1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

ashdown mk500

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cerberus fw, Jan 3, 2012.

1. cerberus fw

cerberus fw

Jan 3, 2012
    im thinking of buying that head and i want some more opinion, can u help me?
    hails from cyprus!

2. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    I had one briefly, a few years ago. It sounded great except for a nasty loud buzzing I could never get rid of, but others on TB have mentioned not having that problem. Right now, there are so many great amps on the market that weight 7 to 8 time less, that i could not see buying a 31 lb. amp anymore.

If you can, provide us with more info, like what kind of basses you play, what kinds of sounds/tones you like, etc. We can be more helpful, then. :cool:

3. 4-string

4-string

Jul 23, 2006
    Norway
    MK-500 has been my main gigging amp for the last three years, never had a problem, and always sounds great. No noise issues either.

Pretty simple and basic head despite the 12-band graphic eq. I love the red colour. :)

4. cerberus fw

cerberus fw

Jan 3, 2012
    now im using a 4 string ibanez gsr 200 but im gonna buy a 5 string ibanez btb and im playing in a black metal band ( not like norwegians black metal bands) our music is a crossover of norwegian and hellenic black metal so there is a lot of atmosphere in our music, i want my bass sound low and crystal clear i dont really like using much treble.

5. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Don't bother with the MK500 then, one of it's finest features are it's crystaline treble, along with the Harmonic Enhancer, that gives even MORE treble!

Look into an Aguilar DB750 or DB751, or a Genz-Benz Streamliner 600/900, these will be better for the tone you are looking for. :cool:

6. cerberus fw

cerberus fw

Jan 3, 2012
    okz man thnx a lot!