1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Are Jaguars Worth It?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dubadays, Apr 13, 2009.

1. Dubadays

Dubadays

Apr 4, 2009
    I'm looking at a Fender Deluxe Series Jaguar Bass, and I'm seeing some good things. I know it's a matter of opinion, but I'm also looking at a Gibson Les Paul Bass, a Music Man Stingray, a Fender Jazz Bass, and a Rickenbacker, so how does it rank up against those? I mean, except for the Music Man, those other basses are kind of pushing my price range (even used), and the Jaguar's lookin pretty good right now. I am looking for a bass that can produce sounds anywhere from RHCP sounding, to Wolfmother/Led Zeppelin-ish. Could this bass do that?

PS. How hard is it to replace tuning pegs? I know it's not that big of a deal, but the stock Fender tuning pegs have always annoyed the crap out of me :D

2. Nothing really rank up against a Ric :smug:

RHCP sound: MusicMan

Wolfmother sound: Ric

Zeppelin sound: Jazz

Throw it all together, and what do you have?

No idea

3. Dubadays

Dubadays

Apr 4, 2009
    Um.... a RickenMan Jazz Bass. :D
    Actually I just learned that Chris Ross (Wolfmother bassist) used a Jaguar, so unless I hear some bad things about it here, I'm going to be pursing this bass :p

4. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    There is no Fender American Deluxe Series Jaguar Bass that I know of. Only a Japaneze Model so far.

5. Marshbass

Marshbass

Dec 7, 2006
    Australia
    hmm, every time that i've seen them live he played a Ric. I suppose that is neither here nor there given that Chris and Myles have both since left the band.

6. Dubadays

Dubadays

Apr 4, 2009
    Weird, maybe it was just a mislabel or something, but you know what I'm talking about.

7. Dubadays

Dubadays

Apr 4, 2009
    I'm seeing that he mainly plays a Ric, but he plays a Jaguar and a Precision as well.

As for the band change, the new drummer is miles ahead of Myles (Believe it or not, that was not intentional). I haven't really heard much of the new bassist, but from the single he sounds good. Boy I hope they don't screw this new album up. What a poor decision it was to go with the NIN producer.

8. serein2j

serein2j

May 25, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I've got both Jaguar and Stingray HH and they're both different Animals. But very versatile. Both can get lots of different tones. But Rickenbacker? I donno... it sounds great but in versatility department, I don't think it can come up against Stingray and Jag.

9. Dubadays

Dubadays

Apr 4, 2009
    So if you had to pick in between the Jag and Stingray, what would you go with?

10. mrniceguy715

mrniceguy715

May 2, 2006
    oklahoma
    wow two very different basses.... If I where in for a four. I would more than likely go with the Jag. But for me its a whole dif type of music. Plus I like the range of sound you can get with the 2 seperate pickups over just switching coils. And I am a sucker for blocks in rosewood boards

11. Linkert

Linkert Guest

Oct 24, 2006
    Look at a Jaguar as a Jazz bass with more versitility and another body shape. GREAT BASSES!

12. Dubadays

Dubadays

Apr 4, 2009
    So, I hate to say that I am bumping this (bump is such an ugly word), but are there any other opinions out there?

13. 76JazzRay

76JazzRay

Mar 30, 2009
    Arizona
    I'd consider the MusicMan Bongo for all those sounds. It's very versatile in the HH version. People love 'em or hate 'em, I love 'em. My other bass is a 76 Jazz.

14. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Opinions are what stupid people have instead of data.

Here's a data point: The street price has nearly doubled on these in a little over a year, without any increase in features or quality.

Does this seem like an incentive to buy?

I didn't think so.

I didn't find these especially attractive when they were going for $499.99.

15. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    The Jag Bass is one of he coolest looking basses on the market. You should get it, I would stay away from red, it will look like an SX (Not that there is anything wrong with that).

Get one of the cooler vintage /retro colors, the chics will dig it.

16. DanRJBrasil

DanRJBrasil

Jun 10, 2007
    the prob with the jag is the shielding there's a bunch of topics about how noise it its, if you are willing to to a shielding job is as good as any MIJ fender, I am not willing to pay almost a bill for a MIJ fender with a noise problem, with those new prices, fender are not so attractive anymore to me

17. Change all your : "looking" to "played" and you'll know ;)

18. I just bought a used HHR Jag for $399 canadian (that's before taxes) and it has none of the shielding problems that seem to plague these basses. The Jag is a good bass for someone with very small hands like myself because the neck is thin and narrow.

As far as changing the tuners here's an email I got from Hipshot regarding the tuners that would fit the Jaguars:
    The direct replacement tuners would be our HB2 and
    the Xtender would be our BT2. Our tuners are a little heavier then stock, so this will not be much help with
    neck dive problems.
    *The Ultralites that would work are our HB6C-1/2" and the Xtender would be the HE6C-1/2". A new mounting hole
    will need to be drilled, but the stock tuners would cover this hole if they where to be return to the bass. The
    weight savings would be about one tuner, that is if you where to remove one of the stock tuners.
    These basses are worth it especially if you can get a used one like I did. Play one first before buying one. Good luck.

19. I have a Jag, Ric 4001 and '79 Music Man Sabre and use each for different gigs.
    The Jag probably gets played more than the other 2 put together. Great bass.

20. I am very picky about tuning keys, and I found the Jag keys to be reminiscent of the Schallers that came with my old CIJ P. Very smooth, rock solid, and nice-looking IMHO.