Bruce & Ginger –“Bruce abandons his bass guitar in favour of a harmonica”, and (“Ginger Baker turns out to be the evening's surprise star”) but when it comes to Claptopn – “After the band's split, Clapton dismissed its "maestro bullsh*t", but tonight, he seems worryingly reconciled to it. "We're going to play for as long as we can," he announces happily, a remark greeted with deafening cheers, rather than the deeply apprehensive gulp it warrants”

*** is that supposed to mean, completely an ungrateful dik who wrote the review. I mean after all it’s a review on their reunion show not a review of this guys opinion on Clapton.

Alexis Petridis – is a Clapton hating wanker

To see a real reviews by fans that wanted to see the band perform go here –
    http://www.whereseric.com/clapton/news/2005/05/cream_monday_may_2_2005.htm

16. KPJ

KPJ

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    I wonder if that's Felix Papilardi's EB1 Jack's playing in that picture that accompanies the first review.

The first posted review reminds of all those people who miss the subtleties of bands like Cream, Zeppelin, the Who, etc... they think it's all about the bombast!

Also don't blame Cream because other less-talented bands were inspired to churn out self-indulgent jam rock by them.

17. tifa

tifa Padawan Bassist

Mar 8, 2005
    Blackburn, UK
    damn, I wish I could find that review, it was really well written and talked about their performance.

Sorry guys! will check my links properly in future!

me = idiot

18. Bass_Machine

Bass_Machine

Oct 29, 2004
    UK
    I read that review too! Wasn't it in a british newspaper though? My best friend is going to see them tomorrow night with his woman, so I'll ask him for the lowdown/photos. I'm so jealous.............

19. I attended the Cream reunion on Monday, opening night and Friday the last night. On Monday I was on the arena floor block E row 19 seat 19 pretty much in the center. On Friday I was in a box to the left of the stage with an excellent view also.

Cream are the reason I'm in a band so it was pretty important for me to get there.

They were without doubt superb on both nights. Yes there were times particularly on Monday when things could have gone very wrong and timings were a bit off in places, but they knew it and accepted it and so did all of the audience, the band looked and smiled at each other as though to say
    ' we just managed to hold onto that one ! ' But the occasion was wonderful. From the opening chords of I'm so glad to the finals chords of Sunshine of your love. Friday was magnificent.

I can't pretend that they played every note perfectly and that they replicated Live Cream I & II or that they played Sitting on top of the world in the same way as is heard on Goodbye or that Crossroads was as blistering as it was in the 60's but to my mind Cream never were a band of formulas with strict patterns to follow each night their appeal was that they were what they were great musicians who play off each other, sometimes getting there by the skin of their teeth, flying without a net - they were amazing then and still are now.

I talked to lots of people from the USA about the gigs people who had needed to buy their tickets on Ebay and paid a fortune, they all felt the same way as I did. I was lucky I guess being able to buy my tickets on line at face value.

After the show on Friday I went along to the Hard Rock cafe to see some guitarist who was playing with Pete Brown, we were full og hope that it would end the night well but it was very disappointing so my friends and I left after a few numbers.

I think the thing that made it extra special for me was that at 42 now, I was to young to see them in the 60's and I never thought I'd get to see my major musical influences together on the same stage playing the music that I love and still do love.

How can this ever be topped ?

Stu

20. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    300 bucks a ticket for bleacher seats? Count me out.

Now if Ginger could still nod out in the middle of a set, things might be different... :D