Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone use an old school Peavey CS800 in their rig?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Stinsok, Jun 4, 2004.

1. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I remember using those in our PA years ago. We always had problems with the crossover cans.

2. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    not unless they have a chiropractor in the family ... one band I was with had two of those and a pair of 400's in one rack ... yikes! made my SVT feel like a combo... I don't recall that we ever had a failure with the xover can's though. We were using the cs-800's to drive 1x15 scoop bin's with the 'industrial' version of the Bose 901 on top. Odd looking system but it kicked butt for the time.

3. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    You can find them for next to nothing. I beleive they are 400 per side (at 4ohms.) I wonder how an 800 paired with a Sansamp preamp or BBE Bmax would sound?

4. andertone

andertone Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Southwest USA
    I used a CS800 through an Alembic F2B for about
    20 years, and for the time it was a killer rig.
    IMHO, after going the Mackie and QSC PLX route,
    they might offer a touch more in the bottom end
    but certainly not breathtaking.

The CS800 was a tank, almost indestructable

Phil Anderson
    Tucson,AZ

5. chiplexic

chiplexic

Apr 21, 2004
    Massachusetts
    They still make the CS 800 (X) $799 and 45 lbs. or CS800 (H) $849.99 and 32 lbs.

6. I currantly use a Peavey cs800s power amp and just got the BBE Bmax pre amp today and it think it sounds pretty damn good... Im also useing the SWR 8x10 working mans tower.. The sonic maximizer in the pre amp is killer the BBE has tons of bottom end!!!! :bassist: :hyper:

7. I'd like to have a $100 for everyone of those things I lugged up and down the stairs at the Elks Club. If you look at what they replaced though, they were the state of the art when they 1st came out. We were using Crown DC300A's that would self distruct at 4ohms per side. Along came the CS800 that was cool at 2ohms and actually had some protection. Rock and Roll owes a lot to the CS800

8. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    When we got our first PA it consisted of (all used heavily)4 old Peavy wedges, a Peavey 12 channel board,those awful white Peavey mics, 2 CS800's, and good old SP1's. Probably sounded like hell but we thought we were cool. I have been seeing the CS800's on ebay for about 125-150.00 and was considering buying just to play with. Maybe try it in a bass rig, or let me friend try his BBE guitar preamp through it along with his 4x12 cab. I forgot are they solid state or tube?