are YBA200's stable at 2ohm???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by learning_towalk, Aug 22, 2004.

1. I thought I saw on here somebody said that it was, but I only see a 4/8 switch on the I was just curious
  2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    it's tube... ohm has no bearing on output wattage

BUT the Transformer has an 8 ohm and 4 ohm tap... not a 2 ohm. It should be a mod you could have a tech do.

Running it at the wrong ohm messes with tone and I'm sure ain't a good idea (but I'm just going by hear-say and memory, both of which are known to be faulty :bassist: )
  3. you can run it at 2 ohms no problem, the switch between 8 and 4 will get you slightly diffrent tones but wont affect your power ouput significantly so just use your ears. Thats what it says in the user's manual too.
  4. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    I sent an email to Traynor's tech in the States and he said absolutely no problem, it'll lose about 20 watts of power but no problem. Set it to 4 ohms and plug in another cab or 2 or 3 and it'll work fine. I've been doing it for a week or two and it's WAY better. Actually, I'll just post his email.

The first run of cabinets had a typo on the back, it is in fact a 4 ohm cabinet. Running an extension cabinet when in 4 ohm mode is perfectly safe. There will be a slight drop in total output, roughly 20 watts but there should be no negative side effects to either the amplifier or speaker cabinets if you do this. Enjoy your new amplifier and cabinet, thanks for your inquiry. If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Shale Leech,

There's the email, like he said, no problem at all. I forgot to mention I emailed him about whether the Traynor YBX1510 was an 8 ohm or a 4 ohm cab cuz on the cab it said 8 ohms but their website said 4. It is 4 as Shale points out.
  5. so even though you're losing 20wtts of power wouldn't it still be louder since you're moving more air or am I just wrong on that?

thanks for posting that email by the way too!
  6. Sorry to barge into the post, but how the YBA 200 compare to the SVT Classic???
  7. Ralphdaddy

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Yeah even with the loss of 20 watts it's WAY louder simply due to the extra cone surface. I assure you, two cabs is the only way to go with this baby. It keeps it out of overdrive longer, at least for me when I have everything set to 5 it'll distort if I'm only using the YBX1510 but with my 4 ohm Avatar B410 hooked up the distortion is gone, it's much louder and deeper and generally sounds better in every way.

As to how it compares to an SVT Classic I'm not really qualified but I'll give you my impressions based on limited use of the SVT in Guitar Center for three years, and one month of daily use with the YBA200. I've only played the SVT through Ampeg cabs and it's huge bottom always amazed me. The YBA seems to have less bottom, a slightly less powerful EQ section but in my opinion a better overall sound due to it's greater balance and ability to globally shift it's EQ using the Range control, this doesn't even include the Scoop control for slapping. I think I prefer the Ampeg's slap sound but the YBA is no slouch in that department, it's easily fast enough to fulfill MY needs, maybe not yours. But I love it. I wanted more warmth while still retaining the natural growl of my basses and it has pretty much done that for me. Always sounds good, better with two cabs but one is enough, and the best part about it? It's 1/3 the price of a new SVT. In my mind I got a hell of a bargain.
  8. thanks for your answer... also the weight issue is very important!!!
    :D :D
  9. Ralphdaddy

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Yeah, I assure you it's light for a tube amp, only 44 pounds I can carry it all over the place and it's no problem. Has two nice pull-out style carrying handles, one on each side, that are VERY strong and comfortable to use. It's an outstanding little amp honestly, I couldn't be happier with it.
  10. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    I have this head too, and I'm a big fan of it already.

But the tech told you that output power goes down as you reduce the nominal load impedance?

That's different......
  11. Ralphdaddy

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Yeah, I figured the power decreased to protect the amp somehow. I'm not what you'd call "knowledgeable" about tube amps, or amps in general, but I believe that to be the reason. Same reason I believe the Big Block 750 by M/B drops down to 600 at 2 ohms from 750 at 4. Something to do with overheating or overdriving or some such junk.
  12. Tube amp, output transformer: different rules than s/s. Search the terms I just posted.