Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ashdown EB-180

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jumpingbob, Sep 10, 2004.

1. jumpingbob

jumpingbob

Jan 10, 2004
    Louisville, KY
    Anyone have or has played the Ashdown EB-180 15"? It looks like it meets all my critea for an amp and is on sale for 299$. Unfortunately no where around here sells them so I cant test one, any opinions would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
    Ben

2. Mel Monihan

Mel Monihan

Mar 30, 2004
    I had one for a short while.I bought it online for 299 with free shipping, probably the same place you are looking.The amp looks just like the Brittish made model EB150-15, but it is made in China.I found it sounded alot like the Brittish model, and looked just like it, but for some reason it seemed to weigh more (maybe that was just me).I found that the subharmonizer effect that is built in the amp would cut in and out every once in a while for no reason (again, maybe me).The amp had enough power for a small gig, but it clipped when I pushed it a little too hard.I didn't like the sound as much as my Thunderfunk so I got rid of it.In all fairness, the Thunderfunk is 3x as much money.For home practice, or small gigs though ,it will suffice.The amp had a pretty wide tonal range and could get a decent tube sound.I didn't have it long enough to tell you about reliability though.Good luck.

3. jumpingbob

jumpingbob

Jan 10, 2004
    Louisville, KY
    It seems the best choice in my price range regardless for combos, however Im not totally opposed to getting a head for its long-term versatility. A MAG300 head is the same price and im sure its alot better. I dont have a cab right now or the money for one, however I have kind of 'all-purposes' 2x10's box at home that would work (with not that high of sound quality) until I could get one. Would this be a better choice?

Thanks,
    Ben

4. Mel Monihan

Mel Monihan

Mar 30, 2004
    I didn't mean to beat up on the Ashdown, I liked it well enough to buy one.The amp does have a line out, so you can run it into your PA for larger gigs, and it does sound very good for a $300 dollar amp.Actually ,it sounds just like the brittish model that was a $600 dollar amp.I was comparing apples and oranges, and that was my fault.I think you would be very happy with the ashdown.For the money, I don't think you can touch it.The amp has alot of neat features also, so you can get alot of different sounds from it.The rig it chose over it was the Thunderfunk and a DR. BASSCABS 115.Together, you could buy 4 of the ashdowns, so I really should not have discouraged you by the comparison.When I sold the ashdown, I got 275 dollars for it, so even if you don't like it, you can get most of your money back, so give it a try.