1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Aria Pro II serial

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ViniciusSasso, Apr 15, 2006.

Do you like Aria Pro II basses?

Poll closed Apr 30, 2006.
  1. Yes! They're just too cool! Everyone should play one

16 vote(s)
    19.3%
  2. They're great as cheap basses, but don't expect too much from them

29 vote(s)
    34.9%
  3. Come on! Look further, there are much more rocking cheap basses

27 vote(s)
    32.5%
  4. No! Just crap, horrendous, terrible, don't even bother with them

11 vote(s)
    13.3%
  1. Hi bassmen (and basswomen, of course :) )

I have an Aria Pro II Magna Series. I purchased it a long time ago (1997) and I don't have its package anymore, so that's all I know about this model so far (adding it was made in Korea)

Well, there are some things I'd like to know:

Do you know Aria Pro II basses? Do you have one? And hopefully, do you know what I can figure out from its serial number? I went to the Aria USA site but it doesn't help very much. I just didn't even see a bass identical to mine (they probably don't manufacture it anymore) in any model.

Thanks in advance, and forgive my crappy english :)

:bassist:

:hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

(3 bass players and some people enjoying them...lol)

2. steve21

steve21 Banned

I don't know about yours, but I'm totally GAS'ing for an Aria Pro II SB-1000 (preferably in Black).

But that's just the Huge Cilff Burton fan in me.

3. I 've bought an Aria Pro II Legend as a begginer's bass and it was cool for the first year. Now I feel like it's holding me back; too much fret buzz, the knobs are loose, a key was broken (they are plastic) and too much neck dive...

4. You get what you pay for. "Cheap" won't hold up over time. Had an original MusicMan StingRay (1979) that I bought used in 1981 for $250. It lasted 22 years without an adjustment! Traded it straight up for a top of the line Ibanez 5 string (since I was doing drop D tunings like crazy) - plastic knobs, etc. - and the control pots bent because of the way it sat in the guitar stand during breaks at gigs!

Look for "value" and "repuation" (as in recommendations from players here - not in the brand name, since brands can change over time) also when considering "playability" and "tone." You'll be glad you did! :bassist:

5. ss81

ss81

May 29, 2005
    I know what you're saying here, and as a general rule, I agree that you usually get what you pay for, and there's more risk associated in purchasing a cheaper instrument than there is with a higher-end one.

That being said, I'd like to clarify that there's a difference between "cheap" by this definition, and "inexpensive". Case in point: Aria Pro II is one of several brands of guitars that were made in the Matsumoku factory in Japan during the late 70's and early 80's. Like you said, brands change, and the Japanese-made Arias and Aria Pro II's from that time period have nothing to do with the Aria guitars & basses made today (which I would agree are "cheap"). Second-hand Matsumoku guitars can generally be purchased inexpensively due to a lack of awareness about them (this is beginning to change), but the low price belies their superior quality, tone and craftsmanship. Obviously, I can't speak for every single guitar that came out of that factory and YMMV, but I'll speak from my own experience (warning: g**tar content): just a couple of months ago, I paid a little more than $200 for a 1983 Aria Pro II Cardinal Series CS-350 guitar in pristine condition. It easily surpasses guitars made and sold today for $300-$500 in terms of tone and playability. I wish I didn't already own too many guitars and basses, because this has made me want to get my hands on the bass version.

For more information about Aria Pro II's and other Matsumoku guitars, check this website: http://www.matsumoku.org. There's some information there about using the serial number to figure out what year your guitar was made.

Oh yes, and sorry for the g**tar content, but I can't resist a chance to show off my baby :D :

[​IMG]

6. TechZilla

TechZilla

Jun 18, 2005
    Owensboro, KY
    I bought this one new in 1987. Made in Japan. Still has the best playing neck of any bass I currently own or every have owned.

ariapro.

7. I've played a few Aria basses and have found that the 'cheap' ones are pretty much exactly that, good for the price but nothing speical. However their more expensive basses are really nice, well built and sound great!

Got serious GAS for one of these in their See-Through Black finish :bassist:

8. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Jack Bruce used to play an Aria bass. I assume it was one of their top-of-the-line instruments...

MM

9. steve21

steve21 Banned

He played an SB-1000.

As did (already mentioned) Cliff Burton and also the guy from Duran-Duran

10. Peavey makes better entry level basses IMO.

For example, I know their Milestone II is (or was?) a VERY good copy of a Fender Precision. I bought one in a pawnshop. I it to the authorized Fender dealer/service shop here (this guy's been the authorized Fender guy here since 1977) to get it set up (action lowered, bridge set up, stobo-tuned) and he said that except for some cosmetic stuff (e.g. the cut of the headstock, pick guard being 1-ply instead of 3-ply) it was and exact copy of a Fender P. The electronics, of course were a LITTLE cheaper, but not too much. Still sounded like a Precision. I used that one for 10 years! Actually, I even recorded a demo CD with it (D.I. into the sound board)!:hyper:

It, honestly, didn't go out of tune unless I changed strings. Even when it lived under my bed in a gig bag...pull it out...tune it up...OH, hey! it's STILL in tune already! Tough too, I could've chopped a tree down with that axe! The only plastic on it was the pick guard (and the pickup covers--OF COURSE!).

I guess I've gotten a bit off topic of this thread...sorry. But if someone is looking for an entry level bass, I say check out Peavey's stuff and the Fender Squire line.:bassist:

11. John Taylor :D

12. machine gewehr

machine gewehr

Sep 17, 2005
    Istanbul
    Same here bro'!!! Man I do HATE gold hardware and when its on a black bass,I want to tear 'em off but that sb-1000 is really gorgeous with its gold hardware and has an unique sound.Maybe one day... :bassist:

13. vic_6

vic_6

Dec 19, 2004
    Manila, Philippines
    i used to have a 1983 sb-1000. i thought it was a 1980 at first but from comparing pictures n stuff, it came out to be an '83.

it was a real cool bass but i just never got the tone i'd hear in my head. plus it was pretty heavy. weighed in at 12 1/2 pounds. a little too much for me.

loved the 6 way selector though. and the 35" scale was great for drop tunings.

it's now somewhere in the US.

14. Stebonw12

Stebonw12

May 1, 2013
    Richmond, KY
    None yet but I'm open to an opportunity...
    In 1983 I purchased a new Aria Pro II 'Thor Sound' TSB-650 bass in CT for just under $400 with a hardshell case. I won't speak for current Aria products but this bass is amazing. Its beautifully made with 9 laminates of maple and ash, neck through the body design with a brass nut, sealed tuning keys and a hi-mass partially sunken bridge. Each pickup has a phase switch and a combination volume/tone stacked potentiometer and weighs in at 9.2 pounds. The only modification I have done is adding StrapLoc fasteners. So after years of closet storage, I broke it out 2 years ago and have been playing in a Lexington KY based rock band. Its got about 2 dozen gigs under its belt now. The tuning is rock solid and with some new Elixir strings it is a joy to play. After 33 years it is still a beautiful piece that I am proud to own.