1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Are They Really? (bartolini content)

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ckitz, Sep 27, 2010.

1. ckitz

ckitz

Jun 7, 2010
    Right Behind You
    Are bartolini pups really as good as everyone else is making them out to be?

Discuss.

2. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    If you like them, then yes they are.

3. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    Truth be told, I don't care for them. If you look around, you'll find the same kind of love for just about every pickup brand. The question is, what are you looking for in a pickup?

I personally like my pickups to be wide open, bright, and with a prominent mid/upper-mid range for a more aggressive sound. I find the Delano and EMG handle this quite well (SGD should probably be on this list as well, but I've never used Dave's pickups personally). I find Bartolini to be a bit more on the smooth, darker side of things. Fine if that's what you want, but it's not my cup-o-tea.

4. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

They are fantastic at what they do, which isn't everyone's taste.
    It's good to have so much choice isn't it?

5. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Inactive Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Depends on what you like.

I like them. Other don't.

What *I* hear with them is a warm but slightly scooped output with a hint of what could be called "natural compression". If that sounds good to you, then you might like Barts. If not...

6. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Think about it. For the "everyone" that is making them out to be so good, obviously they are. So either you don't really mean "everyone", but really just "your one buddy, or that one guy at the GC Accessories counter"; or you are hoping to hear a dissenting voice from some exception who doesn't have the same tastes as "everybody". Besides, all the opinions you heard before, how are they any different in value or believability than what people will post in this thread?

In seriousness though, only you can decide whether they are any good for your tastes. It's not like there is just one definition of whether a pickup is "really all that good". Listen to them for yourself.

7. Baron Von Vik

Baron Von Vik

Jun 11, 2010
    Somewhere in Arizona
    Mojo FunkBasses
    I like them because they're quiet and give my Ibanez a full rich sound. Then again, I like the EMG I recently installed in another bass. Although not tonally similar, they have the same characteristics, ie smooth and round, quiet, not too over the top, with a hint of compression. Plus they allow the harmonics to sing better, IMO. Maybe I'm just an active pup fan.

8. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    I don't really like these qualities in a pickup (for me, but I like listening to others who do sometimes) which is why I like Bartolinis. Listen to as many basses as possible as well as sound clips on the internet and start figure out what it is that you really want in your sound. It may take a while and it may change as you go.

9. tubby.twins

tubby.twins Amateur Pickup Reviewer Gold Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Oregon
    I've tried both the Bartolini "deep tone" and the "classic bass" soapbar models, and I prefer the latter. The "deep tone" pickups are a bit too dark for my tastes, but I can see how they would work well for certain styles or genres. I think they might sit nicely in a mix.

The "classic bass" pickups are different from the previous descriptions of the Bartolini tone in this thread. They have more upper midrange resonance, but not as much treble detail or clarity as other, brighter pickups out there, such as EMGs or Q-Tuners. IMO the dual-coil pickups sound similar to the Delano SBCs - or, to put it another way, the Delano SBC's tone picks up where the Bartolini "classic bass" tone leaves off, bit with improved clarity and treble detail. But they are not that different.

However, the "classic bass" series is still a great starting point, and they sound especially good in a fretless bass. They aren't perfect, but they do work in many situations.

10. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    New England
    3 of my basses have Bartolini PU's. That's how much I like them.
    Clean full sound. That's what I hear.

11. i owned a pair and theyre so good. They´re dead silent, clear, and have a mid growl that no other brand have. Maybe they´re too jazzy, not the typical "in your face" sound. I replaced them for some hand made neos, for me the best choice, but i really miss the boosted mids of my old bartolinis.

12. lug

lug Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    For me Barts are all about the setting. I love 'em in really bass-centric stuff but they don't do much for me in a heavier guitar driven environment. They have wide frequency response that works great where the bass is more predominant. If you are going up against something like a couple of distorted guitars, I'd rather go with something like a regular Pbass or MM sound.

13. Thunderthumbs73

Thunderthumbs73

May 5, 2008
    Apparently for you they are not, because you asked the question. But be aware of the notion that just because "everyone else" you might have heard from thinks they are good (and you don't), that's really not "everyone else". Also, might want to wonder a little less about what "everyone else" thinks and focus more on what YOU think.

14. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Bartolini's are my favorite pickups.

YMMV.

15. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    I put a Barts in my '76 Precision, my '96 Stingray (with a Duncan preamp), and my '87 MIJ Jazz, and they improved all three basses. I'm waiting for a PJ set + preamp to put in one of my Soundgears; I have no doubt they'll impove that bass, too.

16. RTL

RTL Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Leander, TX
    Well, I've had Bartolinis in all 3 of my Roscoes, my Elrick NJS5, Modulus Q5, 2 Laklands, and at least one Fender. So, if you ask me personally, I'd say yes.

Also, something to consider.. Bartolinis are stock equipment in more high end (expensive) basses than anything else - and by a pretty big margin. I think that's about the best endorsement you'll come across.

17. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    Oh, hell yeah they're an improvement! I can't wait for practice tonight!

18. Red Planet

Red Planet Inactive

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    I'm cranky in my old age.
    IMO Barts are the best.

I have been using their pickups for somewhere around 30 years. They clearly build a very high quality pickup and preamp.

I just ordered a set of pickups and a 3 band pre with mid switch for a G&L L-2500.

I can not wait til I hear that classic unmistakeable Bartolini tone coming out of this G&L.

19. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Theyre good pups but not among my faves. Havent owned a bass with them since Ive found other basses with diff pups that sound significantly better to me. Barts are among other things a bit weak sounding to me.

20. Red Planet

Red Planet Inactive

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    I'm cranky in my old age.
    Weak sounding?

No such thing. If a pickup is balanced across the strings no matter it's gain output it couldn't be weak. Gain is variable unless your plugging into an alarm clock. :D

You turn your gain up til the clip light comes on, back it off a little, and head for the master, Kathump.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 27, 2021