1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Are you feeling the music? A question

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by samrock5000, May 6, 2010.

1. samrock5000

samrock5000

May 6, 2010
    Sometimes while jamming I get self-conscious and loose focuse, rythm, and feeling for the music. Any thoughts on this?

2. jpTron

jpTron

Apr 19, 2010
    NJ
    Relaxation. I'm not going to be giving good advice because I suffer from the same things but I do notice that once I'm relaxed and comfortable I'm ok. It just takes a lot for me to get there. But from what others have said they use breathing to help relax.

3. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    How and what do you practice? Part of what we are working on when we practice fundamentals (scales, arpeggios, time, fingering etc etc etc) is also focus. Which is why I'm pretty opposed to practicing while watching TV etc. You're reinforcing a lack of focus....

4. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    You gotta work at getting comfortable IMO. I'm by no means the best player around, but I am extremely comfortable when I'm on stage. My playing is all about rhythm and feeling the music.

5. JulienJeff

JulienJeff

Mar 1, 2009
    Belgium
    for me, it mainly depends on the mood. Some days I fell good, feel good in the music and can play groovy stuff. Some day, I don't feel in the music so much and I fell all I do is crap... so yes, as advised above, just be relaxed..

6. Get to know the people you're jamming with better.
    Keep things simple till you feel you've got the hang of whatever it is you're jamming around.

7. samrock5000

samrock5000

May 6, 2010
    Thanks for all the feedback. I think the magic really happens when your relaxed, focused and aware but sometimes it's hard to breakthrough that state of mind.

8. elavate7

elavate7

Jul 8, 2009
    its all about "THE POCKET"
    you definately want to feel the song first and get a solid foundation. then you can get real funky and put some fills and different scales and stuff :)