1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

As fun as Sir Duke?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by 3bolt, May 11, 2010.

1. I learned that song in high school and performed it live with the school band (my first "gig" and tons of fun). In the years since then I sort of forgot about it. Every so often I get asked to play it or show someone how to play it...and by "play it", I mean play the slap/pop verse. It's become a staple among learning bassists, I guess because it really is a fairly simple, straightforward, octave-based slap line that sounds freakin' awesome.
    But the point is that I had forgotten about the rest of the song. After reading your post, I flashed back to being 17 years old and playing it in front of all the students, faculty and families from my high school. I went to my room, threw One Hot Minute in the stereo and rocked out to it again for the first time in about 7 years. So....thanks for the memories dude! That is indeed one EXTREMELY fun song to play.

And to contribute something new to the thread, here are some favorites of mine:
    Jaco Pastorius: The Chicken
    Chili Peppers: Show Me Your Soul -- It's a lesser-known song from their early days, but it absolutely OOZES funk. Check it out here, classic RHCP music video

2. Broadbent

Broadbent

Mar 28, 2007
    Well this is one of those songs Ive always wanted to learnd and this thread inspired me to do it. Man is that unison line in the middle a doosey! But it's a lot of fun to play along with this one now

3. 3bolt

3bolt

May 11, 2010
    Thanks for all the good suggesstions in here. I'm gonna dig into these tunes and see what sticks.

4. JPaulGeddy

JPaulGeddy

Sep 19, 2007
    South Carolina
    Great great list going so far. I'll throw in Josie from Steely Dan, too. And pretty much anything by Larry Graham, but specifically Thank You. Oh, and Jungle Boogie by Kool & the Gang.

5. synaesthesia

synaesthesia

Apr 13, 2004
    UK
    I imagine you are talking about the unison lines in Sir Duke. My wife's phone rings on that line, and my phone rings on the riff in Chick Corea's Spain. Love those licks.

6. Thunderthumbs73

Thunderthumbs73

May 5, 2008
    Almost anything from Level 42.

7. Cheesy song, but an amazing bass part in the verses: You're the one that I want.

Yes, the Grease-song....:eek:

Also, it's one of those rare songs that even casual listeners will recognize only by the bassline.

8. Dellers

Dellers

Nov 7, 2006
    Norway
    Brothers Johnson - Ride-O-Rocket
    George Duke - Everyday Hero
    Jeffrey Osborne - Ready For Your Love
    Maceo Parker (or Sly & The Family Stone) - Sing A Simple Song
    Michael Jackson - Get On The Floor
    As mentioned before, Do I Do by Stevie Wonder...Fantastic song to play
    Backyard Party/Shakin' The Ground - Ole Børud
    Anything by Pleasure
    Stank - Sofian
    Deliver Me - Robert Randolph & The Family Band
    Let's Get Retarded - The Black Eyed Peas
    Canned Heat/(Don't) Give Hate A Chance/Travelling Without Moving - Jamiroquai

9. I'm trying to picture this in my mind, and I can't...a little help? Are you in the original key?

My memory of the chorus changes are:

| B | Fm7b5 | E | C#m F# |

Anyway, great tune - not to take away from the tone of the thread...just curious.

That unison line - man I wish it only took me 20 minutes. I spent hours back in the day trying to get the phrasing just right.

10. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I like Glide by Pleasure and the Herbie Hancock/Paul Jackson version of Watermelon Man. Tom Sawyer by Rush is cool too.

11. SH69

SH69

Jan 7, 2010
    I want you back - Jackson 5

12. I find "Let's Hang On!" and "Opus 17 (Don't You Worry 'Bout Me)" by the Four Seasons very fun to play... Especially "Opus 17" with all the key changes... I never mastered playing either one though and haven't tried playing them in ages; I'd have to re-learn them...

13. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

Sir Duke and I Wish are two of my favorites! I'm still working on the crazy vibrato fills in I Wish, but it's fun regardless.

Other cool ones I've been gigging lately:

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Aeroplane, Californication, Other Side
    Tower of Power - Soul with a Capital 'S', Little Bit of Knowledge, You're Still a Young Man
    Metallica - Wherever I May Roam
    Led Zeppelin - Good Times Bad Times, Ramble On
    Rush - Spirit of Radio, Tom Sawyer
    Delbert McClinton - Givin' it Up for Your Love
    Journey - Stone in Love, Don't Stop Believin'
    Bon Jovi - Livin' on a Prayer

14. 3bolt

3bolt

May 11, 2010
    I meant the actual 3 notes I play over the Fm7b5 bar. (I hear F , G#, C (G#))... I didn't mean the changes. You have them correct. But thanks for clarifying. That might have been confusing. :)

15. Thank You for Funkin Up My Life by Donald Byrd is one of my favourite fun basslines. Fairly simple slap line but has definitely been bitten by the groove shark.

16. floundah

floundah

Feb 11, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Burning Love by Elvis is one of my favorites.

17. halfjackson

halfjackson

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston, MA
    Awesome thread.

*Maceo Parker: "Shake Everything You Got", "Soul Power"
    *Any version: "The Chicken"
    *Jaco: "Come on Come Over"
    *Earth Wind & Fire: "Shining Star"
    *Gil Scott Heron: "Gun"
    *Stevie Wonder: "Boogie on Reggae Women", all others mentioned in this thread
    *Bill Withers: "Lovely Day"
    *Robert Palmer: "Sneakin' Sally Through the Alley"

18. bass12

bass12 Say "Ahhh"... Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    "Ascension" by Maxwell has a great feel to it.

"One On One" by Rare Essence - a little known gem that grooves for days (and features the same bassist - Mike Neal - who played on some of the tracks from Maxwell's Urban Hang Suite album).

+1 on the Level 42. Try "The Sun Goes Down (Living It Up)" or "I Sleep On My Heart", or...

"Bikutsi Funk" by Les Têtes Brulées (try it - you might like it).

19. Starky

Starky

Apr 20, 2010
    Potomac MD
    +1

The Chicken is fantastic.
    We play it in Jazz Band.
    :DDD

20. FilterFunk

FilterFunk Everything is on the ONE! Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2010
    "Express Yourself" - Charles Wright and the Watts 103rd Street Rhythm Band

"Peanut Butter" - Twennynine feat. Lenny White

These are fairly obscure, but they come from George Clinton's P-Funk stable, late '70s:
    "Party Up In Here" and "Never Buy Texas From A Cowboy" - The Brides of Funkenstein