1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ashdown and GK rig combo?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by anthowl, Oct 3, 2009.

1. thinking of swapping out the Ashdown 410 cab that i got with my
    ABM EVOIII rig to something with a tighter and more focussed low end.
    also i'm a kinda small chap so while on this i figured i'd try and go more mobile.

i tried a GK neo 410 today in store.
    i know GK has a reputation for very clean and often bright sounds. this i liked. it gave the tube in the Ashdown a really nice sizzle but kept warm and i found i was able to turn up the bass nob on my amp more than i usually do and keep things sounding tight.

so, it's ligter, sounds good and has casters on it.
    the question is, do i swap it out or to i attempt to put damping in my Ashdown cab and add casters to it?

2. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    I just got a couple GK Neo cabs - kind of a blind experiment. So far, they're really decent. Haven't had them long enough to really love or hate them - but they are definitely not junk.

I don't see "bright" as a negative. Expecially when the cab has a pad for the tweeter and the amp has a treble knob.

If a cabinet is not "clean," it probably means a blown speaker. So, in my book, clean is good too.

3. yeah, this is true. the tweeter knob was another selling point as the Ashdown cab only has an 'Off/High/Low' switch.