1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone tried the Schaller magnetic pickup with Eurosonic strings?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Charm Bracelet, Jul 19, 2007.

1. Charm Bracelet

Charm Bracelet

Apr 29, 2007
    I realize that the strings will work because they contain metal, but I was wondering if anyone can confirm if they sound any good with this pickup since they're not ALL steel. I'm really just after a big powerful amplified tone ...and I don't care if it's not "acoustic" sounding. I just don't want to drill mounting holes in my fingerboard for nothing :D

I have a set of Spirocores sitting around that would probably work better with a mag pickup, but I find that the Eurosonics sound better when I don't need an amplified tone and they're much easier to play.

2. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    Cape of New Jersey
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music (retired)
    Yes, the Eurosonics are fine with a mag pickup IME. They are among the strings I recommend with the Schaller and other mag pickups.

rafrockabilly likes this.
  3. Charm Bracelet

Charm Bracelet

Apr 29, 2007
    Thanks bob!

4. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    With a different brand of nylon / metal strings, I discovered to my dismay that the G was wrapped with aluminum instead of steel. Totally non magnetic. Sounds like the OP is covered, but with unknown strings, it's worth checking each string with a magnet before installing.

5. Dan in NJ

Dan in NJ

Sep 3, 2004
    Jersey Shore
    No exp. with the Schaller (any good?), I use the Eurosonics with a Biesele magnetic pick up. I do loud bar band gigs often and I'm happy with them.

I have them on 2 basses.

Eurosonics do sound "plastic-y" when you put them on but will sound more natural (gut-like) as you beat them into submission.

The less "zingy" attack gets you a real nice blend with a good sounding kick drum.

I don't have extensive experience w/ various strings. In my experience Bob's recommendations have always been accurate.

6. ricca

ricca

Dec 24, 2009
    Reggio Emilia ITALY
    wOW!!!!!
    Maybe I'm a little late.......I use the Shaller with Eurosonics and it sounds well. Yes, a little on the electric bass side but ok for bluegrass and rockabilly.......and lots of volume without feedback