1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ashdown Little Bastard - Popping/Cutting Out

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by GrooverMcTube, Sep 13, 2014.

1. I'm hoping one of the TB bass gurus can point me in the right direction.

I have an Ashdown Little Bastard, about 1 year old. Great little amp, except that shortly after getting it it would pop and then cut out while it was warming up. After it warmed up (~5 min), there was no problem. I e-mailed Ashdown customer service about it, but got no reply. (Can't say I'm at all impressed with their customer service at this point...)

Anyway, the cutting out has gotten progressively worse, now happening even after amp is fully warmed up. I'm not pushing the amp at all (practice volume only). I tried plugging into the effects return, but get the same popping/cutting out. Here is an excerpt from a Tom Bowlus (Bass Gear mag) review:

"One 12AX7 (ECC83) drives the series effects loop with one valve stage, and drives the passive (and interactive) tone controls with the other stage. A second 12AX7 drives the output section, and phase splitting is handled by a fully floating selfbalancing paraphrase inverter based around a 12AT7 (ECC82). The DI is taken from a balanced winding on the output transformer, and as such, it is decidedly “post EQ.”

So, based on my extremely limited knowledge about tube amps, it looks like it is pointing to one of the power tubes ( 4 x EL84)? Should I try the tapping with a wooden stick (the power tubes are fairly accessible)? Or am I completely misguided?

Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions!

EDIT: I called it an Ampeg in the title. Wishful thinking I guess.

2. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

Try connecting the FX Send and Return with a signal cable. If your problem disappears the normalizing switches on the jacks have become corroded and need to be cleaned.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    I'd do the stick test as well as the loop test. Sounds like a tube to me.

4. Daniel109

Daniel109

Jun 10, 2014
    New Zealand
    I Just got a new Little bastard and am having a similar problem. when I play occasionally it drops in volume a bit, then goes back to normal. I'm using the high gain input, haven't really noticed anything in the low input (mainly because I haven't used it much)
    also seems to happen with the bright switch on, but not sure if that's a coincidence or not.

How would one go about getting the jacks cleaned?

the low Input is also harder to plug a lead into, if that makes any difference.
    it was the floor model in the store i bought it from so its probably had a bit of use

5. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Jacks cleaned? Spray contact cleaner into them, or take a cable and pull the plug in and out of the jack several times quickly and rotate it in the jack. Personally, I think it is likely a tube, but I always do this before I check tubes because it's cheaper ;)

Daniel109 likes this.
  6. Daniel109

Daniel109

Jun 10, 2014
    New Zealand
    I did the pulling the jack in and out thing and wiggled the bright switch on and off a bit and it seems to have solved the problem, although I can't be 100% sure. it usually started doing it after about 2 minutes of playing but it was fine this time.

Thanks

7. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Well that's good! It's a common problem with loop jacks so if it holds up after a couple more days, you probably fixed it.

8. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

If it was the loop you can connect a short signal cable, like the ones for pedal boards, into the loop and just leave it there.

9. Daniel109

Daniel109

Jun 10, 2014
    New Zealand
    It seems to be doing it again. I have an instrument cable between the send and return jacks. what else could it be?

10. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Bad tube. Seems a little early to have bad caps, could possibly be a cold or loose solder somewhere, but more than likely a bad tube.

11. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

Daniel, how long have you owned the amp? If it's still under warranty return it and let them sort it out.

12. Daniel109

Daniel109

Jun 10, 2014
    New Zealand
    I got it last week, however the store i bought it from is about a 3 hour drive away (i also don't have a car), so returning it isn't that easy. also if it is just a bad tube then I'm pretty sure the warranty doesn't cover things like that.

If I do replace the power tubes, do I need to replace all of them, or just the ones that are bad. Also would I need a matched pair or matched quad, or can I get single tubes?

I tried pluging into the return jack and it still does it, so does that mean its likely the power tubes?

Last edited: Sep 27, 2014
  13. Ended up taking mine to an amp guy. He wrote (on the ticket) "burned cathode resistor, tested tubes: 1 pre-amp tube microphonic (moved to 2nd position)".

He said swapping the position of the 12AX7's put the microphonic tube in a place along the signal chain where it didn't need to work as hard. I took him at face value since I'm pretty clueless about such things. Seems to have cleared up the issue. I think the amp breaks up at lower volume than it used to, which is great if you like a bit of growl.

14. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

I don't think I have seen a manufacturer that didn't cover tubes for at least 90 days. If you just paid for a new amp WHY would spend more on new tubes? With a 3 hour drive call the store about a warranty replacement unit. UPS, FedEx and USPS have "will call" tags to pick up the reboxed unit at no cost to you.

rodl2005 likes this.
  15. Bob-I

Bob-I

Sep 12, 2014
    A burned cathode resistor on a brand new amp is very unusual. It sounds like it was a manufacturing defect. I wouldn't worry about the tube, all tubes are somewhat microphonic so putting in a position where it will push less gain is a good idea.

16. I have a bad 12ax7 tube in V5 of my SVP-PRO. The tube sounds GREAT but there is a loud (really LOUD) POP! during every warmup.

17. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen Commercial User

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    I'd be replacing the microphonic valve, its indicative of it misbehaving in general and possibly what did the damage elsewhere. Although moving it its the cheap fix option.

18. Daniel109

Daniel109

Jun 10, 2014
    New Zealand
    I emailed the store I bought it from and are waiting a reply

19. Daniel109

Daniel109

Jun 10, 2014
    New Zealand
    also. when i bought the amp the salesman looked it up and there were only 2 more UK made LB-30s in the country.

20. moles

moles

Jan 24, 2007
    Winnipeg, MB
    Just make sure you get the right tubes, if you're replacing them. They're actually split ECC83/82. (12AX7/12AT7) Two tubes performing four functions.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 18, 2021