1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Are my speaker cables compatible

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MapleBurl, Aug 21, 2012.

1. MapleBurl

MapleBurl

Aug 22, 2010
    San Rafael, CA
    I just bought two speaker cables with Neutrik NL4FX connectors. They work fine for my Genz-Benz GBE, but I get no sound when I use them with my Markbass LMII. My existing cables, which have the NL2FC connectors, work for both amps. I've contacted Markbass but have not heard from them. Is there any reason the NL4FX should not work with the Markbass amp? I'm hooking the heads up to Accugroove cabs, in case that makes any difference.

THANKS!

2. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Strange that it works on one amp and not the other. How are the connectors wired? They should be +1 / -1 on both ends...

3. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Hmmm, does not make sense. All GBE amps are wired 1+/1- so this confirms that your NL-4 cable is wired 1+/1-. The NL2 only has 1+/1- terminals so that can't be mis-wired. I'm assuming that you are using the same speaker cabinet when testing both amps?

There are some alternate wiring schemes available on the NL-4, such as 1+/2+ on the amp end and 1+/1- on the speaker end for bridging purposes but this wouldn't work on either of your amps.

Puzzling indeed. Let us know what you find.

4. MapleBurl

MapleBurl

Aug 22, 2010
    San Rafael, CA
    Thanks for the replies. I emailed the people who made the speaker cables and they looked up both Genz Benz and Markbass to confirm they both take 1+/1- which is how the cable connectors were wired. Nobody seems to know how this condition could exist. Fortunately I have a few NL2's, so I guess I won't worry about it.

5. WingKL

WingKL

May 12, 2007
    Couldn't you just open up the connector and look at what's going on? You're pretty sure the connectors are genuine Neutrik right?