Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ashdown Mag 300 question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jazzin', Apr 3, 2005.

1. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Does anybody know whether this amp is able to power two cabs in parallel? I don't have that much knowldge with cabs and amps. I would like an answer from someone who owns/owned an Ashdown Mag 300. I think the back of the Mag only has one 1/4" output and one speakon output. Can somebody also explain to me how cabs are connected to amps in parallel? Does it mean that you need 2 outputs on the back of the amp, where one goes to each cab?

2. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Mine has two 1/4" speaker-outs and handles two 8 Ohm cabs very nicely indeed for a full 307 watts at 4 Ohms... I can also daisy-chain them to each other and use a single output... Same thing. Honestly though, the amp is pretty darned loud with 1 8 Ohm cab pushing about 180 watts...

-robert

3. What about running a 8ohm 4x whatever cabinet? Still unclear, if you run a say a 2x10 8ohm you end up with a net impendence of 4ohm correct? So by that reasoning, you'd end up with a net impedence of 2ohms, with the 4x whatever? I asked the guy I deal with at GC about it, he said no, but I'm still unclear on this subject. :help:

4. Jazzin'

Well what do you mean when you say 2x10 8ohm? Do you mean each speaker is 8ohms or is the cab 8ohms? Because if you mix two cabs of 8ohms each in parallel, you get 4ohms.

5. I mean a single cabinet with 2 10" speakers that is rated at a total of 8ohms. Forgive me if I'm asking a so-called "dumb question" but I'm sort of new to all of this kind of thing. Most I've dealt with small practice combos up till now, so I realy haven't worried about it.

6. Jazzin'

If you have a 2x10 and a 4x? each at 8ohms, you will get 4ohms.

7. :confused: Everything you ever wanted to know about ohms is right here:

Ohms FAQ

:D And just for a little silliness on the subject:

What's an ohm?

8. Jazzin'

Does anybody know of a good online store where i can buy the Ashdown Mag 300H? Sofar, all I know of is Music123, that has Ashdown and ships to Canada, but I want to compare prices with other stores online.

9. Jazzin'

Are all Ashdown Mag300s like that? How old is yours?

10. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    www.avatarspeakers.com has the Mag 300H for $278- which is a steal. Shipping is only $15 or so as well, so you get a kickin' amp for under $300. I saw several used Mag 30's go for almost as much on ebay, but with much higher shipping charges, and thus about the same price. I couldn't find a better price anywhere. Mine should come any day now.. :hyper:

11. Jazzin'

Problem is that I live in Canada, so I'm going to have to buy from Music123. It's slight more expensive there. (299.99$) But do you, or anybody know if this amp can do 2 8ohm cabs at the same time? Or can it only output to one cab?

12. Yeah, I did some research on here before asking a question. I still was a little confused, so thats why I asked. I wanted to be sure, so that I didn't go out and buy a head and run it with cabinet that wouldn't have enough impedance.
    Thanks for helping me with my dumb question Jazzin. :hyper:

13. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I don't know about all, but mine is an ebay purchase from a warehouse damaged 115T combo and is exactly like this one... I'd guess less than a year old. Again, I can't recommend this enough... Great sound, plenty of oomph... Music123 or American Musical Supply have 'em at about the same price... great deal IMO...

-robert

14. Particle Man

Particle Man

Aug 24, 2004
    Just got one from Avatar Speakers along with an 8 ohm SB112. I agree that it has plenty of kick for the power. Haven't given it a real workout yet, but no regrets right now.

15. I guarantee it can run 2 8 ohm cabs - because I have an 8 ohm avatar 115 and an 8 ohm avatar 210 hooked up to my mag 300 right now. There are 2 quarter inch connectors on the back of the Mag.

16. Jazzin'

Ok, thankyou all very much, it seems that all Mag300s have the 2 1/4" holes. On music123, the Ashdown Mag300R (made for rack) has free shipping but the Ashdown Mag300H does not have free shipping. Is this because the H weighs slightly more? Or is this a mistake? Because I think they should considered the same thing.

17. Jazzin'

It looks like I'll be able to get what I really wanted to get now. The Avatar B212 and the Ashdown Mag300H from Avatar speakers. My brother is an audio equipment distributor, and was able to get them to ship me one to him.
    :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: So after I talk this over with my parents about the $$$ since I do not have that kind of $$$ lying around, I should be getting the rig! :D