1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

ASAT neck vs L2000 neck vs JB-2 neck

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by justbass4, Apr 26, 2009.

1. justbass4

justbass4

Apr 26, 2009
    I've played a L2000 before (a tribute) so I know what they play like but I've never played an ASAT before--that is what I really want by the way, an ASAT--or a JB 2. Incidentally, I can't believe so many prefer a sting ray over a G&L; I owned a stingray--cool looking bass; not that great of a tone.

My question is this: what is the difference between an ASAt and L2000 neck, if any. I'm assuming there must be a difference in the necks; else, why make it? The two guitars are electronically identical. I'm hoping the ASAT has a smaller neck or "faster," as they say; I have small hands.

Lastly, is the JB 2 about the same, neck-wise, as a fender jazz? Or is it bigger. I ask because I've noticed a tendency in G&L's to be on the "tank-ish" side. But they really do sound good. Just curious.

Ultimately I want an ASAT; I think it's the coolest looking bass ever made--and I've been around the block (bass-wise that is) so I don't just say that--with the best sound. The guy from hot water music turned me on to them because I liked his bass sound in Flight And A Crash.

Don't get me wrong; fender, especially squire, is making some nice basses. I might have to put off getting the asat and get their vintage modified jazz bass, the one with the black inlays. Warwick makes a really nice bass too--the thumb--comparable to fedora in sound but not in price; I've never played either though so, to that, I could not attest to the merits of either.

2. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    The ASAT and JB-2 both come stock with G&L's #8 neck, which has a Jazz nut width of 1.5", but a relatively flat fretboard radius of 12". The L-2000 has a beefier 1.75" nut width, and a chunkier rear profile, but also has a 12" radius.

I have two G&L basses with the #8, and it's similar to a Jazz bass, but with a deeper rear profile, so it's a little more chunky. And the 12" radius is different from the typical Jazz also.

Keep in mind you can special order U.S. G&L basses with any neck they offer. These are either 1.5" or 1.75" nut width, and either 7.5" or 12" fretboard radius. So the closest to a vintage Jazz bass is the #6, with the 1.5" nut and 7.5" radius.

3. Good to see another Hot Water Music fan on the board!

Sorry I don't really have any experience with these, but looks like justbass4 got it mostly covered. All I know is that the ASAT totally looks killer!

4. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    What he said. I ordered the number 8 neck on my L2000 and it is my favorite profile. As stated it's a jazz neck but slightly thicker front to back. That little bit makes a significant difference for me when playing extended periods of time.

5. But the bodies are a "little" different...

I have a #6 neck on my L-2000.

normal_glbody.

normal_glhead.

6. Horny Toad

Horny Toad Guest

Mar 4, 2005
    NJ

Just to throw some fuel on the fire, here's my old ASAT:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]