1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Are bassists looked down upon?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Thundersteel, Mar 13, 2008.

1. I recently read a thread in a guitar forum, and one poster said, "Bass players are just failed guitarists."

Kind of bothered me a little bit.

Opinions?

2. Bassenstien

Bassenstien

Jun 13, 2006
    Mississippi
    Get used to it. Guitarist can be jerks.
    Some are cool. Most are not ha.

3. Lammchop93

Lammchop93 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    Dude whats really funny is when you piss off a gui**** by outsmarting him in music. They get so mad. I say we go on guitar forums and talk about how good bass is.:p

4. dreadheadbass

dreadheadbass

Dec 17, 2007
    england
    ha ha they just say that because we can do stuff on a 4 string that they can only dream about on a 6 string

seriously though as much as they winge and whine just offer to leave a band and watch the gui****s jump up n persuade you not too this comes from the fact that good guitarists are 10 a penny but good bassists are like hens teeth

5. T-MOST

T-MOST Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2004
    NJ via NYC
    well, you could tell him that lead guitarists all have little pr*cks! :smug:

6. BNiedz13

BNiedz13

Mar 6, 2008
    Cumberland, RI
    +1 that's so true.

7. Bassenstien

Bassenstien

Jun 13, 2006
    Mississippi
    +2 Oh so true

8. notenslaved

notenslaved I survived the 80's only to see it return.

Feb 13, 2008
    Connecticut, USA
    You can't expect a someone with an attitude like this to understand that someone might actually choose to play bass as opposed to resorting to it because guitar didn't work out.

9. they fear us cuz they need us

furthermore... i PLAY guitar... and i have ALOT more fun on bass, so I have taken it as my main instrument for awhile now.

10. Qvist

Qvist

Jul 20, 2007
    Denmark
    That's not just 'cause they're guitarists, that's because their personalities sucks!

11. Short answer: YES.

"Oh, you play in a band?"
    Yea
    "what do you play?"
    Bass
    "...oh..." (changes subject)

This is why I know I *must* love bass :bassist:

+1

12. Natural for a guitar message board. Bassists (not myself) sometimes look down on guitarists for some reason.

13. Busker

Busker

Jan 22, 2007
    My own step daughter says nobody notices the bass player. LOL

How about noticing how thin and lifeless many songs would sound without some good bottom?

Bah. I play the guitar too. Bass is more fun, whether it gets you notice or not.

There was one metal band repeatedly advertising for a bassist that they could not find. They started calling for "disgruntled guitarists" to step forward and take up the bass.:rolleyes: No kidding, really.

14. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    That's like that popular assumption that all drummers are dumb. Well, we all know that's not true: not "all," but "most" is more accurate.

Kidding.

15. El-Bob

El-Bob Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2006
    Hamilton, ON
    IME this type of thing only occurs online. when a guitarist actually hears a good bassist, they usually shut up pretty quick.

16. afinalfantasy

afinalfantasy Banned

Jan 11, 2006
    I've always noticed the bass players of bands are usually the nicest, and guitar plays in general are rude.

It could also be that some bassists today make the instrument look like a joke, like Pete Wentz

17. tmart937

tmart937

Jan 20, 2006
    I just beat em to the punch and always refer to myself as "just the bass player"

Fan "what do you play?"
    Me "oh, I'm just the bass player."

Mainly because if the bass player has an ego the band would not fit on stage with the singer and lead guitar.

18. Didn't know fiction writers play guitar. ;)

19. Depends on how tall you are. I'm the shortest one in my band, so yes, I get looked down upon.

All joking aside, I was technically a guitarist before switching to bass. I wasn't a very good guitarist. I'm an alright bass player. Bass was definitely easier for me to get "decent" at. I'm not saying bass is an easier instrument. I just think more like a bassist, that's why guitar was difficult for me.

I read an interview on the Deleo brothers (sp?) from Stone Temple Pilots (this was about 10 years ago), and the brother who played bass (can't remember first names, and I don't know which is which anyway) was also a decent guitar player, and actually wrote a few of STP's hits on guitar. He was asked which was easier, guitar or bass. His response, which I completely agree with, was guitar is like playing badminton, while bass is like playing tennis.

20. Yeah, bass is dumb(I'm considering taking up guitar & thought I'd work on my attitude first ;)).