Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aria Sinsonido Portable Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SBassman, Jan 8, 2006.

1. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    While there has been a little dialog on this bass, there's no thread for it, so I thought I'd start one to try to stoke up some dialog.

I'm very intrigued with that bass. I spend lots of time in cars waiting - I'm the kids' taxi driver - and I could probably use that bass right in the car.

But I'd never buy something that I couldn't also gig with.

Anybody out there willing to post a soundclip?

What do you think about a bass that doesn't have an adjustable bridge? [I'd be going for the fretted version]

:bassist:

2. I used to have one, and I never actually practiced with it, but instead used it for outdoor gigs at festivals and such where I could just toss it over my shoulder and go partake in the festivities afterward without having to go put it in my car first.

The sound was very warm, with boomy bass, which projected very well in the mix. I really enjoyed playing it, but decided to sell it once I stopped playing the festival gigs.

3. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

Here's one ...

This is the fretless version of the Sinsonido, strung with LaBella BNT's. This particular clip has the tone rolled all the way to the bass side.

A Short Walk

4. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Very awesome of you to take the time to post the clip.
    Thank you.

5. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    I have tried to read the previous posts on this interesting bass.

I'm getting more and more interested in the fretless one.

I don't know much about those pickups. They're mics?

Anybody know any more about them? Anybody gig with this bass in a loud setting?

6. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    I guess I'd be pushing my luck to ask if anyone had a pic of the Back of this bass so that I can see the location of the front strap pin.

Bueller?

7. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

That's a funny name for an instrument because "Sin sonido" is Spanish for "soundless".

8. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Yeah, it is a little comical. I think it's probably sort of a rip on Yamaha's marketing phrase for their similar instruments.
    They call them "Silent."

It's a class of very portable, compact instruments that, when plugged in, can conjure some reasonably legitimate acoustic tone. [Or so they say :) - I don't own one yet, but that's just a matter of time.]

9. jwsamuel

jwsamuel

Apr 26, 2004
    Aria's selling point is that they are silent for all but the player, so you can play them anywhere. Hence, Sinsonido.

I have one of the steel string guitar Sonsonidos and it is great. I can play it in the office during lunch or take it to the park on a nice day. When I travel, I can 0play it late at night in hotel rooms.

Jim

10. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    What do you think of the intonation, considering it doesn't have an adjustable bridge?

How do you wear a strap with it? Where's the front strap pin?

Thanks.

11. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Well, the piggy bank reached critical mass, and I have now ordered a new fretless through Music123.com.

We'll see how long it takes to ship. [Historically, they haven't been real swift with pushing an order to shipment.]

When it finally arrives, I'll be able to answer my own questions.

:p

Full review sometime in the future.

12. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

:hyper: :hyper: :hyper:
    Frank -

Good for you!!! I know you've been wanting this one for a while -- I'm sure you'll enjoy it!

BTW, you probably want to invest in a good set of flats, or better yet, some LaBella BNT's. They'll make a world of difference in the tone.

Congrats, buddy!

13. jwsamuel

jwsamuel

Apr 26, 2004
    I had no problems with the intonation on the guitar. Not sure about the bass but the strap attached at the end pin and to another pin located under the neck, right where the neck meets the body.

Jim

14. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    So sad they do not make a 5 string version...

15. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Thanks, my friend. Yup - as soon as I determine it's a keeper, I'll put some flats on for sure. Looking forward to it.

16. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    And my version of this would be ...

So sad they do not make a short scale...

Just imagine the weight, size, and tubby tone of a 30 inch scale Sinsonido bass.
    :bassist:

17. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Mine finally shipped. I don't mean arrived, just shipped, starting the journey.
    From - wheresmyMusic123.com.

Not a very swift outfit. Full review when I get it in hand next week.

18. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Only spent a few minutes with it so far, but initial impressions are:

- Body wood - beautiful

- Fingerboard wood - very, very nice for this price

- Action - higher than I like, but to be expected out of the box. I'll do my own setup as soon as I reach "keeper" status with it.

- Sound - very good potential, but I need to spend time dialing it my way. Preamp has a full yet clean sound. Sounds like a tight AE bass.

- E string - tight with good definition.

Biggest thing right now is that the strings gotta go, but I'll save that for another post.

19. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    What gauge did you use for it?

The strings it shipped with are very light. But the notches in the bridge are very narrow. If I step up in gauge, I'm very likely to have a problem. What did you successfully use?

Thanks.

20. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Second impressions:

- Surprising range of tones

- Extremely comfortable (I'm playing it Without the tubes, with a strap, and I expect to always play it that way)

- Gotta have strap locks with it, with the angle of the strap pins.

- Awesome neck

- If it had an adjustable bridge, I'd get a fretted version, and that would become my #1 bass when I gig.

- Knobs function and feel very good, but look cheap. The only visual spoiler I have found so far. If they are replaceable, they're out.

- Did I say how great the neck and fretboard feel? :)