Are they really that different?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SteveC, Oct 26, 2011.

1. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Looking for a 5 string.

Sadowsky M5-24, Yamaha Nathan East, G&L L2500 all have similar placements - humbuckers close to the bridge. I play a Nathan East and thing it sounds nice. I play a Sadowsky and it seems really modern to my ear. I haven't played a G&L for a while, but I don't recall it being particularly modern like the Sadowsky. What is it I'm hearing - or think I'm hearing? Are the pickups/preamps really that much different?

I'm trying to decide what 34" scale 5 string to go with for church and smooth jazz gigs and these are top contenders.

Any thoughts?

2. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    I think it depends entirely on what your personal interpretation of the term "modern" is.

3. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    It really doesn't matter what bass you use for any specific gig.(as in...you can do any gig with any bass and you'll be one of a very select few to notice any difference at all apart from the body colour)
    It's all down to what you like , what feels good to you and if it is something modern you want...what is it you consider modern.

4. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    The difference you're hearing is how the electronics are voiced. The Sadowsky, although 2 band, is voiced to be more modern. The G&L does not have a modern voice, IMO. The Yamaha I would think would be more modern than the G&L.

My SR5 HH has a 3 band pre, but I wouldn't describe it as a "modern" tone.

5. SteveC

I guess that's what I hear as well. As far as the SR5, I wouldn't call it modern, either. I guess the preamps have a lot to do with it.

I'm just surprised I don't care for the tone (love the feel) of the Sadowsky M5-24 as say the Yamaha as the East pups are as close to the bridge as the Sadowsky.

I'd love to have 24 frets but there aren't as many options for that on a 34" scale.

6. nostatic

nostatic

Jun 18, 2004
    Lompoc, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    M5-24 has a distinct voice. The G&L has a broader palette imho.

How is the PJ working out?

7. SteveC

Yeah, I've tried the M5-24 a couple times so I won't go back there. The G&L is very tempting - especially the new M line coming out. 3 band EQ, blend knob, slimmer neck front to back, etc.

I am also curious about the Carvin SB5000. Seems like a nice jazz alternative.

I'll PM about the PJ...

8. SteveC

I'm leaning to the G&L as it's a quality US made bass and affordable. Seems like it may be the most versatile of the bunch.

9. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Fiff voicings for pups can make real big diff. diff voicing fro preamp center freqs can also have large impact on diff sound char for tone tweaks andoverall voice.

10. LowBstring

LowBstring

Feb 12, 2011
    Maine
    Does a Sadowski "feel" like a Fender Jazz?

I didn't like the Fender 5 string Jazz, neck felt bulky. So would I not like the Sadowski, either? (Never tried one.)

11. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member In Memoriam

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    The G&L is a much more raw sounding bass than either the Sad or Yammie.
    It's very much it's own thing, and while they have several voicings, it is what it is.

The new G&L M-Line is going to move it back into more to more conventional, and more capable, really, with the boost and cut preamp, and mid control. The M line will be very different from the L line; and probably a pretty decent choice for modern/church stuff.

The Yammie might still be the best choice out of the three, but I haven't played a Yammie in a long time, and I haven't laid hands on a new G&L.

12. SteveC

I thought I had a trade in the works for a Yamaha Nathan East BBEast 2. Maybe I need to hold out until I can find one of those foe a reasonable price. Might be the best compromise. I'm tempted by G&L, but just not sure. Sadowsky (I'd go with a jazz type, not the modern this time) is a "known" commodity, but maybe more than I want to spend.

13. lowfreqgeek

lowfreqgeek

Mar 15, 2010
    Tijeras, NM
    Which Fender Jazz 5 did you try? The neck on my '08 is very thin front-to-back. It's relatively wide, but "bulky" is not a word I'd use to describe it. The necks on my Spector and older G&L L2500 were much more bulky, despite narrower string spacing. The older Fender necks were not as nice.

I can't speak to the Sadowsky, but the width is about the same, or a little wider than the Fender. If it was the width that bothered you, the Sadowsky may not be right.

14. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    With the Sadowsky:
    You don't need an NYC unless you 'need' fancy wood.
    Metro's are cost competitive with any really good JJ-even high end Fender CS; and used are an even better value.

15. SteveC

I'd definitely go Metro - and used. There's a beautiful 24 fret J/J for sale right now, but I don't have $2,100 until I sell my basses.

16. lowfreqgeek

lowfreqgeek

Mar 15, 2010
    Tijeras, NM
    I'm seriously temped by the new M2500. I recently let my fretted L2500 go; I'm *really* glad I still have my fretless L2500.

17. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    The one other thing to keep in mind with G&L:
    the string spacing is narrower than most. This bothers some folks-like me-and not others.

ymmv.

18. DanHibiki

DanHibiki

Apr 16, 2008
    I think the main difference between the G&L and the others is the MFD pickups. The preamp doesn't change the tone that much, it is mainly a passive bass and I don't think of it as a modern tone. It is much more like a blend between a Jazz and a Precision for me than something hi-fi sounding...

19. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    The pickups in the new M-line G&L are wound different than the L-line...so, that's part of the new sound too.

20. DanHibiki

DanHibiki

Apr 16, 2008
    Yeah, I was referring to the L series on my post, should have clarified that.

I hope I could try one of the new M basses at some point in the near future, but I don't think it is going to happen any time soon since it will take a while until I can spot one of these here in Brazil =[

I think its approach is so different compared to the L series that it could be something that I don't like as much.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021