Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anything wrong with these vocals

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by carl-anton, Oct 20, 2004.

1. Hi guys.

I'm in a band called Yellowish. We're getting along pretty good here in Denmark. We just went straight to number one on a national hitlist ('national' in Denmark ain't the same as in the US. It's a small country), and at the same time we're recieving the first reviews from garageband.com which ain't so good. It's the same song in both cases, and I'm wondering why there's such a difference in the reception of this song, and the male vocals in particular, which seems to be what people on garageband.com dislikes the most. Our male singer is sometimes a bit strained by bad monitor sound, nerves and what not playing live, but recorded I allways thinks he sounds good and performs strongly. There's allways room for improvement, but I thinks it's cool now. So, what do you think? Is the male vocals on this song really crap? Why? Is it the accent, the style (he sings with the back of his mouth, with a somewhat reserved pronouncation) or is it just coincidence that 5 out of 7 mentioned it?

You can listen to the song here:

Lisa Could Die For Elvis

Tell me what you think.

2. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I think it's more likely that later reviewers are reflecting the opinion expressed by the first couple of comments. It's not quite my cup of tea (although I'm sure I could get into it) but I think the two vocalists work well in contrast to each other.

Wulf

3. When you review songs on garageband.com you cannot see who wrote the song or what other reviews it got. So I'm affraid it's not 'bad influence' from the first reviews. Thanks anyway. How's the accent/pronounciation for an englishman?

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
  5. Thanks... and vanilla isn't the right flavour with the spicey music?

6. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Does that mean I couldn't now contribute a further review for the track, having been influenced by the previous ones? Even if there's no way the later reviewers could have seen the earlier comments, there might be a general trend to comment on the vocals, which would have influenced the views expressed.

I've certainly heard a lot worse ;)

Wulf

7. Well, I'm not too familiar with the site yet, but you do reviews to earn credits to upload your own songs so they can be reviewed. So you bassically log on, and click 'review mucis' and randomly chosen songs are presented to you. You can't choose which songs you'll review, and you can't do a review of a song you found and really like. You can list yourself as a fan of the band though. I think that's how it works. Cool site.

8. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Interesting - that would greatly reduce the chance of direct influence between reviews of one song, although it's still susceptible to the whims of fashion; perhaps more so if you have to write some kind of review to get credit for uploading your own songs.

I picked on one of the reviewers who wasn't happy with the male vocals and it looks like he writes something about vocals (generally not complimentary) in all of his reviews. Since they are only two or three sentences long, it suggests an area this person tends to focus on above others.

It doesn't look that easy to pull up all the reviews by a single person to get a sense of their style but, if you and your fans are happy with the sound then don't worry about it. Personally I wouldn't gush too much about the vocals but I certainly didn't feel that they detracted from the song - it's just not the kind of thing I normally choose to listen to (subjective opinion rather than objective judgement).

Wulf

ps. I like the bass playing on the track, especially the glissandos in the verses

9. I'm worried because I sometimes think our male singer underperforms, and some of my friends and audienceses thinks so too. But his vocals is very susceptible to bad monitor sound (so are the girls) and especially eq (tends to get lost, and sounds uninteresting). His detached style doesn't help on this. It also struck me that maybe most americans are put off buy the style. Morrisey was never big in the US I think (?)

Thanks for your compliments :) It's a fun song to play.

10. I like the sound of the vocals. Kinda like the Pet Shop Boys.

Don't like the keys. Both how they are played and how they sound.

11. Ok. Just goes to show how different we are. I really like the keys :) The pet shop boys thing I don't see. Someone said it on garageband.com too. Was that you :D

12. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I've been intrigued enough by the garageband.com website to sign up and get involved. One thing I notice is that when you do a review, there's a note down the side saying "This band has asked for comments on..." followed by three areas. You didn't include "vocals" as one of those three areas did you (out of interest, what did you put)?

Wulf

13. No, we didn't include anything. We're just wanted to hear what struck people the most, and didn't want to highlight anything more than the other.

Good luck there. Let me hear how it went (though it'll take some time to get through doing 30 reviews ;) )

14. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I heard some great tracks already so the reviewing isn't too painful. Anyway, I'm not sure if any of the recordings I've got with the 'Teeth are yet ready for that kind of exposure (although the songs and and arrangements are, IMO, pretty strong, we haven't quite captured that in a great sounding recording) and although the 'Jones have now got some excellent demo material (available on the website) it's all cover versions and thus doesn't qualify.

Therefore, if it takes me a couple of months to build some uploading credit, that doesn't really hurt in the big scheme of things.

Wulf

15. WEZZ

WEZZ

Nov 16, 2003
    Sweden
    i honestly enjoyed the vocals, and the whole song actually....keep it up! :p

16. Thanks WEZZ :)

..And Wulf, good luck with the originals!

17. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Also, your hook is a descending chromatic scale. Ish.

18. I find nothing particularily wrong with the whole song. The solo is pretty cool. The guy has a pretty generic/ slightly goofy tone, but it's not a very big turn off, if any.

I felt the first "section" of the songs drags a bit, but the female vox do the whole song good. Cool bassline too.

Definitely a good pop song with a slight original twist.

19. Very cool music. I like the keys, vocals, everything. The male vocalist does have quite the thick accent, but it's not his fault. I think that's his biggest problem, and that's about it.

20. Thanks guys :) Keep it comming. It's helpfull.