1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Anyone try the aguiltar TH 500 head?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by edge83, Mar 19, 2013.

1. edge83

edge83

Apr 12, 2004
    Astoria New York
    Curious if any upright players have used this. Aguilar makes great stuff in general, but I have not had the chance to try this.

I'm not really digging my EA doubler so far, after having tried it in very wide variety of sized rooms / venues, and different speakers, but like the general light weight/portability that this one also offers. I have a preamp situation where two channel is not a concern anymore.

Appreciate any input. Thanks!

2. Will Kelly

Will Kelly

Mar 3, 2010
    TX
    Yes. I use one on a daily basis in with the military band I play in.

My signal chain is an Upton Hybrid, Underwood or Rev Solo pick-up to an FDeck HPF to the Aguilar TH500 into either a GS112 or whatever is handy.

It sounds great! I get lots of compliments on how natural it sounds. Lots of headroom. The FDeck HPF is your key to happiness with the Aguilar amp.

3. edge83

edge83

Apr 12, 2004
    Astoria New York
    Thanks Will - i also own a GS112 so that is good to hear.

Don't know too much about HPF's, are you saying the amp is a bit of a drag for the upright, a la certain frequencies etc without it?

4. Will Kelly

Will Kelly

Mar 3, 2010
    TX
    Im saying the input impedance of the aguilar is geared for bass guitar. If you plug your upright bass with a piezo pickup into it with nothing to change the impedance, it sounds like absolute dog stool.

The HPF filter made by Fdeck is like 60 bucks and serves two functions that make it shine for upright... first, it matches the impedance correctly for your upright, so you can plug it into almost any amp and get a great sound; second, it allows you to cut unnecessary frequencies the acoustic produces below 40Hz so you get more headroom from your amp.

Fdeck's HPF

5. Will Kelly

Will Kelly

Mar 3, 2010
    TX
    I would also add, when using the HPF with the TH500, I pretty much can leave the amp flat.

6. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    Bassist
    I'm using the Aguilar TH500 and SL112 with an Erhlund pickup (no pre). I think this head and cab are a good choice for those who want only one rig for both electric bass and DB.

7. I use the TH500 with a Full Circle and fdeck HPF, and love the sound I get. Tight and punchy, full and warm with plenty of versatility in the EQing. I use a crazy8 cab most of the time, and add a JBL keyboard monitor with a 10, 8 and a horn for louder stuff. I've been thinking about going to a 12 soon...maybe a GS112, maybe a greenboy F112.

8. scotch

scotch It's not rocket science! Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    Please see Profile for Endorsement disclosures
    I've been using an TH350 with an SL112. Simple K&K into the Radial PZ Pre- Aggie set flat. Sounds pretty amazing! I have pa support, so it's more of a stage monitor, but getting lots of compliments.

9. Realist into custom buffer into TH500 with either Berg HS210 or AE112 or SA410. I prefer the HS box but either works well. Have also used an Epi UL310S1, it's a bit too blooming in the low end though. I was surprised how well TH works for DB considering I was going to get the doubler, but the TH has more booty for slab. Have only had the TH for 3-4 mths but have played everything from jazz trio to big band to R'n'B and pop gigs.

10. Barcza

Barcza

May 1, 2005
    Budapest
    Aguilar amps has 1Mohms input, the same as on many popular DB amps ( Walter Woods, GK MB150 ). Don't need a buffer preamps with Aguilar amps. You need buffer preamp with Markbass and Epifani amps, since they has 500Kohms input.
    I use Fishman FC with my AG500 head, works very well.

11. GrowlerBox

GrowlerBox

Feb 10, 2010
    Nude Zealand
    1 MOhm is an improvement over 500 kOhm, but depending on the pickup and the amp's voicing, etc, your tone may still benefit from a higher input impedance. My 1 MOhm TCE RH450 sounds much better when I use the fdeck than when I go direct from Soundclip into the instrument input.

12. Barcza

Barcza

May 1, 2005
    Budapest
    Yes, most of the pickups need higher input impedance than 1Mohms, for optimal performance, but 1Mohms is a good starting point, since at 1Mohms there is no low frequency roll-off. Fishman recomend 1-10Mohms input for their transducers, but at 500Kohms there is auditable low-end loss.

13. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    Bassist
    To the OP: Change the thread title (Aguilar is misspelled) so next time somebody use the search function they can find it.

While we are on the Aguilar TH500 or TH350 for DB.

Can you guys share your input/eq/drive/volume settings?

14. scotch

scotch It's not rocket science! Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    Please see Profile for Endorsement disclosures
    I turn the Drive down to about 9 or 10-o'clock; Gain at about noon; Bass and Treble at noon; Mids cut at the right frequency for the room. Volume just loud enough to add some stage fill.

15. dukeorock

dukeorock Owner BNA Audio Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 8, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    Authorized greenboy designs builder/Owner of BNA Audio
    I've used fDeck HPF>> Aggie TH Pre/DI>>poweramp...sounded a lot better than I thought it would :)

16. beobass

beobass

Nov 26, 2005
    CT
    Great thread... I'm probably going for the TH350 as I crossover between bg and UB all the time. I want one amp that does it all well. From what I've read, the TH350 will be perfect. Don't need the extra power for the cost of the 500. That all being said, which cabs do you Hammer users find works well all the way around? I gravitate to 15" and 2x10" by nature, but open to thoughts on 12" speakers too.