1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

ASAT not working for me

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by skidmarkbass, Jan 8, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Last year I traded a 5 string American Standard Jazz for a beautiful G&L ASAT. It is beautiful, but I just can't get it to sound right for ME. Years ago, I had a G&L tribute with the same pickups, sounded great on its own but I could not get it to sound right in a band situation. All my other basses do the job just fine P bass, Jazz, Warmoth. I have a G&l SB1 that sounds awesome, maybe the ASAT is just not for me.

2. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    ASAT tone was never a problem for me. I go passive, everything full bore, both pickups for a tighter focused tone, and front pickup for a broader fuller tone.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  3. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth

Jan 2, 2015
    heart of darkness
    I find the ASAT to be very versatile. The only drawback is that there's no blending. The pickups are either on or off. Ultimately I would rather have a V/V/T configuration, but otherwise I love my ASAT.

IMG_20151224_172006-TB.

SirMjac28 and spaz21387 like this.
  4. TDR1138

TDR1138

Apr 11, 2007
    Section 204
    I struggle to like Jazz basses. They're beautiful, and I keep trying them, and I'm continually frustrated by how I can't get them to sound how I want... And I pick up my G&Ls and get that sound pretty easily.

Point is, they're nice basses. Just might not be what you're looking for.

That said, there are a lot of tones available with G&Ls. Turn it down. There's a lot of power in the pickups. Start with everything around '6' and go from there. Is there something specific that you feel is missing?

5. I think i'm going to put it up for sale, it's a very pretty transparent aqua blue.

6. I have tried all kinds of setting both on the bass and the amp.

7. SpazzTheBassist

SpazzTheBassist

Jun 20, 2006
    I try to get ALL my basses to sound in the ballpark of my ASAT :D

Both Pickups dimed in Parallel -- slap bass,fingers, or tapping -- use this setting mostly: like a J-Bass with StingRay-ish qualities
    mid Pickup soloed in Series -- P-bass facsimile, used as needed
    bridge PU soloed in Parallel/highs rolled down - used for "faux fretless" technique and for finger-style soloing
    mid Pickup soloed in parallel --- used for "faux upright" technique

It truly is my most versatile instrument...theres a track in my MySpace link below called "Cosmic Pizza": all of the bass parts are done on my ASAT utilizing three different settings (and theres a pic of my ASAT there, too :D)

Last edited: Jan 8, 2016
  8. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Kentucky
    Definitely try playing with the switches while the knobs are at 50-60%. Those tone controls are cut ONLY, so everything above zero is boost. I usually play mine passive these days in series, both pickups or just neck pickup.

9. Mvilmany

Mvilmany

Mar 13, 2013
    Upstate NY
    You nailed it. That is a great description of what you can do with a 2 pickup G&L. I have an L2000

10. SpazzTheBassist

SpazzTheBassist

Jun 20, 2006
    and we both know the four I listed are just scratching the surface: theres so much in-between with it that --- between a player using various techniques and the G&L system itself --- the tonal/voicing possibilities are almost endless with the ASAT/L2K Pickup configurations....I am hoping that the "M"-series still retains this kind of flexibility

11. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    I struggled until I mid-pointed both bass and treble controls and the set the eq on the amp to dead mid.......worked from there made it a lot easier.

12. twinjet

twinjet What does God need with a starship?

Sep 23, 2008
    Seeing how the control schematics for ASAT and L-2000 are the same, what are the tonal differences between the two? I bought a sexy L-2000 that just won't quit! ;)

13. SpazzTheBassist

SpazzTheBassist

Jun 20, 2006
    really, nothing...Maybe its the body shape or density or something alien but ASATs always seem to be a smidge brighter than L2Ks but thats about it

14. twinjet

twinjet What does God need with a starship?

Sep 23, 2008
    Wow! And the L-2000 is already plenty hot.

SpazzTheBassist likes this.
  15. Thanks for suggestions I will give it another try. I was also thinking that the pickup polls might need adjustment, they all seem to be the same height.

16. mel0dic.bassist

mel0dic.bassist

Jul 9, 2014
    Canada
    You're not alone brother, I had a Tribute L2000, and while it was an utterly fantastic sounding and playing instrument, I just couldn't get a tone from it that worked for my playing style.

I don't play in a band, so no experience there..

I'm also pretty confident that single coils are the sound that I'm after. I used to have an Affinity Jazz years ago, but gave it to a friend going through rough times.. it sounded great (even for an affinity).

Likewise, my Dano's lipstick singles just sound amazing and I can go from deep/round/vintage vibe all the way to a modern aggressive clank.

Pretty sure my next bass is gonna be a Jazz.

17. bdgotoh

bdgotoh Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2002
    Pacific NW
    G&Ls can be wired for single coil, might be just what you need.

I adjust the polepieces to balance the volume of each string but I've read that some people have raised up the poles on one coil in each pickup to get a more single coil tone, you might try that. I've also seen mention of people slanting their pickups so one coil is closer to the strings for the same effect.

You might also try raising and lowering the pickups significantly to affect the tone. I prefer mine up fairly close to the strings but I know people who hate that and they remove the pads under the pickups and screw them way down into the body to get the tone they want.

18. mel0dic.bassist

mel0dic.bassist

Jul 9, 2014
    Canada
    Haha, I'd love to try that out if I still owned it, it'd be worth a try at least. I read up a bit about coil tapping and whatnot, but didn't want to bother honestly. It was too nice of a bass for me to start modifying it. I needed a new acoustic anyways ;)

19. Lo-E

Lo-E

Dec 19, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    I found I had a much easier time with my L2000s (same electronics as your ASAT) when I got to know the bass cut knob better. For me, anyway, that's the most critical control on those basses. Those MFD pickups can get really boomy and hard to control in the mix, but the bass cut is like having instant boom-away! Just my experience, of course!

I also have my L2Ks wired up with a single-coil setting but, honestly, I don't use it as much as I thought I would. Maybe only 25% of the time. It does add clarity, though.

20. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Im a big G&L fan and love my L2500 but its like any other bass out there...it might not work for you and thats ok.

Doctor J likes this.