1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone using effects on EUB to get a more acoustic plucked sound?

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by jdh3000, Sep 6, 2019.

1. jdh3000

jdh3000

May 16, 2016
    Let me go ahead and say that I know an EUB will never sound like an acoustic double bass; that being said, I just was wondering what pedals if any someone is using.

I'm playing an NXT4. It needs a preamp, right now I'm just using a little behringer for acoustic guitar. It actually gives it a little better sound, but plan to upgrade to something LR Baggs or like Fishman Platinum pro.

But as for adding anything else, would applying a touch of room reverb be appropriate, or just muddy up the sound?

I run a dry sound on my BG, but I'm not trying to get it to sound more like something else.

Space will always be a fact for me not being able to use real upright...

2. Deltatim

Deltatim

Nov 5, 2016
    Stockton, CA
    I sometimes use a reverb set to small room,
    Very light, short delay. Adds a bit of the ambiance of the doghouse box. Not gona matcb it no how, but enhances a bit.

3. jdh3000

jdh3000

May 16, 2016
    I was experimenting a bit with some reverb, but very lightly.
    If I had an acoustic it would be easier to match the sound.

Thanks!

Zbysek likes this.
  4. madbanjoman

madbanjoman Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    Before getting a Tonedexter I used a Zoom acoustic sim effect with my EUB for a less electric feel.

5. Matthijs

Matthijs

Jul 3, 2006
    Amsterdam
    I sometimes use the boss acoustic simulator pedal. It’s a combination of reverb and digitally faked resonance. It certainly adds an acoustic vibe and some bloom in the notes if you find the right setting. For me it sounds best with arco. It does sound less ‘electric’ but I’ve found the thing I miss the most is the whole spatial interaction of the bass with the room.
    For me the EUB is mainly an easier to move tool for rehearsals. If I really need an acoustic sound I use the real thing.

Zbysek and jdh3000 like this.
  6. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    With my NS NXT4, I am using EBS MicroBass II preamp, Broughton HPF DI and EBS Dynaverb (touch of room reverb)...

jdh3000 likes this.
  7. GrapeBass

GrapeBass

Jun 10, 2004
    Toronto
    Graphic designer: Yorkville Sound
    A bit of reverb helps but typically gets lost when playing in an ensemble. I've settled on this for use in my semi-acoustic jazz/blues/classic rock trio.
    8B472741-7C30-4203-AA7A-C16130A2726A.

yodedude2, jdh3000 and Zbysek like this.
  8. jdh3000

jdh3000

May 16, 2016
    I was experimenting yesterday with my ZOOM MS60B, utilizing a preamp, an HPF and some ambiance reverb, just a bit as to mimic resonance.

Sounds decent but yes, probably will be lost in the mix.

Thanks!

Zbysek likes this.
  9. jthisdell

jthisdell Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2014
    Roanoke, VA
    I've used a touch of reverb in the past. Now I tend to not use any effects except perhaps a bit of extra gain from an All Things Equal or possibly very light compression from a Bassist.

As to the preamp, what is critical is the input impedance on the preamp. The piezo on the NXT has a 10 meh ohm output so you need a pre with a 10 meg ohm input. I use a Radial Bassbone OD and if I forget to turn on the high z input it sounds very thing and honky. There are a number of pre's with this type of input out there. A high pass filter that filters out the lowest frequencies is also useful. Are you using the AD121? This looks like it has the high z input.

Gollihur Music has a good explanation on this and alot other information for DB and EUB's:

PREAMPS: Do You NEED a Preamp with Your URB Pickup? - FAQ courtesy of GollihurMusic.com

Also strings make a huge difference in EUB, the stock Contemporary strings that come on the NXT are terrible IMHO.

jdh3000 and Zbysek like this.
  10. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    Which one? Zoom A3?

11. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    Which one? AC-3? Or AD-2?

12. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    Is this the Boss BCB-30 pedal board?

GrapeBass likes this.
  13. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2005
    san antonio, texas
    i thought there might be some more folks experimenting with 'modeling' preamps/effects...

14. madbanjoman

Feb 23, 2011
    Pittsburgh

Zoom ms100bt

Zbysek likes this.
  15. madbanjoman

Feb 23, 2011
    Pittsburgh

Zoom ms100bt

Zbysek likes this.
  16. GrapeBass

GrapeBass

Jun 10, 2004
    Toronto
    Yes, it's a bit restrictive (size of pedals) but works for the situation. My current project is a jazz/blues/classic rock semi-acoustic trio (rhythm guitar/vocals, bass and percussion). Mostly using a fretless AGB but for 'better/larger' gigs I 'll bring out my Stagg EUB (along with a jazz or p bass).

I also have a pedaltrain Nano+ (with a od and some other tone stacks) which I use when I'm doing a rock show and need more 'electric' tones.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
    Zbysek likes this.
  17. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    I have this one, too. I am able to use EBS and TC El. pedals in it (in addition to Boss pedals).

The reason why I asked is because I was wondering whether Broughton pedals fit in...

GrapeBass likes this.
  18. GrapeBass

GrapeBass

Jun 10, 2004
    Toronto
    Yes, yes they do! I sometimes swap in a Silver Deluxe or SV-Pre (depending on the need).

Zbysek likes this.
  19. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    I have my eyes on the resonant filter...do you think it is the same size as your HPF/LPF?

GrapeBass likes this.
  20. GrapeBass

GrapeBass

Jun 10, 2004
    Toronto
    I too have my 'eye' on the Resonant filter. I think it would be better suited for EUB applications. I missed it by about 1-minute last release :( and now have to wait... (setting myself up for more 'crushed dreams' that are part of the Broughton subculture).

Zbysek likes this.
  21. Hendricks97

Hendricks97

Jan 3, 2017
    I bought a little rack thing so I can clip my Fishman platinum into the NXT5 stand. Them it goes into an eq, compressor, and reverb

Zbysek likes this.