1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

anyone use a schertler stat b with pre-AII?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by CB3000, Oct 5, 2008.

1. CB3000

CB3000 Supporting Member

I have been using and enjoying the stat-b and i was wondering if anyone uses the pre-AII with theirs. is it a big improvement? thanks!

2. LowNote

LowNote Supporting Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    I'm sorry not to directly answer your question since I haven't used a Pre-AII but only the simple little box with volume control that came with my StatB. I have this pickup installed on my Hachez bass and continue to be very happy with it, although having to use the box and two cables is a bit of a pain. I just wanted to remind people that the simpler box has a HighPass filter (not adjustable) built into its circuitry and is one of the reasons the StatB sounds so good. Before switching you may want to do some digging on Schertler's web site to check that the more expensive and elaborate pre has the same capability.

Erik Hansen

3. CB3000

CB3000 Supporting Member

thanks-i did not know that. i actually used 3M dual lock and mounted the preamp to the inside of the tailpiece. i made a really short RCA to 1/4 cable and have it permanently hooked up. so that makes setup simpler.

4. I have but I didn't like it very much. During a period of trying different pickups out, I bought the Stat-B, put it on and found it quite nice. After fitting the cork, it was pretty much plug and play. It has a nice woody tone to it.

A little later, I bought a Dyn-B and a Pre-AII. I wanted to use the Dyn-B in conjunction with the other pickup in lieu of a microphone. So far, I haven't had much luck with the Dyn-B but I haven't done the massive amount of work needed to find just the right spot for it. While I was messing around with the Dyn-B, I tried the Stat with the Pre-AII. I found that I prefer the Stat-B with the little preamp that it comes with. I worked with it for a while but never got a sound out of it that was better than the little pre that comes with the Stat.

Because the output of the Pre-AII is XLR only, I couldn't bypass the input pre or the EQ on my Focus which meant finding the right gain staging was a bit onerous and the output of the Pre-AII is EXTREMELY hot which didn't help. If it had a 1/4 inch out and I could run it through the effects return of the Focus bypassing the EQ and input preamp, it would be a lot easier to use with an amp. It seems to really be designed for running through a PA.

Long story short, the Dyn-B and Pre-AII are sitting on a shelf waiting for a day when I have time to experiment. The little pre that comes with the Stat-B is in my gig bag and actually goes to the gig.

mark

5. CB3000

CB3000 Supporting Member

thanks mark--i think i will just stick with the little preamp too... it actually sounds pretty good without much or any EQ.

6. I agree. I actually run mine through the effect return of the focus bypassing the EQ altogether. It's a nice sound.

mark

7. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    I just got a Pre A-II and am using it with the Stat-B into the effects return of an old Workingmans 12 (I have a cable with 1/4 inch on one end, XLR on the other). I like it a lot, it sounds a bit more natural than the Stat Pre I have been using.