1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ashdown MAG C115-300 EVO II Combo vs. Trace Elliot 715 Combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by refbassist, Oct 25, 2009.

1. refbassist

refbassist

Mar 3, 2007
    I need some help to choose between these 2 combos they both look good and withing my budget range but it's always the pain of making a choice,any opinions?

Trace Elliot 715:
    [​IMG]
    Additional speaker output (8 Ohms minimum load).
    Preshape circuit.
    7-band classic Graphic Equalizer.
    Compressor with self-adjusting program dependant Attack/Release times.
    Series effects loop.
    Output Mute switch, active on all outputs except Tuner Out.
    Electronically balanced XLR DI outputs for Pre and Post Preamp.
    MOSFET technology 200 Watts output stage.
    15" (382mm) special design Celestion speaker.
    High frequency horn.
    Footswitch allowing control of Preshape, Graphic EQ, Compressor and Output Mute.
    Cabinet tuned, with bottom unobstructed slot, to 42Hz.
    Lightweight poplar plywood construction.
    Original classy black ‘pimple' covered.
    Metal handles and protective corners.
    Dimensions (HxWxD): 24.5'' (622mm) x 19.3'' (491mm) x 13.2'' (335mm)
    Weight: 64.6lbs (29.3kg)

Ashdown MAG C115-300 EVO II Combo:

[​IMG]

Power Output (RMS) 307W
    Power Requirement 230 / 115V
    Speaker Configuration 1 x 15" BlueLine speaker
    Frequency Response -3dB at 17Hz and 30KHz
    Speaker Outputs Minimum impedance 4 Ohms
    High Instrument Input Impedance 3.9MOhms / Input range 150mV - 20V p-p
    Low Instrument Input Impedance 10KOhms / Input range 300mV - 40V p-p
    Line Input Impedance 22k Ohms / Input level 0dBu nominal
    DI Output 600 Ohms balanced / Level -20dBu nominal
    Tuner Output Impedance 22k Ohms, level 0dBu nominal
    Signal to noise Better than 80dB (EQ flat)
    EQ Bass +/-15dB @ 100Hz
    Lo Mid +/-15dB @ 220Hz
    Middle +/-15dB @ 660Hz
    Hi Mid +/-15dB @ 1.6kHz
    Treble +/-15dB @ 7kHz shelving
    Deep +8dB @ 50Hz
    Bright +10dB @ 10kHz
    Effects Send Impedance 22k Ohms, level 0dBu nominal
    Effects Return Impedance 22k Ohms / Level 0dBu nominal
    Distortion Less than 0.5% THD
    H x W x D (mm) 581 x 474 x 300
    Weight (kg) 28

2. refbassist

refbassist

Mar 3, 2007
    i tried the ashdown today the amp is so good and when you think about the price it's a perfect deal but one thing turns me off is that it's made in china and sadly i can't find the TE around where i live but somehow i feel it's what suites me,i still need some input on this if anyone has any experience with either of this 2!!!

3. baddarryl

baddarryl Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2008
    Cape Fear!
    I have the Ashdown 2x10 version of that without the compressor. Very warm sounding for a SS. Needs an extension cab to get the 307W otherwise it runs at 160W. Adding a 1x15 to mine really rounded out the tone. VU meter quit working, but I don't play loud enough to need it. Recommend? Yes, but I do love Trace Elliot stuff on the whole. BTW I am pretty sure the guys behind Ashdown were the ones behind the legendary TE of days past. Not many people seem to carry either brand though. At least not here in NC which has me a little leery of upgrading to an ABM.

Adding to this thread is the TE stuff of today on par with what used to be?

4. refbassist

refbassist

Mar 3, 2007
    thanks for the reply,..
    i really love the tone of the ashdown but the build quality is the only minus,about the TE from what i have been reading online is considered a comeback for them but again it's only available from an online shop so i can't try it,

5. I have the Ashdown 2 x 10" combo (same amp section) and highly recommend it and Trace Elliot gear has a good reputation as well, guys I know swear by them!.

I would say that the only thing that splits them for me is the "Footswitch allowing control of Preshape, Graphic EQ, Compressor and Output Mute", which the Trace Elliot has and the Ashdown doesn't.

I don't have an issue with the build quality of the Ashdown myself, it seems well enough put together. One thing I'll mention though, the latest ones are covered in vinyl (as in your picture), earlier ones - I bought mine in Feb this year - are covered in rat fur (carpet)!!.

6. baddarryl

baddarryl Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2008
    Cape Fear!
    Yeah, I gotta admit that foot switch seems nice and the pre shape control too.

7. John Herzog

John Herzog

Jun 14, 2002
    Schertz, TX
    I just got the Trace 715 and I'm going to send it back. It's got a buzz almost a crackle to it, not a hum or hiss at all volume levels. The buzz is even in the DI. I tried everything to try and figure out was causing it, pre-amp at a minimum, compressor off, and even no bass or cable plugged in but it's still there. Also there is no additional speaker output on it. I really wanted to like the amp, but the buzz is a deal killer for me. I found another thread in this forum where another person experienced the same problem, seems to be a design flaw which may be why that model has been discontinued.

8. refbassist

refbassist

Mar 3, 2007
    got to admit it's a plus and also comes with cover :)

^^^now this's scary but do you think it's a general problem or it could be a coincidence?!!

9. John Herzog

John Herzog

Jun 14, 2002
    Schertz, TX
    I think it is a general problem. See this thread.

Also on Sunday I sent an email to Peavey since they handle the amp here in North America asking if this was a simple problem that could be fixed by a repair shop, I have yet to receive a response. I'll be calling AMS tomorrow to return it.

10. PBass101

PBass101

Jul 3, 2008
    Illinois
    Ashdown's Blueline speakers suck. No clarity or definition whatsoever. They turn any effects I've ever tried to use into mush, too.

11. refbassist

refbassist

Mar 3, 2007
    seems like everybody is having problem with them too sad cos i was gonna order it :(

12. refbassist

refbassist

Mar 3, 2007
    ok i ordered the ashdown already thanks alot for the help!!

13. John Herzog

John Herzog

Jun 14, 2002
    Schertz, TX
    So did you get it yet?

14. cwop

cwop

Jul 24, 2009
    Never owned either but I think I remember reading on the
    715 when you connect an external cab (8 ohm) it
    disconnects the internal speaker.....not good.

15. refbassist

refbassist

Mar 3, 2007
    i'm keeping my high hopes it comes tomorrow,will let you know!
    what happened with your amp?

16. tracecrete

tracecrete

Feb 7, 2010
    I have the 715 combo and it has the same buzz and intermodulation problems esp at low levels.
    I phoned TE and they said this was a known problem with some of the earlier amps.
    Apparently there is a fairly simple fix (it is a problem with the output stages of the power amp) but it needs to go back to them to fix it - which is what I am doing now.
    Will keep you posted on the results.

17. larsbs

larsbs

Feb 25, 2010
    Hi! Any news on this? I have a noisy TE too.

18. MrMapleglo

MrMapleglo

Nov 5, 2010
    I got a 715 combo about a year ago and it's absolutely great. With the volume wound fully up and my bass plugged in there's barely any sound comes out of it until you hit the strings. At full volume there's a slight quiet hiss, but I could never use the amp at that kind of volume. Sounds like there's good ones and bad ones out there, and I've been lucky and got a good 'un.

I did have all the vinyl covering peel off the back panel after I'd had it a week, but that was a problem with the glue they'd used apparently, and they gave me a replacement amp, no questions asked.