Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone tried Epifani 110 UL?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Robin Ruscio, Jul 1, 2004.

1. Robin Ruscio

Robin Ruscio Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2003
    Denver, CO, USA
    i spent sometime with some epifani larger cabs recently on both basses and was really impressed, but i'd have to order their 110 to try it out. It's only 22lbs, i'm looking for something around that weight so i don't have to use my bergantino 2x10 as much. Right now i've got a GK micro bass 112 which actually sounds allright and only weighs 12 lbs, but i'm sure there are better sounding cabs out there in the small end of things. What else is rockin your world in the under 30lbs category?

2. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    I'm really enjoying my Euphonic Audio Wizzy 112. It weighs about 28 pounds and sounds really good with both DB and BG. It's a 4 ohm cabinet and it's pretty efficient (102 dB) so it can get quite loud. Most of the time I power it with an old GK 400RB, sometimes an Eden WT-400 for more headroom. Since I got it about 4 months ago I've used it for 95% of my gigs and rehearsals (jazz, Latin, folk/pop).

It's got a lot of low end--handles a low B well, and I usually roll off a fair amount of bottom with the low-cut filter on my Fishman Platinum EQ with DB. It's the most accurate cab I've used--there's no hiding your mistakes with this puppy! I've also noticed that the tone is pretty consistent whether you're right next to it or 12 feet away, which is not the case with my other cabs (SWR 2x10 and 1x15, Carvin 1x12). I'm thinking about getting a 2-ohm capable head so I could get another Wizzy.

I'm going to Seattle this weekend--I'm hoping to visit Bass Northwest and try out a bunch of different small cabs and EUB's. I'll let you know what I find...

3. larry

larry Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2004
    Florida
    I love my Bergantino EX112. Very portable with loads of headroom & tight, clear bottom. Dig it.

4. Robin Ruscio

Dec 15, 2003
    Denver, CO, USA
    i tried the berg 112 and its sounds good, but at 36 lbs, it's a little to hefty. I want something substantially smaller then my berg 210 (also have a berg 115 for pop gigs)- which is at 63 lbs or so. If it weighs enough to be hard to pickup with one hand, i use a cart, and if i'm going to take the cart, i'll just use the 210, which is my main cab by far. That's why the epifani 110 ul at 22 lbs sounds good.

I will check out the wizzy. How much do the discontinued VL208's weigh, anyone?

5. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    The VL208 weigh 45 lbs.

6. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I was in London for a meeting today and took the opportunity to pop into The Gallery to try out some lightweight cabs. My Ashdown mini 1x15 doesn't get that many outings as it's just a little too heavy to easily lug around for practises and gigs where I rely on public transport.

I tried an Epifani 110 UL and a couple of EBS cabs (NEO-110 and NEO-112). Fun, but not quite enough to justify splashing out the money at the moment as they're not that much more portable.

I had thought of looking at the GK 112 microbass extension cab as well, but they didn't have one in and the guy I spoke to hadn't been that impressed with the ones he'd tried (I remember a more positive experience in the past but it was a while ago).

Wulf
    Wulf

7. brownmik

brownmik

Mar 30, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    hey robin, i have the nyc version of the 110. it only weighs a few punds more (29). i think it sounds really good, it's pretty transparent. anyway you are more than welcome to come check it out sometime. i will pm you my #.
    mike brown

8. larry

larry Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2004
    Florida

9. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I own an Epi T-110UL, as well as an EA Wizzy. Both would be excellent options fitting the criteria which you have described. The T-110UL is a bit smoother sounding, has beautiful silky high end, and actually sounds deeper than the Wizzy at low volume. Its main limitation is that it just does not push that much air. Still, if you don't need a lot of volume, it sounds just beautiful. The Wizzy will not have the same sparkly type high end (not having a tweeter, and all), but does have plenty of articulation up high - especially for upright. It is more midrange present, and makes the Epi sound a bit scooped in comparison (which it is). Even though EA admits that the Wizzy has a bit of an upper midrange accentuation, it is still a very accurate cab, and certainly moreso than the T-110UL.

I have heard the Bergie HT112 (and the EX112), and agree that it is a very good sounding cab. Of course, you say it is too heavy, so we'll keep going...

You may want to read some of the threads on the Low Down Sound 2x8's. These are very nice sounding lightweight cabs. Although I have not heard their 2x8's, I have heard their 3x8, 4x8, and 5x8 (in addition to several other cabs). These cabs have tons of low end, and pretty good articulation, in a more old school, warm kind of way. They do not have the upper midrange presence of something like an HT112, though.

Personally, I'd think that either the Epi T-110UL or the Wizzy would be your ticket. If you really like focused, present mids, then I'd steer you towards the Wizzy.

10. Robin Ruscio

Dec 15, 2003
    Denver, CO, USA
    Sounds like the wizzy is going to be it for me. I still am going to look at the epifani next week, but i might order one from (all hail) Bob gollihur just to check it out.

11. bassame

bassame

Mar 25, 2004
    Brooklyn NY
    I have been using two Flite 110 cabs recently purchased. They each weigh 16 lbs, and I use one as an extension for the GKMB150S, and both with a WW when I need high volume. They sound great.