1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Artiphon Instrument 1 players? 24k Magic

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Bassbeater, Mar 2, 2018.

1. Bassbeater

Bassbeater Guest

Sep 9, 2001
    I play midi instruments, been gassing for a Seaboard RISE ROLI controller. This came up in search engine. Looks like good fun. Anyone play one yet?

2. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Banned

Owned one for months but it’s not all that it’s cracked up to be. It’s really not much like playing a guitar.

Bassbeater likes this.
  3. Bassbeater

Bassbeater Guest

Sep 9, 2001
    He's faking his "bass face" in the video probably.

4. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Banned

The problem I had with the Artiphon is that there isn't much more than the physical layout of the device that makes it similar to a guitar or bass. Plucking it was totally different, fingering notes was totally different, the 'frets' are actually all equally sized so that also messes with your hand/eye coordination. With the updates they keep adding, I'm sure many players are pleased with theirs, but you also have to put the time in to learn how to play it. For me, not having a use for it with a band, I did not have the time to put into learning it. Honestly, I'd be more likely to put the time into learning to play actual keys or something like the Roli boards.

Bassbeater likes this.
  5. Bassbeater

Bassbeater Guest

Sep 9, 2001
    I thought the alternate tuning mapping modes on the Artiphon looked interesting. The ergonomics look terrible to me.
    The fret division and grid setup on the Artiphon seems arbitrary to me when it can be programmed to "autotune" based on regions.

The Roli looks great for aftertouch. The continuous XY ribbon type interfaces that were coming out a few years back look promising too.

Anyway, thanks for sharing your experience with it!