1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ashdown CTM-30 “Little Stubby”

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassGreaser, Feb 10, 2019.

1. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    F8F72D17-5AD1-4E22-B89D-6B527C9FE720.

Has anyone played one of these yet?

I’m thinking of buying one later this year to match up with one or two Jack12 cabs and a passive 5 string running NS BB J’s and flats.

2. I feel that Ashdown's problem is promotion. I'm fairly certain they make good stuff, and this is a good competitor to ampeg's PF tube heads, but I just heard about it now.

BrentSimons and BassGreaser like this.
  3. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    I’m also curious!

Looks really different to most all-tube heads...

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  4. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Yes agreed it is a competitor to the PF heads. I’ve owned a Bassman 135 and Ashdown LB30 and loved their tone stacks.

I’ve also owned an amped B25B which I loved as well.

What I really like about this Little Stubby is the design layout and how small it is.

I would jump on the PF50T but the fact that it doesn’t have any handles and knowing tube heads being hot after say a three hour show or a one hour long set with a quick unload time (aka not enough time to get the amp to cool before packing it away).. putting my hands on a hot amp without a handle isn’t desirable.

5. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    019DACCC-8032-41DA-82F3-20AAEBCD564F.

Hell that handle alone may have sold me!

6. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    Much more in the vein of the aguilar DB359 and rackmount style amps like that, though given the lower output the size should be a lot smaller/easier to manage.

knumbskull and BassGreaser like this.
  7. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Mmmm, delicious!

BassGreaser likes this.
  8. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    If that is all tube, I hope it has a fan! It was announced a year ago, did it ever actually ship outside the UK?

I like the earlier Little B****** which a bandmate has in his rehearsal space. Has that 60s sound, which for me is fun once in a while but not all the time.

BassGreaser likes this.
  9. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    It is all tube (has four EL84s) can be ordered straight from Ashdown and shipped to the US. As for the vintage sound.. lucky it’s exactly what I’m going for tone wise with this setup.drool

Dasgre0g likes this.
  10. Haroldo

Haroldo Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2005
    North Shore, MA
    If and when you purchase it, and it arrives, please review it for us. I'm very interested in this as well. Thanks.

BassGreaser likes this.
  11. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I might not be able to wait until later this year.. so a review may be sooner than later.

12. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen Commercial User

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    Why?

13. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    They assume it needs one for cooling purposes.

14. In a tiny head case like that I'd imagine overheating would be a concern, can't imagine you'd need more than to just have some grilles above and below the tubes - which it looks like it's got.

15. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    96AA5884-4725-47A1-9A1A-B97D1EDD7269.
    It’s got a fan.

pie_man_25 likes this.
  16. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    What I find weird is it isn’t for sale anywhere in the US...

17. BassGH

BassGH

Sep 13, 2015
    Seattle
    I haven’t had that problem with the pf50t. The tube cage heats up for sure but I’ve picked up to run after practices and shows and it’s cool at the edges where you pick it up. The right bag for it matters, which I’ve located.

wintremute and BassGreaser like this.
  18. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    That’s really good to hear. I’m waiting to hear back from Ashdown on if they make the Little Stubby to run over here in the US.

If not I’ll be going for the PF50T in a heart beat!

19. BassGH

BassGH

Sep 13, 2015
    Seattle
    Sorry to hijack the OPs post—the bag I like is a dewalt tool bag with the right base dimensions. Very stout, though not featherweight.

BassGreaser likes this.
  20. PaulCISSA

PaulCISSA It don't mean a thing if you ain't got that swing. Supporting Member

Jul 10, 2014
    Vernon, New Jersey
    I emailed Ashdown a couple days before NAMM with the same Q and had a response in a day, but it was a "Lemme get back to you on that..." response which is to say, no response at all.