Are Blue Steels still good?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by HazyMan, Oct 22, 2018.

1. HazyMan

HazyMan

Feb 21, 2018
    I've searched about them and people say that they have changed to WORSE.
    How good is their tone and how long do they last? Do they still have that long string life that they always had. Also, how good are Blue Steels in comparison to Elixirs?

2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Jack Casady still endorses them.

3. Mikhail1

Mikhail1

Apr 8, 2008
    Jack gets them for free. I've heard that DM's have changed since they moved production. I used to use their standard nickels and they were great but lately I've been running EB's on everything except my acoustic guitar.

4. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

I put some on at the beginning of September & TBH at first I hated them!
    It was a loud, boomy mess, not very musical sounding.

After about 2 days they broke in, I suppose, & sounded great.

5. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    I tried them for the first time a few months ago and am very impressed with them.

6. HazyMan

HazyMan

Feb 21, 2018
    What do you mean that it was a loud boomy mess and that they BROKE IN after 2 days? Can you send me a sample of what they sound like now?

7. I've heard more complaints about Dean Markley since they stopped winding their own strings.

One interesting recent development is a company called Apex Strings, which apparently was started up by people who used to work for Dean Markley as string experts.

You might want to check out a couple of the recent threads about Apex:

APEX BASS STRINGS

Apex Strings - First Impressions w/ Audio

8. Anemic_SluG

Anemic_SluG Supporting Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Washington
    I have played Blue Steels since they were released. And they are not even close in tone, life, or feel. Just run and run fast. Better choices out there. For me so far it has been GHS super steel.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 4, 2021