Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ashdown Mini 4x8

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JMasc, Jul 1, 2005.

1. JMasc

JMasc

Jul 1, 2005
    Binghamton, Ny
    Im considering buying a Ashdown Mini 4x8 b/c the price on it is only $320 from 580. Im debating on what head to buy though. My budget is around $300. I have been looking around on ebay and I was thinking about the Ampeg b2r head or the Yorkville XS400H. If anyone could give me some advice on if this would be a good setup or what would be I would apperciate it. The style of music I am playing is Metal/Hardcore.

2. I have one of these, and use it with a Hartke 3500, which sounds nice. However, would say that for music where a full, loud, deep sound is needed, it is best used with a 15" cab also, for the bottom end. Not that the 4*8 is lacking, just that is it small, and you need to shift the air.

3. JMasc

JMasc

Jul 1, 2005
    Binghamton, Ny
    So I would still be able to get decent sound with just the 4x8 untill I am able to add on the 1x15?

4. You would - it is a very nice sound, but it depends on how loud you need it to be. 8" speakers are not 10s or 15s, and I find that used on its own the cab can get a bit "honky" if you know what I mean as you push it.

I like mine as it is small (not light though) - you really need to try one I think

5. JMasc

JMasc

Jul 1, 2005
    Binghamton, Ny
    I need it to be loud enough to play a club type atmosphere with around 1-500people. So nothing to big.

6. It shouls be OK, but better with a 15" cab (the matchin mini15 goes well). Just dont expect earth shattering lows at high volumes.

I go through our PA, so it is fine for me for onstage monitoring purposes.

7. JMasc

JMasc

Jul 1, 2005
    Binghamton, Ny
    Would it be possible for me to run my 1x12 hartke with it for now? It is 120 Watts @ 8 Ohms.

8. You could. The mini48 is 8 ohms too, so both together would be a 4 ohm load, which most heads should drive.

Try the Ashdown heads too if you can - the ABM stuff is GREAT

9. JMasc

JMasc

Jul 1, 2005
    Binghamton, Ny
    Alright, i'll check them out.
    Thanks for the help. :)

10. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    JMasc, sent you a PM.

11. lildrgn

lildrgn

Jul 11, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    $320??!?!?!! Sign me up. A store up here quoted me $569 (down from $799!)new. Is the $320 new or used?

12. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    I think it was a "blemished" unit at zZounds.com

* I missed it by...that much * :bawl:

BUT, seein's how I'm single, hence --> excellent credit rating :rolleyes: :p,
    I got one at ~$580 anyways for my birthday

dang, it's a fun little box :hyper:

I was a little concerned though; an online German store had it spec'd at
    75Hz to 20KHz. I ran a 100 watt tube head into it and started playin
    open E a bit. No problemo. I can see where adding a 12" or 15" would
    prevent high power level fartin' and give more "oomph" though