1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

"Are you good?"

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by TheEndIsNYE, Dec 4, 2011.

1. TheEndIsNYE

TheEndIsNYE

Dec 3, 2011
    This is a personal thing with me. Whenever people know I play bass, they always ask if me I'm good. And to be honest, I get so uncomfortable answering that question. I always have to ask them what they define as 'good'. If they like it, then I supposed I am.. but if not, then I guess I'm not good. To be honest, I don't really think/know if I am good, I'd at least like to say mediocre at best. Anyone else feel like this during a situation such as this?

2. Just tell um; "Not a lot walk out, and we get asked to come back. Yea, we are pretty good" and brush it off. Only a durk would ask a question like that and any answer you gave would be over their head anyway.

Move on ........

3. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    That's a pretty good response. Personally, I find that musicians ask that question just as often as non musicians. They just reword the question to, "What kind of gear do you play?"

4. sobie18

sobie18

May 5, 2002
    Shaw AFB, SC
    I tell them I am OK. Then I say that I know my scales and leave it at that. They can make up their minds after they hear me.

5. "No, but not everyone agrees with me."

6. Baron Von Vik

Baron Von Vik

Jun 11, 2010
    Somewhere in Arizona
    Mojo FunkBasses
    I say "No, but I can fake it pretty good." Which is actually true... sadly. What I want to say is "How would you know?" But I'd rather be offhand than brusque.

7. In my experience... which ain't all that much, the best musicians I've met never thought they were good. When asked, they'd just say "I'm not good enough... or I'm not as good as I'd like to be..." The ones who've bragged about how good they were... well, they usually proved to be blowhards.

8. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    I feel the same way and I've learned the correct answer is just "Yes. People have told me I'm good."

9. bassike

bassike

Apr 24, 2008
    Montreal
    I tell them that I'm normal.

so far it works cause they don't ask what do I mean.

10. If there is a gig coming up soon, I tell them to come over and decide themselves. If im good enough, they stay. Simple, huh?

11. TheEndIsNYE

TheEndIsNYE

Dec 3, 2011
    Thanks for the responses, guys! I actually feel a bit self-confident about my skill now. :)

12. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    What's wrong with saying "yes I am" ?

13. If it's a Female say..... I've never had a complaint........ Oh wait you meant am I good at playing bass!

14. Winemule

Winemule Guest

Feb 27, 2005
    Q: "Are you good?'

A: "I get paid."

Number 1 in a series "Why I don't play for free." :D

15. js1

js1

Oct 1, 2006
    Nothing in my book.

js

16. I usually just say, "No, not really." Usually my answer won't make a difference anyway. Even if I said I play better then Jaco they wouldn't know who I'm talking about.

17. My response is: "I've been working at it for 36 years, and I plan to keep doing so"

18. TheEndIsNYE

TheEndIsNYE

Dec 3, 2011
    because it really scares me to say that. If I were to give a demonstration in front of people, I'd most likely screw up so bad and they'd see for themselves and think I'm bad.

19. Mike M.

Mike M.

Feb 14, 2010
    I'm also uncomfortable saying "I'm good." I mean, you could say Tal is good, ya know? And I ain't NO Tal!!

I always say "I'm okay" and I'm comfortable with that. But then these days (due to a very long work week) I don't have anywhere the amount of time to practice that I would like. But I have been told that I never give myself enough credit. I believe in myself but I'd rather have people come up with thier own conclusions about how good they think I may or may not be.

20. I don't believe in putting myself down, so if they ask me if I'm good, I say yes. If pressed, I say that there are better than me, and worse than me, but I know the notes of the fretboard, can lay down a solid bass line, and can lock in with a drummer. And that's what makes me good. ;)