1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ashdown Amps - Anyone Using them here?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by SlappinSimon, Aug 13, 2007.

1. I am looking at getting an Ashdown Amp, either the MAG300, MAG 600 or the AMB500.
    I am playing Double bass with Gut Strings and doing Rock'n'Roll / Rockabilly and Jazz Gigs. I'd be interested in any thoughts, and if you are using it what do you think, what are you playing (Double Bass or Elec Bass), Style of music and Cab used.
    Thanks for any input.

2. I've used an ABM400 head for the past 9 years without any problems. Apart from periodically vacumning the internals myself I have had it serviced by Ashdown only once. They replaced a couple of the graphic sliders and one of the jack sockets, but that was more precautionary work than anything.

I currently run it through an SWR Goliath III using both passive and active bass guitars. I have no experience of playing an upright through it.

I play mainly soul & funk but have gigged in jazz & rock bands with it. It sounds great in any of those situations.

3. louieeadg

louieeadg uncle petey?

Jun 13, 2007
    outer banks, nc
    Well, I play electric. And I'm using their 4x10 combo, MAG410 or something like that....so no exp. with just heads or cabs with them. But I love it, great tones and they're reliable. Everyone I've talked to about Ashdown hasn't had anything bad to say...for what its worth.

cheers

edit: forgot to add the music I play...its a kind of jazzy/r&bish/funk thing...or something along those lines.

4. bolo

bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
    There is another TB forum where you might could post this too, over here.

I wouldn't move it out of this forum though. I think this is a case where it might be legit to post the same thing in two places.

5. bnutz

bnutz

Mar 27, 2007
    Los Angeles
    I've got an ABM EVOII 500 and ABM 410 cab and love it for EB. I've used it for UB, but am not totally nuts about it. However some of that may just be my own personal preference.

The few times I've used it for my UB gigs, it found it to color my tone too much. Even with the grind all the way off, it still sounded like a ballsy EB rig, which depending on your taste could be really cool. This is also a really warm sounding rig, which again, is great for EB, but seemed to translate to boominess when I ran the UB through it. I had to really play with the eq to dial out low frequency feedback.

The eq section is one plus for using this amp, though- it's really powerful. The EVO II gives you Bass, Mid & Treble pots as well as sliders at 180, 340, 1.3K & 2.6K Hz.

Great amp, but not my first choice for UB.
    -b

6. Of course there are Ashdown users here. I use a MK500 with 2 410T cabs.

This setup would not be good for double bass.
    So, I recommend the ABM EVO II since it will give you that fat warm tone for Rockabilly etc. Or the new Klystron 500

Stay away from the MAG300. I can personally say they are garbage. I went through 2. First one sounded like dirty butt and the second sounded like dirty butt and went POOOF! (smoke)

The MAG Cabs are ok.
    I would do a MAG 2x10 and 1x15 for your style or if you want to spend more the ABM cabs or NEO cabs (8x10).

Now that I think of it the new Klystron 500 and the Neo 8x10 cab would be perfect. Most rocka/psychobilly bassist I see use Ampegs. My buddies psychobilly bands bassist uses and Ampeg SVT and 8x10 cab.

7. clothsnake

clothsnake

Apr 3, 2004
    i have a MAG300 head through a peavey 4*10, and its fine for electric... i would say more than fine, but i don't put my double through it. far too meaty, and can manipulate the sound of the double way too much (even flat). this is strictly an electric bass amp for me. :bassist:
    i play a kinda funky style on electric (with a 'smile' on my eq) and this amp and cab deals with slaps and pops really well. :smug:

my double bass now goes through a GK backline 112, and this is a good amp for me... small and loud enough etc. it also just adds to the voice of the bass rather than amplifying it to death which is easily possible with a bigger rig. :scowl:

so yes... i have an ashdown... and no... i don't use it for double. :D

8. Ruuumble

Ruuumble

May 8, 2011
    I wonder if there is anyone out there willing of interested in a refresh on this thread? I have a GK1001rb and am looking for a cab for it. Ashdown has a good rep overall and one cab I came across was the mag 410t for $300! Seems like a really good deal. Especially considering I'd get a quality 410 for the price of GK 210. I strictly play upright only - '59 Kay w plain guts doing rockabilly, country, blues, psychobilly. Any feedback at all is welcome, or alternate suggestions
    Thanks in advance

9. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    I had one for a while. Very good quality amps, loved it with BG, was okay with db, but not really voiced right. Maybe with the right pre-amp and pickup combination it would be better. As good as they are, though, there are certainly better voiced systems for db.

10. Ruuumble

Ruuumble

May 8, 2011
    Thanks TroyK-
    Appreciate that - that seems to be the consensus as well- great bg stuff ehhh on DB - sometimes GAS sees a bargain then, as you say - your looking for pickups etc !! Lol

11. dukeorock

dukeorock Owner BNA Audio Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 8, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    Authorized greenboy designs builder/Owner of BNA Audio
    For about 3 years, I toured with an ABM 500/410 combo, sitting on top of an ABM 410 extension cab...pretty awesome rig for loud upright gigs most nights. I have switched endorsements and prefer what I'm currently running, but still have the combo and it's a stellar little amp for sure.

12. I've had the MAG300 head for 3-4 years, pretty damn reliable amp. Never had any problems.

I would get F-deck's HPF pre-amp though. This amp in particular does color the sound and it COULD be difficult for you to fight if you don't have this pre-amp.

13. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    I'm pretty sure this was the head I had too and I agree, complely reliable, great scale, I felt really good about it, but didn't use a preamp and it always sounded like an Ashdown rather than my bass. I heard someone at a local club with one years later and thought "yep, that's what they sound like alright." Not what I'm going for on db, maybe the preamp would have helped, but I wasn't doing that back then.

BG is a different story, love the tone of all the Ashdown amps I tried with it, but I have an average of 1 BG gig a year, so....

14. deonk2000

deonk2000

Nov 8, 2011
    I have the Mag 300 4 x 10 combo and an Electric Blue 180-12, both transformers blown, one out of warranty. Managed to repair the other myself after importing the upgraded transformer.

Ok for EB, not recommended for UB, way too boomy and tonal colouration.

My Peavey minx 110 does a better job for the UB.
    Switched to Bose Compact for the UB - really impressive.

15. I Have a Abm 500 EVO II and a ABM 410 T Cab. It has seen hell over the near 2 years I have it and it is just simply great