Anyone tried Ashdown heads w/DB?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by macmrkt, Aug 18, 2005.

1. macmrkt

macmrkt Banned

Dec 4, 2002
    I was curious if anyone can comment on the sound of Ashdown's heads with DB. I noticed that they have a 3.9Meg input impedance which ought to be good for piezo's. But what do they sound like? I'm particularly curious about the ABM EvoII or the AL-MK500. Thanks.
  2. I saw a few Ashdown products in a music store a while back. I had been interested in them, but never tried one. I will say this, knowing your penchant for quality craftsmanship: these units appeared to be shoddily constructed with cheap parts. On their website, they have a cool retro appearance, but up close and in person they did not measure up. Again, I never played through one. They might sound great for all I know.
  3. Kevinlee

May 15, 2001
    Phx, AZ..USA
    I have a ashdown mag 250 head for backup. I don't really use it much though since it's a backup and my clarus (main amp) is really dependable. This is one of the old ones that was made in england. It sounds pretty damn good actually. Warm and clean.

For what it's worth there's a few guys over at rockabillybass that love ashdown stuff.

4. Lucerne

Jan 13, 2005
    I use an ashdown 300 evo combo along with the platinum preamp. I have the "push flat" in and am by passing the eq. also the input mix is direct centre. The sound is warm fat and clear and can be cranked to serious levels. Very very good
  5. Although I am an electric bass man, I have to say that I could not disagree more with your comments on Ashdown build quality. I genuinely cannot imagine where you were looking. :D :D
  6. macmrkt

macmrkt Banned

Dec 4, 2002
    This is more fun than I expected! Thanks to all who responded. I'm a huge fan of British and Scottish engineering - seriously.:hyper:And I've owned a bunch of UK autos too (please, hold the "why do Brits like warm beer jokes!") so I'm pretty fearless when it comes to build quality appearances or reputation, as long as it's really made in UK. In fact, I'm really only interested in the Ashdown Labs stuff, which I think is their high-end, hi-fi range, that may be built better. That being said, one dealer I spoke to did cite a few DOA's...

Could this series offer something for DB players (other than a back ache - jees those trad amps do weigh a ton)? Inquiring minds want to know.:p
  7. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    I have never played DB through an Ashdown. However, I did see the wonderful Todd Sickafoose play his DB through the 500 watt rack head and an old Carvin 2X10 a number of times. Todd is one of the best upright players from the San Francisco Bay area. He used the Ashdown/Carvin setup (without PA) playing with drummer Scott Amendola a number of times and he always sounded majestic.

I once had the pleasure of doing sound for Todd when he played with singer Noe Venable. He plugged into a borrowed amp and ran a direct line to the house, and sounded great. He's definitely a player who can get his sound through whatever equipment is available. Also plays BG very well, of course. I believe Todd is currently touring with Ani DiFranco.
  8. Wow, I love Todd Sickafoose's sound and ability. He is amazing to put it simply.
  9. jrduer

Jun 27, 2005
    Georgetown, TX
    I have played DB through my Ashdown ABM 500 Evo II, and I loved the sound I got. I also like it with my Ergo EUB.

Some folks I know say they don't like the "British" sound of the Ashdowns, but everyone who's heard mine has had nothing but good things to say about my tone. (I guess it could be the Aguilar GS212 cabinet, but I don't think so.)

And I also have had absolutely no issues with the build quality of my Ashdown head.

10. macmrkt

macmrkt Banned

Dec 4, 2002
    I did eventually get the Mark King head and liked it for DB. Good for high power doubling! I used the Fishman Full Circle and it required the gain to be up about full on the Ashdown, but no problems. Might not have enough gain for older style piezos though running direct...