1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

ART Tube MP help! :)

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Fearsomeshoe, Nov 29, 2010.

1. Fearsomeshoe

Fearsomeshoe

Nov 29, 2010
    Canada
    I'm currently playing in a band with a guitarist and a drummer. Now I've been playing without a DI into a Gigrac 1000st and a Yamaha CV112. This isnt the best setup in the world :p
    My vocalist and I have to share the mixer. It's clipped out on me a couple of times so I'm in the market for a cheap DI. I'm actually looking for a new rig but thats a whole different story and a whole lot of money.

So some guy is selling me a ART tube MP for 25$.

I know it's a mic pre amp but would it be suitable to play through with a bass?

Also, I'm buying an ibanez SB7 from him so would I be able to use that while using the ART MP as a DI?

On a separate note is the ART MP any good for recording guitar and bass?

Any help is MUCH appreciated seeing as I'm meeting this guy tomorrow :)

2. Ben Clarke

Ben Clarke Liquidating to fund a new business. Buy My Gear!

Jan 6, 2005
    Western NY
    Sure, they work fine, but-

1. They put out line level, either unbalanced or balanced, not balanced mic level like a DI.

2. The TubeMP Project Series has a much better instrument preamp.

3. Check prices on new ones. Musician's Friend usually has the Studio version for US$29. It's the same as the original MP but adds a VU meter. Check with L&M near you - it might b worth a few extra dollars to get a new one w/ warranty.

4. If recording is a priority, the USB version is handy.

3. Fearsomeshoe

Fearsomeshoe

Nov 29, 2010
    Canada
    I see. So what would the problem be if it's unbalanced?

And could I connect my MIDI to USB cable from the ART to my computer?

Thanks for replying by the way :)

4. Ben Clarke

Ben Clarke Liquidating to fund a new business. Buy My Gear!

Jan 6, 2005
    Western NY
    No problem as long as that jives with whatever you're plugging into. The big difference is that a DI will put out mic level, a much lower signal than the line level out of the MP.

I'm not sure what you mean. The USB version has a USB output that will send the converted digital signal to a computer, bypassing its sound cards and A/D converters. You'd use a standard USB cable, no MIDI.

No sweat! Good luck.

5. Samsound

Samsound

Sep 28, 2010
    MIDI carries no audio information. Only control data for synths or other hardware that responds to MIDI control.

I used the TubeMP Studio V3 on my bass for quite some time - got a lot of compliments on my sound.

6. I'm sure your desk has line-ins, just come out of the TubeMP into the line in of the desk, job done. For recording (if you get the usb version), As mentioned, usb out of Tube MP into usb in on computer.

7. dave_p

dave_p

Dec 20, 2005
    CT
    i have a tube mp studio
    for 25-30 bux its a handy little device. ive used it with basses and mics. sometimes with mics its a little noisy. the OPL output limiter does what it says, squashes the signal right down if you overload it, but doesnt sound nasty doing it.

for 25 bux just do it, endless uses for the little box.

8. phmike

phmike

Oct 25, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    I've used the ART TubeMP Studio ($30 Musician's Friend) with my bass for the past several years and love it. I rarely use effects (although that is changing some this past year) and my TubeMP and tuner are the only things that are _always_ between my bass and amp or mixer. I even bought a spare (ART, not tuner) just in case this ones dies but it has been reliable so far.