Anyone using Sennheiser mics for vocals

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by BurnOut, Dec 29, 2017.

1. BurnOut

BurnOut It's The Billy Baloney Show

Feb 1, 2015
    The Natti
    I'm growing tired of the SM-58, I know they've been the go to workhorse for many decades. I personally use SM-57 for my vocals, I like it and can work it well. For the other singers we're using 58's. Actually I switched one of our guitar player's 58 clone with a real 58, we were less than impressed. The other guitarist uses a SM-58 exclusively. I think it feeds back to much and picks up way to much of other stuff from onstage.
    Been reading about Sennheiser and how they eliminated much of these problems. Wondering if any of y'all have any experience with them and your thoughts on them.
    I'm potentially looking at getting their E845s & E935 mics, can get smoking deals on new ones.
    Thanks in advance for any thoughts or experiences with Sennheiser mics.

2. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    I use a 935

SmokinJoe992 and BurnOut like this.
  3. BurnOut

Feb 1, 2015
    The Natti
    How do you like it, how would you compare it's performance to a SM-58. Assuming you have.

4. farace

farace Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2016
    Connecticut USA
    My partner is a fantastic vocalist, with a lower female voice. She spent quite a bit of time at music stores blind-testing mics and really
    liked the Sennheiser e845. She also has liked and enjoyed the Audix OM6 and Beyer M69. She is currently using the Sennheiser e845, and has an e835 as a back-up mic. She has never gotten along well with SM58s, and calls them "barkers" because you have to bark into them. (She has a smooth and quite powerful voice, and doesn't scream into a mic.)

But I think the point to be made is that it's worth the time spent blind-testing whatever you can get your hands on and see how they react to your voice. That's the only thing that's relevant, not how any particular mic works with anyone else's.

WayneP and BurnOut like this.
  5. Sonicblaze

Sonicblaze Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2016
    Omaha, Nebraska
    I run 935 and 945's. I prefer the 945 over the 935, and prefer either over the sm-58's.

Nothing scientific about my tests/feelings, just always got a better sound with less EQing, and seems like less feedback problems.

BurnOut likes this.
  6. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    SM-58's are dinosaurs. My fave all around mic is a Senn. 935. I always put a 945 on a singing drummer, cause it's pattern is tighter. If a no-instrument lead singer has good technique, he'll get a 945 as well.

superheavyfunk and BurnOut like this.
  7. ddnidd1

ddnidd1 Supporting Member

Sennheiser e945 Supercardiod

musicman7722, bpmben and BurnOut like this.
  8. BurnOut

Feb 1, 2015
    The Natti
    Agreed on the 58's being dinosaurs, they did a good job for a long time, but the technology is changing. I've said this other places and was given quite a bit of crap from the people that have been using them since forever.

bpmben likes this.
  9. BurnOut

Feb 1, 2015
    The Natti
    I read a pretty large article about how Sennheiser designed their mics. That sold me on them more than anything. Just seeing here if people here are using them and their experiences with them. The SM-58 is not sounding good to me and causes more trouble than I need when trying to dial in the PA.

10. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    Reasons you can still buy an SM-58
    - Robert Plant used them.
    - Very few music stores have a guy that knows P.A. really well, and an SM-58 is an easy sell.
    -They cost $100.
    None of the reasons they still sell is that they sound good.

bpmben, joebar, BurnOut and 1 other person like this.

11. Got a link for that? I’d sure like to see it (and I’m sure I’m not the only one).

We used the “lowly” e835 in the band I used to be with. No complaints. When we were considering what to buy I was impressed with all the reviewers at Sweetwater, Musician’s Friend etc. who said they liked it better than the SM58.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Ecclesia: Unique Arrangements of Hymns, P&W Standards, and Original Tunes
    Administrator, Pedulla Club #45
    Administrator, Tobias Club #133
    Fretless Club #943
    Big Cabs Club #23
    My Rig: Stage and FOH Friendly
    My Basses

12. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    Over the years I've probably used 'em all, and I'm still using SM58/57 on stage. I play in a trio where the "leader" provides all the PA gear, and we use Senn's. I find them to sound more brittle than my Shures. If you can't get your gain staging and stage positioning correct (to get maximum gain before feedback) with your SM58's, you'll likely have the same issues with whatever mics you decide to use. I think people steer away from the Shures because they perceive them to be an old design. They are ... and they're still being made, and being bought, because it's a design that has proven itself over and over again.

bassbooty, JRA and n1as like this.
  13. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    And by implication, people who still use them can't hear how inferior they really are? Nonsense.

Bassman Spiff, D.A.R.K. and JRA like this.
  14. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    They still work. It's just that other designs have eclipsed them. The 58 Beta is vastly superior.
    If I show up at a FOH (or even monitor) gig, I replace all the 58's on stage with 935's. The usual comment is "Oh, you fixed the monitors". I always have a few 58's in my mic case, cause some people insist, and the end user is always right.

superheavyfunk likes this.
  15. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    Show me the data.

D.A.R.K. likes this.
  16. Kmonk

Kmonk

Oct 18, 2012
    South Shore, Massachusetts
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan, Nordstrand Pickups, Korg , Conquest Sound
    In my old band the lead singer had a Sennheiser. The rest of us used Beyer Dynamic. My most recent band we all used SM-58.

17. RCH

RCH

May 24, 2015
    I use a Senn e935 for our female vocalist (tenor) and think she sounds better with it, but I can't put into words exactly why. We still use 58s and Fender 58 clones for the male vocals and I'm still quite happy with them. Either way, some EQ has been necessary to tailor the mic to the singer. I don't find that I get any more feedback with one or the other. I still have to ring out the monitors except for the two of us with IEMs. I felt like I got more feedback with an e945 super-cardiod that a friend used with the band last year, which was a surprise. I've had mic stands with 58s knocked over and the mics hit the floor and they kept working fine. I've managed to avoid that with the e935, so I don't know how rugged it is.

staurosjohn likes this.
  18. Rimshot

Rimshot Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Chicago
    Adding nothing to the discussion, just finding it amusing as all get out. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year everyone.

srayb, JRA, BurnOut and 1 other person like this.
  19. rocu

rocu

Jan 28, 2015
    Missoula, MT
    Like a poster above, we use 935s on female vocals and 58s on males. No data, just like it better.

20. sawzalot

sawzalot Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2007
    But the real question is, which mic is best for metal?

smogg, srayb, n1as and 1 other person like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021