Are G&L's indestructable?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by darkside 88, Sep 9, 2005.

1. darkside 88

darkside 88

Feb 23, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    I figure a bass that heavy would be tough as nails...also I notice that A LOT of G&L owner are self proclaimed 'converts', so is this an every bass, a GAS ender?
  2. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Everything's destructable....

3. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Nope. Not by itself. I've played a G&L on a few occasions and never really developed any interest.

Every brand or builder has a pile of converts...There are piles of them around here...Sadowsky, Warwick, Fender, etc...We all choose our own poison, and different types call to different people.

I have a maker I like the most...someday he'll learn to install those frets straight. :smug: I can't see why others aren't jumping on that wagon!
  4. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    I liked my L-2000 (4 string)so much i just bought an L-2500 (5 string). My L-2000 is Swamp Ash...i don't believe that is a particularly heavy wood...I felt heavier. I guess it's more heavy than Balsa!
  5. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    I had a field day at Manny's the other day... and I must say I was surprised. The left their Fodera out : )... but the action was a little messed up. Then they left their G&L L-2000 out. I really liked how it sounded, but it wasnt my sound. It was heavy, but not at all as heavy as my bass. I think I like the feel of a heavy bass... it felt still perhaps too light for me (ither light as a feather or deadweight ).

Indestructable? What the heck are you planning on doing to your basses that they would need to be indestructable?

PS Im not convert. imo there are basses that have a nicer sound for the same money (Marcus Miller Fender Jazz, many a warwick... Foderas).
  6. darkside 88

darkside 88

Feb 23, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    And also, is the L2000 really all of Leo's basses rolled into one, insanely versatile bass? Because lately I've GASsed for a P, a J, AND 'ray.
  7. zandar

Jul 8, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    I've had a G&L L-2500 for about a year and a half, in which time I've gigged, practiced, and recorded a ton, I think it sounds great but that's really up to you...I quickly found my favorite setting (all knobs 100%, all switches in their right-most position. I'm not really into the active sounds it turns out). Supposedly you can dial in any sound you want, J-bass to musicman, whatever...that may or may not be true, I'll never know. BUT as far as this thread is concerned...the bass has lived through several flights stored in cargo, and spent most of the summer in my car's trunk. Yes, I'm a horrible person for subjecting this fine instrument to that heat but it's my workhorse, utility instrument and it has stood up well. Indestructable, hell no. But totally dependable.
  8. loendmaestro

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    Nothing nails all of the sounds of different basses perfectly (I don't care what Line 6 says), but the G&L sure comes close. They are well crafted, EXTREMELY versatile instruments which are easy to adjust & easier to play. I've been able to approximate a P-Bass/J-Bass/Stingray/Rick clank. It sounds fantastic live - cuts through w/o any harshness & is also a very effective bass for recording. Smooth, bold & clean.

Leo's crowning accomplishment.