Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ashdown 300 Mag Head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by F*#$NA4, Jun 30, 2004.

1. F*#$NA4

F*#$NA4

Jul 11, 2003
    Chicago
    Hello,
    The price of this amp sparked my interest in it, I have two main questions, if any of you would be kind enough to answer them, it would be greatly appreciated.

1. On the manu. web site, all it says is that has a 307 watt power section, but I am assuming that is at 4 ohms, Unless I am missing it, how much is it rated at, at 8 ohms?

2. Is the xlr out clean?

MUCH THANKS

2. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    The mag 300 head is rated at 307 watts at 4 ohms. So if you plug a 8 ohm cab into it you'll get about 150-200 watts outta the head. Generally if you have a 4 ohm head and plug a 8 ohm cab into it you'll get half of the amount of watts the head produces at 4 ohms.

3. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Yea, the 307 watts is a t 4 ohms. At 8 ohms your probably looking at about 178-185 watts. I have only tried the amps in the store so I haven't gotten to try the DI out.

4. F*#$NA4

F*#$NA4

Jul 11, 2003
    Chicago
    Thanks a lot, yea I figured it was something like that. Too bad the next level Ashdown is 300% more money, I really like the features on that amp. I was planning on getting that head and a matching 4 10 ashdown mag cab, but maybe I should buy a Avatar 4 ohm cab. Who knows. I hate gear.

5. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    If you buy the MAG 300 and their 410 cab it should be plenty loud even with only 175 +/- watts. When I first started playing I ran two 18s off a Hartke 2000 head. Thats was only 100 watts into each 18 and it was pretty loud. I admit I upgraded to the 3500 as soon as I started to gig. That pushed me up to 175 to each and it was a huge improvement. Just run two cabs to get all your watts. Besides, a full stack looks really nice on stage!