Ashdown MAG 300H Input Level

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BELLATOR, Oct 21, 2005.

Sep 7, 2005
    So I just received the Avatar SB112 Cab to join my Ashdown 300H head today and I played for a while this afternoon. I noticed a few things that were out of the ordinary. First, the needle on the VU display doesn't seem to move much and almost always stays to the extreme left. If I want to zero the needle I would have to turn the level knob to the max. I don't want to do this for a few reasons though :) The other thing is that the EQ and Subharmonics don't do much at all. I mean, I have to turn the knobs on the EQ quite far to the right to hear a substantial change in pitch except for the Bass knob. When I play through a BOSS ODB3 pedal I can easily notice the EQ change though. I'm just wondering how high I should have the input level because the sound is very nice despite these few little discrepencies. The EQ works well enough for the amount I would use it anyway but I just need to know where to have the input level knob because I don't want to blow something in a brand new head. Please let me know more about Ashdown MAG 300H fine tunings. Thanks.
  2. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I don't get too hung up on the VU meter for a few different reasons... First, is the sound okay? Second, it seems, (on my MAG300 anyway), to be affected by the amp's EQ, which, in my thinking, is contrary...

Gain staging says that you want the hottest signal, without distortion or added noise, passing on to the next stage... In this case, you'd want the power amp to see the hottest clean signal from the preamp, (greatly simplified, but you get the gist...)

I have the Input dimed on my amp, and playing my P full up with a moderately heavy touch, the VU stays out of the red... Here's where it gets weird, (to me anyway). As I make EQ changes on the amp, (especially lows and low mids), the VU's level also changes. This makes me think that the VU is less measuring input signal, and rather measuring the preamp level being sent to the power section, (as well as the DI, as it is post-eq also). Try setting your EQ flat, (straight up), maxxing the input control, and then see if EQ changes affect your amp the same way... Oh yeah, this is gonna sound lame, but there is a button on the front panel labeled 'In/Out EQ'... Make sure that this is depressed to engage the EQ... I know, I know, but I had to point it out, just in case.

I also play an active '78 Musicmaster through the passive jack, and this can easily peg the meter, (it's a very hot signal coming from the bass)... I just turn down the input control to about 2 o'clock and it stays out of the red...

The good news is that I am getting a nice clean signal to the power section, which then amplifies it nicely. This amp definitely gets loud!

The SubHarmonic control is very subtle, and to be honest, I stay away from it. Some like it though... Sounds like you get to do some experimentation!

3. Ray-man

Ray-man Guest

Sep 10, 2005
    Make sure you have the IN/OUT EQ button pushed in or the EQ knobs become inactive.

Also, the Subharmonic control can be inaudible in the lower ranges. Crank it all the way up and play some stuff above the 12th fret on the D and G strings. You'll hear it just fine then. Personally, I don't have much use for it.
  4. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    +1 on all those. The EQ makes a huge impact. Also, the input doesn't need to be centered and if your bass has low output pups, go ahead and turn the input to the max.

Sep 7, 2005
    Well, I tried to see if the VU would change much with the EQ at flat but it's just the same. If I turn up the bass knob on the EQ the needle will move quickly to the right. I just read in the manual that the VU meter had to be set to zero when making EQ changes but zero is right before the red section and is a far distance to move from where the needle is presently. So what you guys are saying is, I don't really have to worry to much about the VU meter reading as long as the sound is clear and there's no clipping or distortion? Where should I keep the input level knob then? Isn't maxing out the input knob kind of savage on the preamp though?

PS I made sure from the start and even before posting the first thread that I never had the EQ button off :)