1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Apartment building pipe burst.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by FingerDub, Dec 13, 2017.

Tags:
  1. ptg

ptg

Mar 16, 2008
    Hey! I work for one of their competitors and we're better :)

@FingerDub I can tell it's being done by a professional restoration company as they would have run the fans in that fashion but with a black water (sewage) issue there is a lot more that needs to be done.

I'm sure this is covered by the building's insurance (hence the professional restoration service) and there are protocols in place for this type of a loss.

While they are not obligated to pay for your personal losses unless stated in your lease, you are certainly entitled to live in a healthy environment. (This not only refers to sewage exposure but to mold, etc.) Ask your landlord and find out exactly what repairs he plans to effectuate and what the timeline is and press him to stick to it. It's rare that these things are not taken care of. Don't forget if they lose tenants they lose money.

Good luck...I know it's a terrible thing to have to go through especially during the holidays! :-(

2. FingerDub

FingerDub Banned

Jan 8, 2016
    The 2 fans, one in the bathroom feeding those pipes and the one in the living room under the carpet look like this and are fairly sizeable.

b-air-blower-fans-ba-vp-25-bl-64_1000.jpg

3. ptg. Since you are in the business, can you tell if they are using the Injectidry system? (Which I only learned about after reading the original post, seeing the photo, and searching for a system that would be used for this work).

Why wouldn't they make openings at the very top, and bottom of each cavity to make the air flow through the entire space of every cavity? How do they know that everything is actually dry?

If it was my building, I would feel more confident about completely drying everything out by removing, (at least) the bottom four feet of drywall. Drywall replacement is not very costly.

Just curious to hear what someone who is in the business has to say about it. Especially since I have my own idea about how I would deal with something like this that is different than what looks like is being done.

I've been trying to read the manual for the machine I think they might be using here: http://www.jondon.com/media/pdf/manuals/OE-HPPWCP_manual.pdf but it's not easy because I'm on my phone, and will have better luck when I get home and can use a real computer.

Thanks

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
  4. ptg

ptg

Mar 16, 2008
    Yes, there should be an exit point otherwise they are just building up negative pressure in the walls.

And, yes, the carpet and drywall should definitely be removed!

Edit: Removing the carpet and sheetrock is a must assuming your assumption that we are talking about a black water loss is true. If not, the carpets can be dried out (although they may be stained). The sheetrock can be dried as well but it would need to be inspected for mold if the water stood for any length of time.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
    GregC, Hoochie Coochie Man and MJ5150 like this.
  5. maxmaroon

maxmaroon

Oct 25, 2010
    New England
    The first thing I would do is verify if it is or isn't black water; it is unlikely from the info you shared but I have seen some sh#t..no pun intended. If that is black water do not stay there until they have removed and replaced everything affected and until an air quality test is performed.

(I have been in commercial property management for over 20 years and performed clean up on 3 multi floor floods this year alone)

Stumbo likes this.
  6. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

All of the above....very good advice.

No insurance.

Major, major, major, MISTAKE. Never, ever rent without taking out renter's insurance. It's cheap and necessary.

Stumbo and FingerDub like this.
  7. Razman

Razman

Feb 10, 2005
    Orange Park, FL
    I'd do what @Stumbo said and get the gubmint all over their hind end - learn, understand, and execute your rights in this situation.

Stumbo likes this.
  8. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    @FingerDub sorry about your hassles. You've had more than your fair share of late.

At least you got the new wheels with lots of carry space should you need to change... venues.

Hang in there, tough luck really does seem to come in streaks, as does good fortune.
    Such is fate's "random stagger."

9. FingerDub

FingerDub Banned

Jan 8, 2016
    Thanks so much man. Very appreciated. Words matter.

Son of Wobble likes this.
  10. 73BLow

73BLow

Sep 26, 2017
    Central MA
    Good luck man and hide that 3rd pet!

catcauphonic likes this.
  11. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    This thread is reminding me to re up on the renters insh. Don't have a lot of material value aside from my bass setup and sizable record collection, but the littler items add up in the event of a fire or such.

Hopefully your situation gets 'aired out' with very little more accumulated stress.

Son of Wobble likes this.
  12. Tom Bomb

Tom Bomb Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2014
    NOT fair. Best wishes, FingerDub

All I want for Christmas is a hardwood floor.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
  13. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    • Laws are different in every state, not to mention cities, but @Stumbo has practical knowledge. Get photos, and get the to the municipal offices. Remember, the closet you get to the holidays, the less likely they will be fully staffed, or people there wanting to work, so go asap. Good luck.

Stumbo likes this.