Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ARGH!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Joey3313, Dec 7, 2003.

1. Joey3313

Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
    I am just starting bass and I was told to restring my bass when I first got it (it is used). I bought some strings (Dean Markley Nickelsteel or something) and a tuner. I return home from the music store with my wallet $90 lighter only to find that the tuner I bought is crap and will not work. Everything was done according to the instructions, and nothing. It turns on but does not respond when the cord is plugged into it. If that wasn't enough to annoy me, tonight while I was going through a bass book I bought, one of the string (A) snapped. I'm guessing that they aren't supposed to do that after one day. The string were just tight enough to stay on, and it broke.

Two things:
    Did I buy crap string to begin with?
    and
    Should I go to the music store and ask for my money back, or just buy new strings (making me ever poorer than I am)?

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Did you have the cord plugged into the output?

3. you will pobably get some serious mixed reactions. but i'd say the strings were crap. d'addario xl's (or any of the "signature strings" which are basically xls)are my choice.

4. Joey3313

Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
    I had the cord plugged in just as the instructions/the music store guy said to have it. The store is cool, so I could probably just return the tuner or at the very least get them to show me what I was doing wrong. It's the string that pisses me off.

5. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Get used to it. Seriously. It happens all the time. Especially if you're play aggressively. But, there's a silver lining on this cloud. You'll know you've "made it" when you break a non-taper B string on stage. :)

6. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    The school of hard knocks. Welcome to it. The string broke because you did not get the tuner to work. The string I bet was tuned to high. Go to the music store and have them show you how to work the tuner, buy a new A string and you will be on your way for under $5.00 :p

7. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    The tuner I have works with both guitar and bass, but there is a small button that makes this selection. There have been a number of times I thought the battery was dead when the only problem was that it was set for guitar instead of bass, and it wasn't responding.

Which brings up another question: Did you install the battery?

I doubt your Dean Markley strings are the problem. As someone else mentioned, you probably had them too tight to begin with.

8. Was the volume on your bass turned up?

EZ

9. Joey3313

Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
    Yes the volume was on, and no the string was not too tight, it was loose still (I figured since I couldn't tune it I should let it stay loose). Anywho, problem fixed. I went to the music store, and the guy just said to bring my bass in and he will put the new string on and tune is for no charge...so ya...that's cool. He also showed me how to use the crappy tuner properly.

10. WhatOtto

WhatOtto

Dec 10, 2003
    Portland, OR.
    I have never broken a string. Ever. And I pluck really agressively and fast. Even sometimes I pick too. I dunno, I have other bassist freinds and they break strings all the time. I dont get it. And I have strung up almost every brand out there.
    Maybe it's because when I string up a new set, I tune the string to pitch and then I fret them at the 12th fret and pull them up about as far as I think they can go without breaking, and let them snap back at the fretboard. I do this about 12 times per string and then tune it again. Perhaps this keeps me from breaking them? Or Not. I do it because it keeps them in tune longer. (I hardly have to retune the bass and I play every day) Just wondering how all this string breakage happens.

11. a big part may be the corrosiveness of your sweat. corrosive sweat just eats away at the core of a string.

12. Me either.:meh:

[​IMG]
    Treena

13. $90 for a set of strings and a tuner?

Geesh...:meh:

14. Joey3313

Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
    And a cord...I'm also in Canada BTW, so that makes the prices weirder. Lets see....$90 Canadian is equal to what-$0.35 American?

Comes out to like $68 American...

15. natethegreatno8

natethegreatno8

Oct 5, 2003
    i like elixer nanoweb strings....they purrrrr like nothing else.....second choice are blue steel....

16. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Where did the string break? If not installed correctly, it is pretty easy for one to break at the peg.

17. Boozy

Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    I always break ernie ball strings so i finally quit using them.

When I slap on new strings.. I tune them > pull/stretch them somewhat > tune them again > pull stretch somewhat > and I repeat this a few times, untill the strings stays pretty close to being in-tune even after I have given it a bit of a pull/stretch. Seems to work for me, my strings stay in tune and they dont seem to break (unless I have slinkys on my bass, one will definately break if I use slinkys)..

I like slowounds.

I have had this korg gt-3 tuner for about 8 years I think.. works prefectly. My friends go and buy these new digital tuners and I wonder why, cause they all suck when I try and use them. The only reason I will have to buy a new tuner is if I buy a rack tuner.

I dunno why I just rambled on, I was no help at all. :meh:

18. chris4001asat

chris4001asat

Dec 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    Warehouse Manager : Reverend Guitars
    I thought I made it when I broke my E string on a gig. I was wrong. I knew I made it when I helped our keyboard player carry his B3 up the stairs at our last gig! whew!